Author Topic: Poll: Coffee Bags or pouches?  (Read 628 times)

ecc

Poll: Coffee Bags or pouches?
« on: July 10, 2011, 08:52:39 PM »
So I got a bunch (and I do mean a bunch) of cool 8oz silver pouches a while ago, like this:

but I am almost out.  I was looking for some new ones, maybe white like this: (30 cents ea w/valve)

But what about these (23.5 cents ea w/valve)

They look to be made of the exact same material, and I have had zero issues with the valves in many, many bags so far.

Pro pouch:
likely pack more in boxes due to flexible shape
pretty tough
ziplock top doesn't need heat seal, tape, or twist tie. easy to keep closed and works well with the valve
available in matte white (I know, but I like to write all over them with colored markers)
much less common, they are kinda cool
work great in a freezer (not that I have ever tried that out  :angel: )

Pro bag:
cheaper, even with 2 cent ea re-useable tape closures, or 3.5 cent ea metal ties
pack nicer in square boxes
much more common, don't look like dried fruit bags.

I may have one or two left over to share, have been using 8oz, considering some 2oz and/or 16oz. Opinions?

Tex

Re: Poll: Coffee Bags or pouches?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2011, 08:58:37 PM »
I was helping a local roaster pack coffee, and he was using bags like these;

We were having to flip the bags to get a good seal using the ULINE impulse sealer. It made the job a PITA.

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2011, 09:25:59 PM »
The zip-bags should still be heat sealed IMO, and as you alluded to are more convenient for the customer once opened.

Will you go through that many that a nickel a bag will make a difference?
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 05:55:53 AM »
I like the bags because I feel the gives a better seal when reclosing the bag after it's been opened.

ecc

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 12:38:20 PM »
The zip-bags should still be heat sealed IMO, and as you alluded to are more convenient for the customer once opened.

Will you go through that many that a nickel a bag will make a difference?

If I was spending an extra nickel every time I used a bag, then no, not much pain.
Unfortunately, these guys want their money up front, which makes it a $50 difference.  Still, I could easily see it your way.

I like the bags because I feel the gives a better seal when reclosing the bag after it's been opened.

The ziplock feels pretty secure, I often squish remaining air out through the valve, and never have had the bag pop open.  If anything, the pouches feel a little too substantial, almost wasteful.  I assume the bags will feel equally heavy duty.