Author Topic: 12-oz Espro Toroid Milk Pitcher, Travel and Lottery  (Read 7188 times)

jspain

Re: 12-oz Espro Toroid Milk Pitcher, Travel and Lottery
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2011, 01:29:39 PM »
what, no user manual for this gadget neither???

Well, I did see a little something in the bottom of the box, but who needs directions???? I just ordered the 20oz version!!!  Jim

Offline expy98

• Standard User
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2011, 03:22:36 PM »
haha, this from the guy that needed a manual for the funnel :-)

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2011, 05:17:00 PM »
Here are my thoughts on the pitcher..

It's cool.

After using it a bit I went back to my normal pitcher and for me I like them both. I find no strong preference over the design helping swirl or tilting my normal pitcher.

I do like the size of it and just might buy one.

I cheated by not following the directions and reading the tutorials but I'm still happy with what I got from test driving it...I give it two thumbs up.
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

BoldJava

« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2011, 03:12:58 AM »
Reddy K, trust you can read directions better than Pikes Peaker did <grins>. You are next.

B|Java

jspain

« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2011, 04:05:37 AM »
I got my 20oz model about a week ago. I've used her several times. 6oz of milk is perrrrrrfect! My large double Latte's are now a smooth microfoam. The 20ozer works well too. Jim

Offline simmich

• Standard User
« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2011, 05:25:53 PM »
The pitcher was in my mailbox when I got home from the gym today...Hmmmmmmmn. My son gifted me a Rattleware pitcher a couple days ago so I guess it will be an interesting week for milky 'spresso drinks at mi casa.  ;D 

BoldJava

« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2011, 03:52:55 AM »
I guess that means ReddyK has had his turn with the pitcher?  May I cross him off?

B|Java

Offline simmich

• Standard User
« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2011, 08:38:19 AM »
I guess that means ReddyK has had his turn with the pitcher?  May I cross him off?

B|Java

Yep...the pitcher is here. I'm gonna try and get toroidal with it... :)

Offline ReddyK

• Standard User
« Reply #39 on: April 06, 2011, 09:50:38 PM »
Oh yes, I have had my turn with the little shiny pitcher. I liked the pitcher because of the heavy weight and the narrow spout.  I expected the "dimple" in the bottom to be larger. I could not tell the difference in the quality of the foam from this pitcher and my other pitchers.  However I was very impressed with the spout. It improved my "art" greatly so, I will be purchasing the larger size.
Thanks,
Steve
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".
Thomas Jefferson

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #40 on: April 11, 2011, 08:26:54 PM »
First off...I didn't read the directions so these are my uninstructed observations...

It didn't make a typical whirlpool for me. It was more like a curling effect and by altering the angle it was easy to curl sections of the milk. Very easy to work the milk but its a bit different from a typical whirlpool.
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

BoldJava

« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2011, 06:20:33 AM »
As I missed out on this traveling roadshow, maybe someone can speak to if they feel that the Toroid helps to get the whirlpool started and keep it going...

Chris, I have no base of comparison/reference to the questions you asked.  I can only speak to my experience.

I do very limited steaming.  My milk in conventional generic frothing pitchers was a train wreck, no insult meant to the train.  The Toroid produces nicely textured milk, time after time, for me.  Keep in mind my limited reference points and experience with milk.  The pitcher pushed me into the hero's circle with the Czarina.  I tried to give the credit to the pitcher but she insisted that it had to be me.  I am bearing the credit with due humility.

B|Java

BoldJava

« Reply #42 on: April 14, 2011, 06:21:45 AM »
what, no user manual for this gadget neither???

Oh my, Expy has the pitcher without instructions.  This should be interesting <grins>.

B|Java

Offline expy98

• Standard User
« Reply #43 on: April 14, 2011, 11:09:39 AM »
First try with the Espro this morning.  I've been using the common 12 and 20oz
straight wall pitchers, but never able to roll more than 5 or 6 oz of milk, most likely
because my machine's steaming capacity is not that strong.  It takes
about 45 secs to bring 6oz of milk from fridge to 140F.  

My steam tip has 2 small .9mm holes.  I've tried straight down, at an angle and
with the pitcher flying across the room and can't get any consistency, well
consistently not-quite-perfect.

This morning, I filled the Espro with about 5oz, left tip straight down.  It did seem
to roll slightly better than w/ my pitcher, the narrow neck of the pitcher helped what little
rolling action on the surface.  I'll try it at an angle tomorrow but my guess is that's
not how it's designed to be used.  

Compared w/ my 12oz pitcher, it def seems better and easier to use, just point straight down.
But the 20oz may be better and I can use it straight or at an angle and get about the same
results.  

Again, I think my machine's weak steaming capacity is the likely bottleneck.  Surely can't
be me...

I plan to descale my machine next week to see if that helps it any.  It's been about 6 months
since my last descale and eventho I use RO water, there's still buildups.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 11:20:20 AM by expy98 »

Offline expy98

• Standard User
« Reply #44 on: April 21, 2011, 02:16:40 PM »
pitcher on way to Randy...