Author Topic: Gibraltar Tumblers  (Read 2947 times)

Offline expy98

• Standard User
Re: Gibraltar Tumblers
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2011, 11:14:07 AM »
Was at Red Berry in San Jose for 4 days straight (my fav cafe in SJ, great folks, great coffee and the best fresh waffles) and
had Gibraltars (about 4oz+ which is about the size of my capps at home, using 6oz cups).  Steve? the owner told me that
once upon a time some barista at Ritual was using them while training for competition and the name stuck.
After that spent a week in SF and had Gibraltars 3x at Ritual. 

Tex

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2011, 12:24:40 PM »
Was at Red Berry in San Jose for 4 days straight (my fav cafe in SJ, great folks, great coffee and the best fresh waffles) and
had Gibraltars (about 4oz+ which is about the size of my capps at home, using 6oz cups).  Steve? the owner told me that
once upon a time some barista at Ritual was using them while training for competition and the name stuck.
After that spent a week in SF and had Gibraltars 3x at Ritual. 

Love Red Berry.  My go-to coffee bar here in San Jose.  I just got back my Gen 2 Kone from the owner, Jeff Hampton, so some day soon I may be able to get my coffee Koned at Red Berry (he liked it).  I loaned it to him so he could try it out in production figuring I have a vested interest in seeing him succeed, I want them to stay open so I can get good coffee locally.  I'll have to give the waffles a try sometime, I'm usually in a bit of a rush in the mornings and they close before I can get off work.

I've heard the Gibraltar story a few times, but I like the version from Oliver Strand here.

I like that it's not on the menu - it's fun being part of an insiders story-line. Mrs T & I will be in the Bay Area Oct 9, to watch the Texans humble the Raiders and with any luck I'll talk her into visiting  Blue Bottle.

Offline expy98

• Standard User
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2011, 01:47:34 PM »
hehe, I have coffee and waffles every day at RB and my kids dig them too.  RB made me go and buy a
waffle maker but in 2 yrs, can't get my kids to eat them.  I think I need the heavy cast iron maker
not the lighter/cheaper home version (blame it on the hw first).

RB is also the only cafe I've been to that has 4 grinders dedicated to espresso, one for decaf.  The 4 days I was
there, I had shots from Handsome, Stumptown, Intelly, Ritual and another from a Sacramento roaster. 

I didn't go to Blue Bottle this year but did go to the other big cafes.  Suffice it to say I went back to Ritual 3x
for the rest of the week.  I can make as good lemonseed sink shots at home...

Tex, better bring your kevlar vest to that game...

I remember looking at the bottom of the gibraltars but memory being what it is, I don't remember the name.
But it had very round bowl and looks a lot like this Libbey:

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/libbey-15248-gibraltar-4-5-oz-rocks-glass-36-cs/55115248.html
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 01:58:19 PM by expy98 »

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2011, 06:50:46 PM »
had Gibraltars (about 4oz+ which is about the size of my capps at home, using 6oz cups). 

Mine has got to be 3.5oz totally maxed out. And half ounces once you are at the 4oz mark going down mean a lot.

Very interesting sized drink. I'm using half and half with this one building a super luxury little drink.
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

BoldJava

« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2011, 06:58:54 PM »
had Gibraltars (about 4oz+ which is about the size of my capps at home, using 6oz cups). 

Mine has got to be 3.5oz totally maxed out. And half ounces once you are at the 4oz mark going down mean a lot...

3.25 oz (http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=picardie+3.25).  Your pictured drink is the size/presentation that Jeff went (man) Ga-Ga over, even knowing the country of origin on the glasses.

It has become my favorite drink.

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2011, 07:20:30 PM »

I see why.

I bet if Charles Bronson was going to drink espresso and milk he would drink the Gibraltar.

They would have to make his glass in Pittsburgh out of SS obviously but then he would drink it.
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Tex

« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2011, 09:52:01 AM »

I see why.

I bet if Charles Bronson was going to drink espresso and milk he would drink the Gibraltar.

They would have to make his glass in Pittsburgh out of SS obviously but then he would drink it.

Nah, he'd start out with the tall tumbler and break it off until the size suited him.

BoldJava

« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2011, 08:09:06 AM »
Can't rest on yesterday's catch.  Stopped at a thrift store looking for an unused Cremina for $7.89.  Didn't find one but found a pair of these retro 2.5 ounce macchiato cups for $.98 for the pair.

The handle is a soft, curving swirl. Life comes with a bow on it.

B|1960s
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 08:10:37 AM by BoldJava »

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2011, 08:54:17 AM »
I've seen those cups new online somewhere, in case you want to buy me some.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

BoldJava

« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2011, 12:08:32 PM »
I've seen those cups new online somewhere, in case you want to buy me some.

Naw, most of my cups are from thrift stores, but I'd bid on them to help out the Coffee Kids.

Chris, Mooch-a-matic is trying to get me to buy some for him. 

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2011, 02:37:39 PM »
Pardon me, my mistake; I was actually wanting to say if you like them a lot, there are more to be found online.

BoldJava

« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2011, 03:08:25 PM »
Pardon me, my mistake; I was actually wanting to say if you like them a lot, there are more to be found online.

Thanks, I will send you my birth date offline for appropriate recognition.

B|Java

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2011, 04:42:23 PM »

Thanks, I will send you my birth date offline for appropriate recognition.

B|Java

B|Benny is 39 again!

BoldJava

« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2011, 05:04:52 PM »
Someone used Jack Benny's name in a discussion at work about two weeks ago. 1/2 didn't know who was being discussed.