Author Topic: 12-oz Espro Toroid Milk Pitcher, Travel and Lottery  (Read 7186 times)

BoldJava

12-oz Espro Toroid Milk Pitcher, Travel and Lottery
« on: March 01, 2011, 06:02:56 AM »
Time for another one.  Santa brought me a 12-oz Toroid pitcher for Christmas and overnight, my foam improved 1000%. I love it.  The Czarina immediately took note and asked "why is this cremier and tighter?"  Shiny, tight.  I have a second 12-ounce one ordered from orphan espresso and am offering it up for trial and auction. 

Three differences I noted out of the gate from my standard pitcher.  Made better -- spot welded handle.  Indentation in the bottom creates different milk turbulence.  Pouring spout is different; elongated (I still can't pour for beans but that hasn't anything to do with the pitcher). 

Need five or more to pay.  Fewer than that, I will just mail it out to the 1st of those playing.  Jump in.  If we get five or more, I will pick a random number via .  That person will go to the bottom of the list and receive it last but keep it.

5   $7.50
6   $6.25
7   $5.35
8   $4.75
9   $4.25
10   $3.75

Let's save the argument.  You can learn to nail micro foam on any pitcher with lots of practice.  However, if you are a Sunday morning quarterback like me and prefer to take a short-cut, consider the Toroid.  This is for the non-purists among us.   Viva la diffe'rence.

Sign up here.  I will let this run a week or until we have 10, whichever comes first.

B|Java

List
1 jspain, pd
2 JohnF, pd
3 ReddyK, pd
4 simmich, pd
5 Expy98, pd
6 RandyTsuch, pd
7 Tyme, pd

8 ecc, pd
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 02:09:52 PM by Joe »

jspain

Re: 12-oz Espro Toroid Milk Pitcher, Travel and Lottery
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2011, 07:25:49 AM »
B/J,

jspain is first on your list!

ecc

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2011, 09:10:58 AM »
I'm in!

I have a small rattleware bell pitcher that looks almost identical, it would be interesting to see what the differences are.

Offline staylor

• Standard User
  • Back in Canada and the espresso still tastes good.
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 09:40:10 AM »

Let's save the argument.  You can learn to nail micro foam on any pitcher with lots of practice.  However, if you are a Sunday morning quarterback like me and prefer to take a short-cut, consider the Toroid.  This is for the non-purists among us.   Viva la diffe'rence.

B|Java

I think it's a cool idea, no pushback from us 'able to steam microfoam in a random household article, like a leftover Luke Skywalker Lego head or banana peel' kind of baristas.

Interestingly, one of the guys involved with the creative push and beta testing of the Toroid way back in the day was in my kitchen (I think it would be about 5 or 6yrs ago) to check out my relatively new BII. We were both working on different milk steaming techniques checking out two different tips and he was talking about a 'new pitcher' that was gonna be 'really good' but he couldn't tell me anything more about it. To this day I still haven't used one.

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2011, 09:59:47 AM »
Another one I want in on..

Giddy up! 
 ;)
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline ReddyK

• Standard User
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2011, 02:43:31 PM »
I am in for this one!
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
Thomas Jefferson

Offline simmich

• Standard User
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2011, 05:42:52 PM »
Definitely want to get in on this one!

BoldJava

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2011, 07:00:05 PM »
It's a go.  We have 5; room for 5 more.

B|Java

Offline expy98

• Standard User
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2011, 04:53:36 PM »
pls count me in!!!  my pours are more Impressionistic but I'd rather be
closer to Digital Art...

BoldJava

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2011, 05:36:56 PM »
pls count me in!!!  my pours are more Impressionistic but I'd rather be
closer to Digital Art...

Got it.

B|Java

BoldJava

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2011, 02:52:15 AM »
OK, I want to play, maybe it will help my sad art.

Randy

Got it.  We are at 7.  I will be offline this weekend, till Sunday eve.  I will ask ecc to monitor the thread and cut it off at 10 should that occur.

B|Java

tyme

« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2011, 09:53:35 AM »
If everyone doesn't mind a greenhorn in the mix, I would like to try the Toroid.

When I went from a ~20oz krups pitcher to a 12oz standard from SM's it really seemed to improve my frothing and my latte finger painting :D (art).
It would be great to see if this pitcher would further improve frothing on the Pavoni.

Thanks,
Tyler

BoldJava

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2011, 03:03:20 PM »
If everyone doesn't mind a greenhorn in the mix, I would like to try the Toroid...

Thanks,
Tyler

Tyler, you are more than welcome.  I will close the list on Tuesday, assign numbers, and have random.org pick the winner.  I will rearrange the list to put the winner last in the list and then get the pitcher on tour.

B|Java

BoldJava

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2011, 04:35:57 AM »
Last date for sign up.

B|Java

BoldJava

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2011, 05:56:21 AM »
Link at H-B discussing the Toroid as well as a discussion re: different frothing wands.  http://www.home-barista.com/tips/espro-toroid-pitcher-newbies-review-t9687.html

I put 4 or so ounces of 2% milk in the pitcher and into the freezer it goes while I work on the coffee.  Once the shot it ready, I pull the pitcher from the freezer.  I put the wand straight down; no tipping. The raised hump in the base creates the turbulence so the tip isn't necessary.  I have been stretching less and sinking the wand earlier, getting tighter foam, richer foam.  I quit stretching between 95-100* (and trying even lower lately).  I have also been pulling it earlier (125*) as it continues to heat (~140-145*) even after being pulled.  This is creating a sweeter, thicker microfoam.

My review of the Toroid? A great crutch; a jump-start. A winner for those of us who haven't the time, interest, or inclination to master the milk.  Delighted with the one I got at Christmas and thought I would put a second one on tour.  Your mileage may vary.

B|Java

« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 07:44:27 AM by BoldJava »