Author Topic: Thanks UPS you filthy #$##$  (Read 2935 times)

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
Thanks UPS you filthy #$##$
« on: November 28, 2011, 04:15:54 PM »
Well I finally got my espresso machine I been waiting for and it looks like UPS molested it on me.    Tex did a fine job of packaging it but I bet the bastards dropped it.  You really can't protect too much against the sudden stop of inertia.

The first shot is the PID which is knocked out of it's holder.  Should not be a big deal to fix.

Next is the top which looks like something was dropped on it, should be able to be bent back into shape

worse is the knob for the steam valve,  it's entirely off center in the hole and I can't get the plastic part on.   If they dropped the machine, it could have had enough force when it hit to shift everything over like that.

Any ideas  on the knob thing?   Is that something I can take the top off and possibly brute force it back into place w/o damaging stuff?

Aaron
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 05:22:07 PM by Ascholten »
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

RobertL

Re: Thanks UPS
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2011, 04:28:46 PM »
Did you purchase shipping insurance? If so I would file a claim you should not have to except that kind of damage from shipping.

Tex

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 04:39:40 PM »
I sold it to Aaron and it didn't look like that when I dropped it at the UPS Store. I did insure it for the sale price. I'm not shipping anything else via UPS - they abuse every package I send, and I pack the shit out of these things.

milowebailey

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 04:43:00 PM »
I sold it to Aaron and it didn't look like that when I dropped it at the UPS Store. I did insure it for the sale price. I'm not shipping anything else via UPS - they abuse every package I send, and I pack the shit out of these things.
Ahhh, so you dropped ... at least your honest. :)

RobertL

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 04:44:31 PM »

I agree UPS sucks I usually use USPS or FedEx.

Tex

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2011, 04:52:57 PM »
Look under the group, where the portafilter mounts. There are four
allen
bolts that can be loosened and the boiler rotated so the knob can be inserted.

Remove the 2 screws on top of the front of the enclosure and the 2 screws on the bottom of the back of the enclosure. This will give you access to the locking collar for the PID. Unless they've completely destroyed the enclosure or PID you'll be able to push the collar and tighten the PID.

I have an extra metal plate for the top of the Classic. Remove the 4 screws holding the cover in place. If all they did was bend the metal you should be able to remove the 2 screws and replace the metal plate.

It'll be a lot easier if we don't have to file a damage claim - unless you took pictures before you started unpacking it, and took pictures of the interior packaging so we can prove it was well packed. But if you're like me and ripped into the packaging before finding the damage we'll get nothing but grief from UPS.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2011, 04:58:43 PM by Tex »

Tex

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2011, 04:55:02 PM »

I agree UPS sucks I usually use USPS or FedEx.

And I have a FedEx account. It's just that the UPS Store is easier to get to for drop-offs. I really miss DHL Ground - they treated packages better than anyone else!

Offline ScareYourPassenger

• Standard User
  • lever lover
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2011, 04:59:59 PM »
Just went through a claim process with ups on an espresso machine. 5-6 inches of foam on all sides and they killed it! Denied the claim saying it didn't meet the ups standards.

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2011, 05:21:34 PM »
unfortunately I kind of tore into the packing.  The box I opened up cleanly but well you have to get the stuff out to see if it was damaged or not.

Ill take a look at it tomorrow, we should be able to get it fixed w/o a claim I hope.

The box, it has like a 4 inch square of cardboard taped to the side of it, like it is covering a hole up, is that something you did or possibly they did it?
The box really doesn't look screwed up except for that one piece of cardboard, which if it is something they did it looks like they dropped a very heavy object which punched through the box or the thing might have fallen off a pallet and landed on the dock and punched a hole in it or something..   hard to say.
Aaron

As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Tex

Re: Thanks UPS you filthy #$##$
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2011, 06:33:15 PM »
That's me reusing a box. I didn't want a bunch of dust in  there so I patched over a hole.

I'm thinking of getting some of these to spot bad handling: http://www.uline.com/BL_1069/Dropspot
or : http://www.uline.com/BL_1051/Drop-N-Tell

It'll just add to the cost of machines; but UPS is forcing me to it.

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2011, 06:41:42 PM »
There was a time when people took pride in their jobs.

:-\
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Offline grinderz

• Standard User
  • No unjacked threads!
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2011, 06:49:00 PM »
That bites, Aaron.

I'm surprised that UPS doesn't break more stuff having seen how fast those guys have to sling boxes when loading and unloading those semi's in order to meet their deadlines. When things get busy, UPS works those guys like red-headed step children.
var elvisLives = Math.PI > 4 ? "Yep" : "Nope";

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2011, 06:50:51 PM »
When things get busy, UPS works those guys like red-headed step children.

Bad business model.  It may work for the short term but when people get wise to them they will lose customers in droves.

???
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Offline Warrior372

• Standard User
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2011, 06:52:32 PM »
That does stink! I personally hate UPS and ship all things that are important to me via Fed Ex. I think a lot of it has to do with the driver on your route. I have received smashed things from both companies with the only changing variable being where I lived at the time. The UPS delivery person where I currently live smashes stuff!

1981er

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2011, 07:52:34 PM »
I was chatting with a friend who used to work at UPS.  He said when people would get rushed or the really lazy folks were working, they would collapse piles of boxes in order to move them on to the conveyor belts, smashing a good amount of packages in the process.