Author Topic: Mahlkonig Guatemala grinders at Borders books  (Read 2007 times)

EricBNC

Re: Mahlkonig Guatemala grinders at Borders books
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2011, 05:24:39 AM »
I hate to go off topic in a thread about large things that make small things smaller but....

(HT warning!!!! *Just like the Govt and my bank account!*)

And now back on topic about going off topic - I notice on ecc's photo of the large Guatemala's presets that setting 4 is espresso and 5 is Melitta filter cone - I grind for filter cone a good bit larger than I do for espresso - am I doing it wrong? ???

BoldJava

« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2011, 05:44:53 AM »
... I notice on ecc's photo of the large Guatemala's presets that setting 4 is espresso and 5 is Melitta filter cone - I grind for filter cone a good bit larger than I do for espresso - am I doing it wrong? ???

Nothing.  Ignore their suggestion unless you like overextracted pourover filtered coffee through a Melitta cone.

ecc

« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2011, 09:51:04 AM »
+1

I am currently using setting 10 for my Kone, could probably go a little coarser.

I don't think I will be using this grinder for the finer grinds, it is a little too much like feeding a small branch into a wood chipper.   The finer particles tend to take to the air...
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 09:55:08 AM by ecc »

ecc

« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2011, 11:05:57 AM »
After using the mk for a few weeks, I finally got the time to pull it apart for a decent cleaning.  It was surprisingly fairly clean, the burrs are in pretty good shape, the grind produces clear as glass flavors.  If you haven't noticed, I have decided I love this grinder. 

Two very accessible screws on the front and the burr is out.  The plastic hopper isn't really necessary for my very non-commercial use, so I saved a little time on reassembly.

Before, during, and after:

« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 11:08:42 AM by ecc »

BoldJava

« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2011, 12:59:50 PM »
After using the mk for a few weeks, I finally got the time to pull it apart for a decent cleaning.  It was surprisingly fairly clean, the burrs are in pretty good shape, the grind produces clear as glass flavors.  If you haven't noticed, I have decided I love this grinder. 

Two very accessible screws on the front and the burr is out.  The plastic hopper isn't really necessary for my very non-commercial use, so I saved a little time on reassembly...

The Dittings are beginning to show up on eBay.  Early sales were at the 'buy it now' at $1200.  Now, auctions are starting with $700 min threshold.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 06:57:23 AM by BoldJava »

cfsheridan

« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2011, 06:27:26 AM »
Congrats on your grab, ecc.  I've had a Guatemala for about 2 years now for cupping and for larger quantity grinding.  It's an excellent grinder--easy to maintain.  The Mahlkonig folks here in the US are more than willing to help if you have any maintenance questions.