Author Topic: Espro Press, 8-Cupper  (Read 5351 times)

BoldJava

Re: Espro Press, 8-Cupper
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2012, 08:14:47 AM »
1st look. 

Been using the Espro Liter for the last two weeks.  Thought I would share impressions.  Great eye candy.  Hefty in the hand.  French press grind.  64 grams to upper fill line.  Finishes with about 30 oz coffee.  There is a 3/4 fill line that finishes about 23 oz coffee.
   * Preheat the pot with hot tap water.  (There is a double-wall, stainless with an Espro).
   * Boil water. 45 seconds off boil.  (Outside of pot remains cool).
   * Cover 64 g of press pot grind.  Let bloom for 20 seconds.  Recommence pour, filling to the upper line.

Plunge at 3:45.  Smooth, even pressure.  Tight fit doesn't permit grinds to pass.  Double filter apparatus.
Filtering system is superior to the generic and Bodum presspots because of 3 items:
1.  Plunger has a very tight outer edge/lip that is in contact with outer wall.  Bodum or knockoffs use a coarser grade screen on the outer edge.
2.  Very fine mesh on baskets (two levels).  Bodums' amd knockoffs' mesh is coarser by far than the Espro Press.
3.  A Bodum has no secondary filtering.

Cup?  Call it a clean, crisp French press cup. Heavy body.  Rich with oils, flavors but without particulates that occlude/detract with a French press.  Coffee finishes too hot to drink. Let it cool.

Very minimal silt; much less than any press pot I have used.
Cleanup.  Piece of cake.  Unscrew the plunger wand.  The basket filter separates from the top portion at an "o" ring.  Unsnap the parts, use your fingers, paper towel, or dish cloth to rub the oil and silt off the filters under very hot water.  Grounds?  Add more water, make a slurry, and share the wealth with the garden.  Reassemble.  30 seconds.  Done.

Impressions?
1.  Excellent clean heavy cup.  Would appeal to press pot fans.
2.  I cupped this with several coffees.  All cups were excellent, with similar results comparing pourovers and Espro from them.  Rich oils but cleaner than standard press pots.
3.  Great eye-candy.

My thoughts?

While pricey (MSRP will be $100), this will be the pot that is used with company.  30 ounces of fine coffee, placed on the table, and served with pride.  A keeper.

http://www.espro.ca/espro-press/
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 08:17:22 AM by BoldJava »

jbviau

« Reply #31 on: May 20, 2012, 10:25:06 AM »
^^^ Thanks for that. IIRC another member here preferred the Espro over the Eva Solo in terms of cup quality. What's your take?

Offline ScareYourPassenger

• Standard User
  • lever lover
« Reply #32 on: May 20, 2012, 03:21:23 PM »
I preordered my 8 cupper. I liked it better than the solo. It tasted cleaner due to less fines getting through and it cut down on over extraction by the pressing of the grounds to the bottom. The biggest flaw with most fresh presses for me are the fines and heat retention.

BoldJava

« Reply #33 on: May 20, 2012, 05:00:34 PM »
^^^ Thanks for that. IIRC another member here preferred the Espro over the Eva Solo in terms of cup quality. What's your take?

The Espro is a cleaner, yet full cup.  Espro made French press obsolete.

jbviau

« Reply #34 on: May 22, 2012, 01:53:21 PM »
Thanks to you all for posting your impressions.

I preordered my 8 cupper. I liked it better than the solo. It tasted cleaner due to less fines getting through and it cut down on over extraction by the pressing of the grounds to the bottom. The biggest flaw with most fresh presses for me are the fines and heat retention.

With the Espro do you think could I get away with not decanting over, say, breakfast?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 02:35:33 PM by jbviau »

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #35 on: May 22, 2012, 02:15:00 PM »
Thanks to you both for posting your impressions.

I have poured the first cup, and then waited maybe a half an hour to pour the second, with little to no discernible difference in flavor.
With the Espro do you think could I get away with not decanting over, say, breakfast?
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

jbviau

« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2012, 02:35:11 PM »
Thanks again. Oops, I see I'd missed something to that effect on p. 2. Sounds good.

Offline ScareYourPassenger

• Standard User
  • lever lover
« Reply #37 on: June 06, 2012, 06:33:51 AM »
So far I am loving this press but one small annoyance is the lid which will clang around and is loose around the rod. I am thinking about adding an oring to it to keep it from dropping to the bottom and hitting metal on metal.

EricBNC

« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2012, 05:33:06 AM »
One of these showed up in the wild over on Coffee Geek and I purchased it - drinking a pot right now. I played with the smaller Espro a while back at Counter Culture and came away less than impressed with the feel of the unit vs. price.  This eight cupper is not something I would want to be hit in the head with - the device seems substantially well built.

The double wall construction does keep the coffee hot till the last cup too. One pot in and it is much more hit than miss. Very tasty cup.

The last sip from the last cup has a small amount of fines - I left my Preciso setting the same as my choice for pour over grind - the new Kone III will have it's work cut out for it to beat this one.

Offline Richdel

• Standard User
« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2012, 05:10:10 AM »
Just ordered the Espro 8-cupper, and it should be here for the weekend.
64grams of coffee, 30 ounces of water, 30 second bloom, and plunge at 3:45.
Got it!  Will be using a blend of 4 day old Brazil Raininha and Panama Elida.

Review to come in the next few days!

smico

« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2012, 08:53:03 AM »
I convinced friend of mine to buy Espro 8 cupper, and Baratza Encore as pimary coffee setup.
I am glad to see good reviews here.

Ray T

« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2012, 12:41:39 PM »
 My wife loves her small one so I ordered HER;) ) the large one

Offline Richdel

• Standard User
« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2012, 04:38:56 PM »
Just ordered the Espro 8-cupper, and it should be here for the weekend.
64grams of coffee, 30 ounces of water, 30 second bloom, and plunge at 3:45.
Got it!  Will be using a blend of 4 day old Brazil Raininha and Panama Elida.

Review to come in the next few days!

Espro arrived today at 11:30am, and was back at the PO to be returned by 1pm.

The bottom of the container had a very slight dent that looked as though the container had been dropped on an edge.  It was on both sides of the container, and it was easy to see that an edge had caused both dents.

Almost unnoticeable, but at $100, it should be free of cosmetic damage.
Bought it at Amazon for $100 and Free Shipping. 

Any suggestions on where to purchase a replacement?

BoldJava

« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2012, 04:54:41 PM »
Chris's Coffee -- free shipping --- always stellar service.

B|Java

Offline Richdel

• Standard User
« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2012, 03:20:26 PM »
New Espro 8-cupper arrived today.  The first one was sent back due to cosmetic
damage.  This one was pristine, no damage at all.  Looks like tomorrow morning I will be taking the Espro on its maiden voyage.  A 50-50 bleand of Panama Elida and Brazil Fazenda Raininha.  Can't wait.  Review to follow...