Author Topic: Gibraltar Tumblers  (Read 2946 times)

BoldJava

Gibraltar Tumblers
« on: August 04, 2011, 04:15:33 AM »
Haven't had any grief from Seattle in 4 days so I strolled over to Amazon this morning.  What did I see but a set of 6 Picardie tumblers, 3.25 oz, made in France.  Perfect for Gibraltars for Jeff's next visit (two birds with one stone).  Had a free shipping code so set 'em up.

B|Rock
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 03:21:07 PM by Joe »

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
Re: Gibraltar Tumblers
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 06:05:57 AM »
You using them as a cupping vessel?

BoldJava

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2011, 06:19:45 AM »
You using them as a cupping vessel?

Sipping the Cremina's crema, like in fine whiskey.  http://theshot.coffeeratings.com/2009/04/gibraltar-the-fools-cappuccino/

B|Trendy

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2011, 08:31:57 AM »
Haven't had any grief from Seattle in 4 days so I strolled over to Wm Sonoma this morning.  What did I see but a set of 6 Picardie tumblers, 3.25 oz, made in France.  Perfect for Gibraltars for Jeff's next visit (two birds with one stone).  Had a free shipping code so set 'em up.
B|Rock

B|Rockmeister,

Since you're getting a set of six, you can leave a couple over here, and we can double-team the Jeffster into submission.  We'll have him crying, "uncle" in no time.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

BoldJava

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011, 04:39:32 AM »
Zingo, my Picardie 3.1 oz tumblers (made in France) for Cremina Gibraltars are on Mr. Brown's truck.  Here in time for Friday! 
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 03:21:39 PM by Joe »

BoldJava

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2011, 10:12:40 AM »

B|Rockmeister,

Since you're getting a set of six, you can leave a couple over here, and we can double-team the Jeffster into submission.  We'll have him crying, "uncle" in no time.

How about that timing for Friday's cupping, 3.1 oz'ers or 90 ml if we would like to be Continental'ish.

B|Rock'ed
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 10:14:23 AM by BoldJava »

Tex

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2011, 11:36:03 AM »
Being slow to catch on (and not paying attention to this sub-thread), I didn't realize you were talking about my rocks glasses. I can see how these would be useful for caps & lattes, but I prefer single malt in mine with crushed ice. :D

I think mine are 5 oz?

BoldJava

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2011, 11:39:10 AM »
Being slow to catch on (and not paying attention to this sub-thread), I didn't realize you were talking about my rocks glasses. I can see how these would be useful for caps & lattes, but I prefer single malt in mine with crushed ice. :D

I think mine are 5 oz?

Scotch will never grace the lip of the cup or cupper.  Strictly dedicated to Gibraltars -- 1.5-2.0 oz 'presso and micro-foam to cap it.  3.1 oz. 

Tex

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2011, 11:47:21 AM »

I think mine are 5 oz?

Scotch will never grace the lip of the cup or cupper.  Strictly dedicated to Gibraltars -- 1.5-2.0 oz 'presso and micro-foam to cap it.  3.1 oz.

Mine are 4.5 oz Duratuff Gibraltars, made by Libbey. I've had them for years.

And I don't think hooch ever touches my lips either - I toss 'em back straight to the gullet!

BoldJava

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2011, 08:19:59 AM »
Two shops in the Twin Cities this weekend, Quixotic and Peace Coffee, "Can you make me a Gibraltar?"  You betcha.  Didn't even have to explain it.

BJava

Tex

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2011, 09:16:35 AM »

I think mine are 5 oz?

So a Gibraltar is another way to order a cafe con leche? Double espresso with an equal amount of steamed milk, right? As opposed to a cafe au laite, which is a 50/50 mixture of strong coffee and steamed milk.

It's got to make life difficult for a barista to have similar drinks with so many cute names?

BoldJava

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2011, 10:02:29 AM »
So a Gibraltar is another way to order a cafe con leche? Double espresso with an equal amount of steamed milk, right? As opposed to a cafe au laite, which is a 50/50 mixture of strong coffee and steamed milk...

It's got to make life difficult for a barista to have similar drinks with so many cute names?

A barista I am not.  Naming convention is difficult in easy industry.  Cafe au lait is with steamed milk.  I like the Gibraltar with tight micro-milk.

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2011, 10:50:12 AM »
Saw these at Kohls on Friday.  Who did it remind me of?  Hint: I kept it out of focus intentionally.   8)
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Tex

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2011, 10:52:02 AM »
So a Gibraltar is another way to order a cafe con leche? Double espresso with an equal amount of steamed milk, right? As opposed to a cafe au laite, which is a 50/50 mixture of strong coffee and steamed milk...

A barista I am not.  Naming convention is difficult in easy industry.  Cafe au lait is with steamed milk.  I like the Gibraltar with tight micro-milk.

I asked because an acquaintance was just at Blue Bottle last week and the Gibraltar they got was a double with an equal amount of steamed milk, and a thin layer of microfoam. So the Gibraltar is a bastardized mini-latte; espresso, steamed milk (less than a regular latte), and a splash of foam.

Cafe au laite isn't made with espresso & has no microfoam - just equal parts strong coffee & milk, and in NO it's made with chicory & coffee. Cafe con leche is equal parts espresso & steamed milk (no foam)

Tex

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2011, 11:03:00 AM »
Saw these at Kohls on Friday.  Who did it remind me of?  Hint: I kept it out of focus intentionally.   8)

I've had the 4.5 oz Gibraltars forever. They're tough to break & don't seem to etch as badly in the dishwasher as regular glasses; plus they're the perfect size for drinks.

I buy them at Spec's Liquor in Houston:
LIBBEY GIBRALTAR DURATUFF ROCKS 4.5oz $1.88 each