Author Topic: Espresso Advice  (Read 993 times)

ph33nyx

Espresso Advice
« on: June 03, 2011, 12:17:37 PM »
I know this topic has probably been slaughtered, but I found a good deal on a DeLonghi EC702 and was wondering if it's a decent machine (it has to be better than the old Sulton my brother gave me).

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
Re: Espresso Advice
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 12:43:44 PM »
I don't think it will do.
 :-\
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2011, 12:44:21 PM »
I have not made the jump to espresso because reading through all the experiences of others has taught me that its a frustrating trip unless I start with a very good grinder and espresso machine..  The DeLonghi didn't get many good reviews in my research..

ph33nyx

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2011, 12:51:56 PM »
Ok....
What about the Gaggia Evolution?

Tex

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2011, 01:05:09 PM »
Excerpted from the Gaggia users group home page;

The  espresso grinder  is the key to making quality espresso and there is no way to achieve satisfactory results without a good one. It's impossible to make quality espresso with preground coffee.

The espresso machine is the least important part of the equation. I suggest the purchase of a basic Gaggia model, either an Espresso, Coffee, Evolution, or Carezza. If your plan is to use the machine more frequently, say for entertaining, then I'd advise upgrading to a 3-way solenoid equipped machine such as the Classic or Baby.

You can get by with a so-so espresso machine if you have a good espresso grinder. The best espresso machine will result in an unhappy user if it's paired with a so-so grinder.

ph33nyx

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2011, 01:11:04 PM »
A hand grinder would be ok, wouldn't it?

Offline Warrior372

• Standard User
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2011, 01:16:58 PM »
A high quality, well taken care of hand grinder would be a very good start. Most are adjustable down to the fineness you would need for espresso, but not all allow adjusting to this fine of a grind.

ph33nyx

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2011, 01:24:01 PM »
I pick up a KYOCERA CM-50 from Orphan Espresso since my other hand grinder was experiencing a shaft "wobble" at coarser grinds.

Tex

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2011, 03:33:33 PM »
A hand grinder would be ok, wouldn't it?

I'll let you know after I try out the Pharos. Generally, you couldn't get me to use a hand grinder for everyday use: It's just too much work!

ph33nyx

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2011, 04:56:10 AM »
Thanks Tex!
I look forward to hearing your results.

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2011, 05:39:29 AM »
Thanks Tex!
I look forward to hearing your results.

You should look into getting a nice used commercial espresso grinder that is in decent condition.  Bit of an investment but you will never look back.
I'd wager to say you will never need another espresso grinder, unless you bore easily or become a collector.

You should be able to pick one up for under $300.00 if you are patient and look often.

Some to keep in mind is Mazzer, Macap, La Cimbali, Rancillio, Florenzato, Nuova Simmonelli.

I hope that helps

:)

1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

ph33nyx

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2011, 05:11:26 PM »

You should look into getting a nice used commercial espresso grinder that is in decent condition.  Bit of an investment but you will never look back.
I'd wager to say you will never need another espresso grinder, unless you bore easily or become a collector.

You should be able to pick one up for under $300.00 if you are patient and look often.

Some to keep in mind is Mazzer, Macap, La Cimbali, Rancillio, Florenzato, Nuova Simmonelli.

I hope that helps

I've definitively got to look into another grinder. I went to the store and bought a pre-ground espresso roast, just to see what it looked and felt like (don't brand me with heresy). And, while my hand grinder will achieve the fineness the consistency isn't there.

EricBNC

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2011, 07:02:38 PM »
I know this topic has probably been slaughtered, but I found a good deal on a DeLonghi EC702 and was wondering if it's a decent machine (it has to be better than the old Sulton my brother gave me).

How good a deal?

There is a review over on Amazon that speaks to the amazing speed of the DeLonghi EC702 machine:

"---- UPDATE 4 Months Later ----

I just bought 2 more of these machines as holiday gifts, thats how much I love it. It has consistently made perfect coffee for me the last 4 months, a cinch to clean, and incredibly fast. One of the things I love most about it is how fast I can make coffee in the morning over all the other methods I have tried. I just used a stopwatch and timed how long it took to make 2 double shots from the moment I turned the machine on, this included grinding the beans in my Breville grinder. It took 90 seconds for the green 'ready' light to come on, and withing 90 more seconds I made 2 double shots! Espresso in about 3 minutes, not bad! It took just another minute to run some water through the filter and have the machine cleaned and off. Now that is FAST. I have tried every other method for making coffee, drip/cone/French-press/Moka espresso machines, none of them was this fast or delicious. Amazing the best coffee can be the fastest."

http://www.amazon.com/review/R2A1YH6954E7PQ/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm

From cold start to 2 shots - 2 shots that are reported to be "not bad!" in 3 minutes - what does the manual know anyway?

Tex

« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2011, 08:21:28 PM »

How good a deal?

There is a review over on Amazon that speaks to the amazing speed of the DeLonghi EC702 machine:

"---- UPDATE 4 Months Later ----

I just bought 2 more of these machines as holiday gifts, thats how much I love it. It has consistently made perfect coffee for me the last 4 months, a cinch to clean, and incredibly fast. One of the things I love most about it is how fast I can make coffee in the morning over all the other methods I have tried. I just used a stopwatch and timed how long it took to make 2 double shots from the moment I turned the machine on, this included grinding the beans in my Breville grinder. It took 90 seconds for the green 'ready' light to come on, and withing 90 more seconds I made 2 double shots! Espresso in about 3 minutes, not bad! It took just another minute to run some water through the filter and have the machine cleaned and off. Now that is FAST. I have tried every other method for making coffee, drip/cone/French-press/Moka espresso machines, none of them was this fast or delicious. Amazing the best coffee can be the fastest."

http://www.amazon.com/review/R2A1YH6954E7PQ/ref=cm_cr_rdp_perm

From cold start to 2 shots - 2 shots that are reported to be "not bad!" in 3 minutes - what does the manual know anyway?

According to my grandpa, "Opinions are like a woman's butt, in that every woman has one. Some you'll be happy to see and others are best left unseen." This review should never have seen the light of day.

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2011, 05:46:37 AM »
According to my grandpa, "Opinions are like a woman's butt, in that every woman has one. Some you'll be happy to see and others are best left unseen." This review should never have seen the light of day.

:laughing4: :laughing4: :laughing4:

Wise man your grandpa.

1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski