Author Topic: Espro Press, 8-Cupper  (Read 5354 times)

Offline Richdel

• Standard User
Re: Espro Press, 8-Cupper
« Reply #45 on: August 22, 2012, 02:44:50 PM »
Gave the Espro a test drive this morning.  Preheated the stainless steel pitcher with about 2 cups of boiling water.  Used a 50/50 blend of Brazil Fazenda Raininha and Panama Elida, total of 36gr.  8ounces of water, waited for 45 seconds, then the remaining water so the bloom was halfway between the 3/4 and 8cup line.  Total immersion time of 4 minutes, then plunge.

Cup tasted almost identical to the Aeropress.  Full body with loads of sweetness.  Even the Mrs. commented about how good the cup was this morning.  There was a half of a mug leftover.  I waited an hour to use the leftover brew and the temperature was between hot and warm. Good insulation.  No grounds to speak of, Mrs. Richdel would have certainly pointed it out to me if there had been grounds.  Cleanup is not as "easy" as the AP.   The Espro is a magnet for fingerprints.  But for the forseeable future, this is the vehicle for our morning coffee ritual, until Gort?

It's a keeper!

Offline Richdel

• Standard User
Re: Espro Press, 8-Cupper
« Reply #46 on: February 17, 2013, 07:30:53 AM »
Went back to the Espro 8cupper this morning after several months of nothing but the Chemex 10 cup with original Kone and the Aeropress with Coava 008 metal filter.
The coffee this morning was over the top great. Recent morning brew were still good, but the "wow" factor had gone.  This morning's recipe for success was 48 grams of
coffee with water to the first line from the bottom of the Espro.  The 48 grams of coffee, exactly 42 hours from roasting  was comprised of 15 grams 2012 Ethiopian Wote Konga,
15 grams 2011 Panama Elida, and 18 grams of 2011 Brazilian Candado Natural pulped.  Wow,  can't stop thinking about what a great cup this was.  Sweet, nondescript fruitiness,
full-bodied.

The best part was when I sat down after cooking everyone breakfast, and my first cup was a distant memory,   there was a still hot cup of this divine brew waiting for me. 
No need to make a fresh hot cup (AP), or drink a less then lukewarm cup of leftover brew from the Chemex.

Now to the bad part of the Espro, the cleanup.  Not worst cleanup ever, just epic when compared to the Aeropress or Chemex/Kone.  But to get this type of result, well worth every
extra minute spent in cleanup.  ;D