Author Topic: Dosing Funnel, Orphan Espresso - Travel and Try  (Read 4100 times)

BoldJava

Re: Dosing Funnel, Orphan Espresso - Travel and Try
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2011, 09:12:12 AM »
Big John.  Shoot him a PM for his JohnDenverRockyMtn address.  List is in the 1st post.

B|Java

Offline YasBean

• Standard User
  • Lever that sucker!
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2011, 10:28:23 PM »
I've been thinking of it.  Put me on the list. :)
Londinium L1, Bullet R1, Compak E8, VBM DB, Vario, Hario Vac

BoldJava

« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2011, 03:43:42 AM »
I've been thinking of it.  Put me on the list. :)

You are in.  See 1st post for travel order.

BJava

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2011, 06:21:06 PM »
Got it today....testing tomorrow...

Will report back directly.  8)
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2011, 05:26:26 PM »
My thoughts on the funnel.

The good:

It's got a very nice feel to it. I'd say it adds some class to the espresso ritual in the way a nice cutter does with cigars. Overall I like it.

The not as good:

I did not realize something this small would alter my SOP.. I actually had to change my grinding routine a little and make some other minor adjustments. Kinda strange...just a little thing, but it was my observation.

I don't use the yogurt cup but if I did I'd JUMP on one of these in a heartbeat. Because I don't use any funnel now adding it in would  be a change in my routine that I don't think would add anything to my shot building...

So I probably will not buy one of these but I still like it and think it would be a significant upgrade for those that use a chopped up yoplait cup.
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

BoldJava

« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2011, 03:11:03 AM »
Get ready Ron, porch vigil begins.

B|Java

Offline Ron_L

• Standard User
  • Proud Member of the Wisconsin-Illinois Cabal
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2011, 11:45:41 AM »
Get ready Ron, porch vigil begins.

B|Java

I was out of town all week so I didn't even have to watch for it. It was here when I came home.

I've been using a yogurt cup and one of the original dissecting needles that were sent out years ago.  The funnel is an upscale option, but for me it is too short.  I dose directly into the yogurt cup (inserted into the PF/Basket combo) now, and it is relatively clean.  With the funnel I ended up with coffee all over the counter.  I would have to alter my process and grind into a small container and then pour the coffee into the funnel and PF/basket.  If I'm going to do that, I may as well keep on dosing into my low tech yogurt cup :)

BoldJava

« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2011, 11:55:27 AM »
...  The funnel is an upscale option, but for me it is too short.  I dose directly into the yogurt cup (inserted into the PF/Basket combo) now, and it is relatively clean.  With the funnel I ended up with coffee all over the counter...

Fair enough -- amazing how different all of our techniques are.

Get ready YasBean.  If you wish to be added to the list, sing out now, before it comes home to roost.

>>>
List of players (keep it a week or until next person pops on list)

Expy98
RandyTsuch
JohnF
RonL

YasBean
>>>

B|Java
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 01:27:18 PM by BoldJava »

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2011, 01:03:50 PM »
- amazing how differently all of our techniques are.

It is... 

I really liked it but using it added a step to my process that I don't need to add.

It added a coolness factor that I'd have liked to keep but at the end of the day an additional step in my routine.

Lee Morrison

Offline Ron_L

• Standard User
  • Proud Member of the Wisconsin-Illinois Cabal
« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2011, 09:25:53 AM »

Fair enough -- amazing how different all of our techniques are.

Get ready YasBean.  If you wish to be added to the list, sing out now, before it comes home to roost.

B|Java

I guess I'm just to stubborn to change :-D

I'm taking the envelope for Yasbean to the P.O. at lunch.

Offline YasBean

• Standard User
  • Lever that sucker!
« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2011, 10:36:52 AM »
What a week!  I received the funnel late last week, and have had enough time with it to decide that I want one.  I had to lower the fork on my Vario, and now have it set just right!  (Had I had one of these earlier, I would not have troubled Baratza for a replacement to my early-model porta-filter fork.)  No longer do I get the spray and overflow from the Vario.  My only complaint is that the grounds are centered in the basket, as the funnel places the portafilter at a greater distance out from the Vario grounds outlet.  This inconvenience, however, is minor compared to the convenience of not having to clean grounds from under my VBM.  Now, if only we could get a group buy at <$10!  ;)  I will miss this funnel as it flies back to cheddar-land, but the good news is, it will be replaced in a short while.
Londinium L1, Bullet R1, Compak E8, VBM DB, Vario, Hario Vac