Author Topic: Espro Press, 8-Cupper  (Read 5353 times)

BoldJava

Re: Espro Press, 8-Cupper
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2012, 05:40:29 AM »
Yeah, I did that the day after the kickstart closed. Made up my mind too late:(

News must travel slowly to Atlanta <grins>.

JW

« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2012, 06:54:10 PM »
If you missed the kickstarter project pre-offering, you can pre-order one for $10 more through Venia ...99.95-5%disc + free shipping...Looks like the first or 2nd week of april.

http://www.veniacoffee.com/shop/coffee-espresso-equipment/coffee-makers/french-presses/large-espro-press-insulated-mirco-filter-french-press-30-ounce.html

Offline ScareYourPassenger

• Standard User
  • lever lover
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2012, 04:16:32 AM »
If you missed the kickstarter project pre-offering, you can pre-order one for $10 more through Venia ...99.95-5%disc + free shipping...Looks like the first or 2nd week of april.

http://www.veniacoffee.com/shop/coffee-espresso-equipment/coffee-makers/french-presses/large-espro-press-insulated-mirco-filter-french-press-30-ounce.html

Espro doesn't get the discount:(

W_Hornet

« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2012, 11:13:03 AM »

New to the forums here, excited to get to know each other.  Just checked out the pre-order from Venia as I missed the Kickstarter project too, and it looks like Espro is excluded from the 5% off sale (under the Sales and Promo's linky http://www.veniacoffee.com/shop/sales.html)

I am likely going to jump on this though, as i love-love-love my single serve sized press.  The cat knocked it off the top of the fridge yesterday and aside from a small dent on the bottom it is fine.  My larger bodum would have been shattered.   

Also,  I bought some green ethiopia yirga cheffe from them a few weeks back and it is stunning!   Looking forward to what I can find here too.

BoldJava

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2012, 06:02:34 AM »

BoldJava

« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2012, 10:16:11 AM »
My 30-oz Espro arrived while I was in Portland.  Saints alive!

I will do some photo'ing while roasting and Cremina II testing today.  Get the pics up shortly.  I will use it as our go-to daily coffee for a week and then give a 1st impression.  Reminds me -- need to check back with Espro on a matter.

BoldJava

« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2012, 10:55:25 AM »
Some shots of the new 30 oz Espro.

Good packaging.

BoldJava

« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2012, 10:57:48 AM »
Concept - micro filtering

BoldJava

« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2012, 10:58:18 AM »
Improved filtering, two of them within the process of pressing.

BoldJava

« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2012, 10:59:30 AM »
Clean welds on a double wall, vacuum approach to heat retention.  18/10 stainless.

Lower mark signifies 3/4ths of pot; higher line is for full pot, 30 oz.

BoldJava

« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2012, 11:02:06 AM »
Size - in comparison to a pint beer glass (Fat Squirrel), daughter's fav    http://www.newglarusbrewing.com/index.cfm/beers/ourbeers/beer/fat-squirrel
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 11:08:38 AM by BoldJava »

BoldJava

« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2012, 11:06:37 AM »
Pot one gave us 30 ounces of finished coffee, immediately poured into Zoju glass thermos pot.  Cleaner, richer tastes - taste less obscuring than with standard Bodum press pot.  I will use the pot all week and do a mini comparison at conclusion of week.

Quick observations:
1.  Excellent cup
2.  Less coffee by volume retained than in small Espro - new filtering design accountable <?>
3.  Much less residue than in press pot - about a 1/2 dimes' worth in bottom of thermos pot (pictured).  Dusting of super fines at bottom of 12 oz cup, much finer and less volume than standard press pot.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 11:12:40 AM by BoldJava »

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2012, 11:13:26 AM »
I've been enjoying mine a lot.  The extra hassle of disassembling the two filters and cleaning both is minimal.  The sludge at the end of the cup is a fraction of my swiss gold filter press pot, so the cup is cleaner in taste.  But that's not what drew my attention, since sludge in the cup/cleaner taste never kept me from using the press pot as my daily brewer. 

What I really like is the double-wall vessel.  Last week I brewed a full pot, had a cup while walking the dog and then had the second cup with my morning reading.  The second cup was almost identical to the first, with very little over-extraction (which is due to the micro-filtering) and very little loss of heat.  I've measured the temp loss of a standard press pot, and even fashioned a cozy out of some insulation.  Apart from the expected sludge in the bottom of the cup, my main gripe with a press pot is its inability to keep the brew in a good temp range during the steeping.

The only drawback, a minor one, is that the double filters retain a bit too much coffee; you think you've poured it all out, and there's a couple ounces remaining.  I wrote to Espro about this and they suggest rocking the pot back and forth and then pouring again.  B|Java suggests pulling the plunger up and then seating it again.  Both methods retain more coffee than I'd like, but it's not a deal-breaker by any means.

Brewing a full pot with fresh home-roast, the bloom comes nearly to the top, so that I've been steeping with a plate over the opening to hold in the heat.

Nice photos B|Oien.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2012, 11:15:47 AM by peter »
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

JW

« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2012, 12:06:07 PM »
The only drawback, a minor one, is that the double filters retain a bit too much coffee; you think you've poured it all out, and there's a couple ounces remaining.

Peter or  B|Java,
Even with the few ounce loss, do you think you are getting close to 30oz finished volume?

JW

BoldJava

« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2012, 12:47:47 PM »
The only drawback, a minor one, is that the double filters retain a bit too much coffee; you think you've poured it all out, and there's a couple ounces remaining.

Peter or  B|Java,
Even with the few ounce loss, do you think you are getting close to 30oz finished volume?

JW

I measured it -- just a hair under 30 oz.  Lots more water going in.  B|Java