Author Topic: Wet Grinding  (Read 912 times)

yakster

Wet Grinding
« on: July 30, 2011, 01:49:29 PM »
David Walsh from Marco presented at Tamper Tantrum Live an experiment on wet grinding to minimize aroma loss, with hints that there may be a future product that would wet grind and brew.  You can see the presentation and a research paper at the following blog post.

http://brewtasterepeat.wordpress.com/2011/07/13/wet-grinding/

I gave this a try, with inconclusive results.  I definitely need some sort of water feed system, but it was interesting.  Unfortunately, I broke the outer ceramic burr of my Kyocera later that night by dropping it into the sink.  Luckily I have a spare at home.  I'm limping along in the meantime with the two pieces taped together and the grinds are more inconsistent, but I still have fresh coffee.

Here's my crude attempt.

Wet grinding coffee
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 01:52:17 PM by yakster »

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
Re: Wet Grinding
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2011, 07:50:02 PM »
That looks......um......messy.

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2011, 08:07:20 PM »
I'm not sure about this...

I really enjoy dry aroma.

Eliminating it just feels icky.
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2011, 03:44:40 AM »
Wet grinding, is that like when... you wake up.... really tired still... and pour your boiling water into your coffee grinder instead of into the brewer?

I can save you the trouble, it doesn't work very well, and the 'aroma' you smell may very well be electrical in nature.

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Offline 2ndcrack

• Standard User
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 11:53:20 AM »
I don't think this would pass the mess test in my house as I'm already catching grief for weighting, pre-wetting, stirring, etc when making coffee in the morning. Nothing gets me out of bed faster than when she announces that she's making coffee.

Tex

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2011, 12:10:45 PM »
Looks like a (wet) brain fart. Too messy & I just don't see an advantage? In fact, I'd be willing to bet that volatile compounds escape more with this technique than they do with dry grinding.

Jeffo

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2011, 01:32:22 PM »
Is this anything at all that carries over to the cup?

Tex

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2011, 01:48:57 PM »
Is this anything at all that carries over to the cup?

Wet grounds?