Author Topic: Precisio Burrs Now in Virtuoso  (Read 1993 times)

EricBNC

Re: Precisio Burrs Now in Virtuoso
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2011, 06:27:02 AM »
Both Virtuoso models (and the Preciso) have a timer dial - if I am going for pour over/drip I twist the dial past where I know it will take for the grinding to finish and I go about setting the filter, cups, sealing the beans, or resetting the scale to fill my time with productivity - the new burrs will save maybe 10 - 12 seconds (that can be used productively as I noted) so someone needs to be sure that amount of time is material before spending more money over a deal on the older model. 

jbviau

« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2011, 08:07:17 AM »
Personally, I noticed a definite step up in the press grind when upgrading from the old Virtuoso (585) to the Preciso. Have to admit I'm tempted to pick up a new Virtuoso (586) as a second/back-up grinder now that the Preciso burrs have been added.

Offline ScareYourPassenger

• Standard User
  • lever lover
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2011, 04:19:07 PM »
Makes sense if you look at the grind distribution graphs I posted.

BoldJava

« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2011, 04:20:58 PM »
Makes sense if you look at the grind distribution graphs I posted.

Oh, I had, when they were posted and again today.  I will let one of you statisticians explain them to me.  I can even figure out what is being measured on each axis.

B|Java

EricBNC

« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2011, 04:37:12 PM »
From Orphan Espresso's review Josh provided a link to earlier in this thread:

"  The shots seemed very bright as compared with our VARIO using the same beans and machine.....we do not have enough experience to fully analyze the taste of the shot and this is highly subjective anyway, so we will leave this one alone.    The VARIO was an extremely good learning tool for us during a phase of our espresso journey when we were putting together a lot of parameters that lead to a good and consistent shot.    Much of our experience with the VARIO was applied directly to the VP and at this point we could easily substitute the VP for the VARIO as our main grinder.    The MICRO settings do give one the feeling of having a very good range of control of the grind and once set up for a particular bean we found no wandering or variance of the grind."

This was written about the Preciso before the burr change - take it for what it is worth since they were selling these when this info was written...

Offline ScareYourPassenger

• Standard User
  • lever lover
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2011, 09:32:46 AM »
Yup, the adjustment seems like a must for espresso but I really need a good grinder for drip to replace the large bunn LPG. I just don't have time to make a new smaller case for it.