Author Topic: To Go Cups  (Read 2070 times)

BoldJava

Re: To Go Cups
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2011, 09:43:30 AM »
I have two plastic cups if someone would like them?

B|Java

moglman

« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2011, 09:46:02 AM »
Highwave JOEmo thermos' are excellent for travel.

EricBNC

« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2011, 10:36:49 AM »
A few of my favorite things: The tall double wall cup with the black lid is a Goodwill find - that and a Carolina blue version were purchased together.  The Mug Hug is a one size fits all device the Mug Hug people sent me to try out.  The white one is a double wall porcelain "Not a Paper Cup" cup, and behind these is my new Hario V60. Not shown is a black on black double wall porcelain version of the "Not a Paper Cup" cup - it hides stains well so I use it the most.

Double wall or bust for me...

The Hario V60:

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2011, 10:43:37 AM »
Do you notice any changes in your coffee after it's been sitting in the thermos?

I had a Chemexed coffee that I threw in a thermos for a road trip down South (not wanting to suffer random roadside coffee) and it seemed that after some hours in the thermos the coffee had more stone fruit notes then when it started.  It was a siphon or chemex/kone so there were fines in with the coffee, but it didn't result in unpleasant bitterness.

I know I've heard others talk about this before, so I was wondering if you had any opinion.

it depends on the coffee.. I have experienced the same thing as you.. some flavors seem to come out stronger after a little rest in the thermos.. sometimes its a good thing and some times its a not so good thing..   I have also used my thermos/thermax brand thermos to take hot water for brewing coffee and making soup on construction jobs.. the coffee was ground at breakfast time and stored in the cooler in a ziplock.. that works out ok but more cleanup and fussing...

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2011, 12:34:42 PM »
Do you notice any changes in your coffee after it's been sitting in the thermos?

I had a Chemexed coffee that I threw in a thermos for a road trip down South (not wanting to suffer random roadside coffee) and it seemed that after some hours in the thermos the coffee had more stone fruit notes then when it started.  It was a siphon or chemex/kone so there were fines in with the coffee, but it didn't result in unpleasant bitterness.

I know I've heard others talk about this before, so I was wondering if you had any opinion.

it depends on the coffee.. I have experienced the same thing as you.. some flavors seem to come out stronger after a little rest in the thermos.. sometimes its a good thing and some times its a not so good thing..   I have also used my thermos/thermax brand thermos to take hot water for brewing coffee and making soup on construction jobs.. the coffee was ground at breakfast time and stored in the cooler in a ziplock.. that works out ok but more cleanup and fussing...

There is no way to keep coffee for any long period of time, even at the right temps, w/o it changing in flavor.  That's what I read anyway.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2011, 01:26:07 PM »
Ive used the Nissan ones for a bit then quit,  stainless, but plastic inside.      The first one I got lasted a long time I really loved it, it would keep the coffee HOT pretty much the entire day.  THen it let the vaccuum out and didn't work.  I got another a few others two years later.   They didn't do nearly as well as that original one did and actually only lasted a few months, I was very disappointed.  I got ONE more just to make sure I just didn't get a lemon batch.   Same thing, it didn't do nearly as good a job as keeping the coffee hot.  Then I heard liquid sloshing around in it between the outer and inner 'cups'.  Ok so now it has a leak.  Put it into my SS recycle batch and never used a nissan again.   For 20 bucks for a @#$ing coffee cup you'd think it would last longer than that.... sigh...

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2011, 05:00:27 PM »
I have two plastic cups if someone would like them?

B|Java

HAhahahahahaha!!!

That is seriously funny.  ;D ;D
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

BoldJava

« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2011, 05:27:26 PM »
HAhahahahahaha!!!

That is seriously funny.  ;D ;D

I got the back of the hand <hyperbole> for my "gifting" of a new cup to the Czarina.  "I don't like the top, the double lining didn't keep it warm, it's like drinking from a recycled lawn chair..."  I mean, that's the thanks I get.  I thought they looked good. All the while, I was trying to hide her preferred to-go cup behind me as I walked in the back door.

I bought two ceramics with silicone lids from Coava this evening.  Want to support those gents.

Plastic hurts, just as I have ALWAYS maintained.  Case closed.

B|NoPlaz
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 05:31:35 PM by BoldJava »

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2011, 08:50:27 PM »
Nice to see you come to your senses; it's good to have the real B|Java back.  That was a scary couple days there.

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2011, 09:11:56 PM »
http://tinyurl.com/5ugbvbv

Bed Bath Beyond     cheap   ceramic