Author Topic: Peaberry problems in a Hottop?  (Read 1143 times)

Offline Coffeefreak

• Standard User
Peaberry problems in a Hottop?
« on: February 18, 2011, 08:44:11 AM »
I have been somewhat hesitant to purchase any peaberry since I acquired my Hottop B.
From the appearance of the holes in the drum, it seems that it is more than likely that some of the smaller sized beans could become wedged in during the roast. What I have been able to find by looking at posts on GCBC is that some have encountered no problem, while others are also apprehensive.

May I draw out some more responses on this topic by those who have "been there and done it?"

Offline Mlee

• Standard User
  • Roaster-Hottop b Espresso-Gagggia espresso
Re: Peaberry problems in a Hottop?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 10:02:52 AM »
I have never had a problem with the peaberies. Some of the larger beans are prone to getting wedged in some of the support pieces at times.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2011, 02:06:21 PM by Mlee »
Prov 3:5-6-Trust in the Lord with all your heart
                Lean not on your own understanding
                Acknowledge Him in all your ways
                And He will make your paths straight

Offline staylor

• Standard User
  • Back in Canada and the espresso still tastes good.
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 10:04:40 AM »
I have been somewhat hesitant to purchase any peaberry since I acquired my Hottop B.
From the appearance of the holes in the drum, it seems that it is more than likely that some of the smaller sized beans could become wedged in during the roast. What I have been able to find by looking at posts on GCBC is that some have encountered no problem, while others are also apprehensive.

May I draw out some more responses on this topic by those who have "been there and done it?"

I will roast anything in my Hottop. Lots of peaberry roasts and small Ethiopian, etc. If I'm concerned (rarely) I just pull the front cover after the roast to see if any got stuck in a drum hole. IF there are any stuck it might only be one or two in total and that's a big IF.

Tex

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2011, 12:00:42 PM »
I never had a problem with the smallest of beans. Are you sure you're not confusing the Hottop & Behmor, which does have problems with small beans?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2011, 03:33:30 PM by Tex »

Offline Coffeefreak

• Standard User
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2011, 01:17:35 PM »
That confusion could be in the back of my mind. Purchasing the Hottop was a major investment, and I certainly want to err on the side of caution. ;D

All of the responses that I have received here have given me assurance. When I place my next bean order, there is no reason for me to hesitate about bean size now.

Thanks again to all

Offline YasBean

• Standard User
  • Lever that sucker!
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2011, 01:39:41 PM »
I have never had any problems!
Londinium L1, Bullet R1, Compak E8, VBM DB, Vario, Hario Vac

Offline Warrior372

• Standard User
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2011, 10:17:13 AM »
I have never had a problem either.

Offline Coffeefreak

• Standard User
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2011, 10:41:44 AM »
I had also asked Michael at Hottop and he said that one can always expect one or two beans to stick somewhere, regardless of bean size. Thanks for the many responses; By now we can consider my query happily closed. ;D