Author Topic: Grinder Bridging  (Read 806 times)

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
Grinder Bridging
« on: December 27, 2011, 02:15:27 PM »
Went to use my Super Jolly today to make a capp for breakfast only to find out that the thing turned on but the beans would not feed down into the grinder.  I thumped it, shook it, everything short of sticking something either up it or down it but the beans would not feed.   I eventually had to open up the grind coarse a bit to get them to start going down.

Anyone else ever experience this?   I am finding that for my espresso to get it to a 30 second shot I have to have the burrs on this thing almost touching and even then it seems a bit erratic.   Maybe the burrs are a bit dull?   I did buy it new and although the seller said they were new burrs, maybe they were not so new?    I havent used it much at all, and shamefully have to say that until I started doing espresso, it essentially sat for a few years in the corner unused.   Maybe they are just crapped up and needing a cleaning, I don't know.

My astra, although the burrs are very close as well, doesn't seem to have any problems at all?

Any ideas and / or suggestions that are NOT including sell it to you for 50 bucks?

Thanks
Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Offline grinderz

• Standard User
  • No unjacked threads!
Re: Grinder Bridging
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2011, 03:09:28 PM »
You probably know this but you want to always adjust (at least when going tighter) with the grinder running as beans can get smooshed down into the burrs and prevent the beans from going through.
var elvisLives = Math.PI > 4 ? "Yep" : "Nope";

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2011, 03:12:25 PM »
yes I do know that grinders but thanks for the reminder.  The thing was running fine just the beans were not feeding.... which is why I was reluctant to go shoving something into it to 'make them' feed and potentially pulling a garbage disposal .vs. sterling silver spoon move  ;D

Aaron
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

blzrfn

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2011, 04:03:46 PM »
Sell it to me for $51?   ;D

I would disassemble the top end and take a peak inside.  It is very easy to do and maybe then you will answer your own question.  I can't see this problem happening unless you were trying to grind very large beans.

Tex

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2011, 04:12:25 PM »
Pull the top burr & check the sharpness by pulling the machined edge over a thumbnail. If it doesn't shave the nail replace them.

IIRC, you weigh each dose? The way the burrs are designed, it could be the crushing edges can't grab loose beans before they're pop-corned back up. These are brand new burrs; notice the grey finish. If yours are shiny they're worn out.

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2011, 04:26:41 PM »
The very outer 'ring' around them maybe 1/4 inch is shiny, but the ones in your picture seem that way a bit too.    They do grab nail when I try them down the blade.   Once I took the blade set off the top and then reseated it down there and tightened the ring again I found that the 'grind sweet spot' shifted significantly.  I wonder if I need to disassemble thing thing for a real good cleaning or something?

The bottom burr set, it looks like you shove something down along side them to hold them still and use a socket to undo the bolt holding them?

Aaron

Tex

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2011, 05:05:42 PM »
The very outer 'ring' around them maybe 1/4 inch is shiny, but the ones in your picture seem that way a bit too.    They do grab nail when I try them down the blade.   Once I took the blade set off the top and then reseated it down there and tightened the ring again I found that the 'grind sweet spot' shifted significantly.  I wonder if I need to disassemble thing thing for a real good cleaning or something?

The bottom burr set, it looks like you shove something down along side them to hold them still and use a socket to undo the bolt holding them?

Aaron

Just wedge something into the bottom burr carrier (I push a screwdriver in through the grounds chute). I'm guessing you didn't reset the burr setting to the original spot - removing and reinstalling the same set of burrs shouldn't change anything.

A good cleaning of the burrs, carriers and grind chamber never hurt any grinder.