Author Topic: Larger Hottop on the Horizon?  (Read 2127 times)

BoldJava

Larger Hottop on the Horizon?
« on: December 20, 2011, 04:14:27 AM »
http://www.home-barista.com/home-roasting/new-larger-hottop-coming-t19880.html#p232918

Discussion about the prototype on the bench in the Hottop labs, 600-800 grams.  Better be a REEally big cooling fan.  Was saving for a Quest/San Franciscan 1 lb.  Now?  A Hottop? 
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 04:23:52 AM by BoldJava »

EricBNC

Re: Larger Hottop on the Horizon?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2011, 04:55:59 AM »
And when you guys sell that smaller Hottop so you can live the larger dream I will be upgrading too - let the cycle uf uprgraditis begin...

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2011, 05:28:22 AM »
And.......here it is.

I figured a reason to save up for a new toy would present itself soon.

$1.500 for an over 600g Hottop. I'm in! 
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2011, 05:30:44 AM »
Hopefully they will make it 900 grams ... a 2 pound roaster for $1500 ... look out Sono.

;D
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

milowebailey

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2011, 05:45:30 AM »
I don't know how they'll heat it.  IMO the hottop is a wee bit under powered heat wise (~14  minutes to 1st crack with 200 grams).    The 1/2 lb only has a 750 watt heating element, but at least doubling that would require a 20 amp circuit.   I still haven't seen an electric roaster that would roast a pound

Save for the San Fransiscan.... gas....

GC7

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2011, 06:05:51 AM »
This is a great upgrade for home enthusiasts that has been in the works for a long time as JohnB mentioned.

The best things about HotTop IMO is their fine personal customer service from Michael and the simple user maintenance and serviceability. It is easy to literally take the unit apart to clean and replace parts as needed.

The downsides are chaff getting into every nook and corner of the machine, airflow and smoke leaks and as mentioned a bit underpowered.  I generally use 170-175 gm loads to get optimal profiles (1C starting anywhere from 9-10 minutes at my discretion). Finally, I had to customize with bean temperature probe. The built in temperature probel is almost useless. This new unit seems to address the issues and hopefully the chaff and smoke issues too.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 06:08:07 AM by GC7 »

milowebailey

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2011, 08:50:47 AM »
it popped up on an Australian commercial coffee site

I would think this would be a 220v machine, which means twice the power.  It could  be done with 220v.

You could easily have 3000 watt heating element at 220 v.... but I don't see how they'll do it for the US market.

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2011, 09:04:28 AM »
it popped up on an Australian commercial coffee site

I would think this would be a 220v machine, which means twice the power.  It could  be done with 220v.

You could easily have 3000 watt heating element at 220 v.... but I don't see how they'll do it for the US market.

We need more power!
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 09:06:40 AM by John F »
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

EricBNC

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2011, 09:13:56 AM »
I thought we have 220 in houses now - a dryer and a stove are 220v right?  What we need is a big honkin extension cord that plugs into the wall, then the stove or dryer plugs onto it and an extra outlet sits at the end of the extension section (10 foot? 5 foot?) in a covered box that requires a key to open for safety, for the children...

Now hurry up and upgrade already!

Offline ScareYourPassenger

• Standard User
  • lever lover
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2011, 09:19:51 AM »
I would love to have another excuse o install a 220v outlet in the garage! Tig welder here I come!

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2011, 09:31:24 AM »
I thought we have 220 in houses now - a dryer and a stove are 220v right?  What we need is a big honkin extension cord that plugs into the wall, then the stove or dryer plugs onto it and an extra outlet sits at the end of the extension section (10 foot? 5 foot?) in a covered box that requires a key to open for safety, for the children...

Now hurry up and upgrade already!

This should work.

Just have a plug on the outside of the existing dryer plug and don't run them both at the same time is all....

Done!

Lee Morrison

milowebailey

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2011, 09:49:39 AM »
You don't need a drier plug.

My 2 group espresso machine uses 15A 220 circuit.... 12 guage wire, and this plug.  But most homes do not have a 220 outlet, and most homeowners should never try to install one themselves...

Offline grinderz

• Standard User
  • No unjacked threads!
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2011, 09:57:44 AM »
It just doesn't seem feasible to me. Too much liability and not enough 220v availability in homes to make their market segment big enough. They could do something crazy like have twin 110v power cords which are required to be on separate circuits and so some kind of load test before each roast to make sure the power is sufficient, but could they get UL certification for something like that?
var elvisLives = Math.PI > 4 ? "Yep" : "Nope";

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2011, 10:12:26 AM »
not enough 220v availability in homes to make their market segment big enough.

Isn't in all homes?

Lee Morrison

Offline grinderz

• Standard User
  • No unjacked threads!
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2011, 10:24:37 AM »
not enough 220v availability in homes to make their market segment big enough.

Isn't in all homes?
They're in hard to reach places in my house. Behind a stove and behind some appliances in a tiny laundry room.
var elvisLives = Math.PI > 4 ? "Yep" : "Nope";