Author Topic: Kone advice  (Read 1096 times)

RobertL

Kone advice
« on: December 26, 2011, 07:09:12 PM »

Santa brought me a new Kone gen2 Chemex set up for Christmas and today was my first time to use it. I ended up with quite a bit of sediment in the cup. I used 22 grams of coffee 12 ounces of water and a grind setting of 20 on my virtuoso. I poured 1oz and bloomed for 30 seconds then poured the rest total pour time was 2:30. I did pour in a pretty aggressive circular pattern. My question is should I grind finer to lessen the fines or should I try pouring more towards the center?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2017, 12:55:43 PM by Joe »

Tex

Re: Kone advice
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2011, 08:06:37 PM »
What kind of grinder did you use? Grind is key to any extraction method, not just espresso.

Offline staylor

• Standard User
  • Back in Canada and the espresso still tastes good.
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2011, 09:20:21 PM »
Try bumping it up to 28gms.

ecc

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2011, 07:25:49 AM »
Congrats on the new toy!

Your grind setting may need to go coarser, depending upon your individual grinder calibration halfway (20/40) may not be coarse enough.  I run about the same coffee water ratio, (within a gram or two) and it will come out noticeably sweeter and cleaner (less bitter extraction) at coarser grinds.   You can tell when you get too coarse as it goes a little sour in the cup. (or until your grinder can't handle the gap and starts kicking out tons of fines)

I also divide my pour into 3 sections:
 1 > The first is the pre-wet, get it nice and soaked and wait for all expansion/air/bloom movement to stop.
 2 > The second section sets up the filter bed, you can spiral around a little to distribute the grinds, but go very slowly and close to the top of the coffee. 
 3 > The third section is faster pouring, but only in the very middle.  I try not to change the level of the slurry but want to get the entire pour finished (including blooming) within 3 minutes.  Stay close to the top of the coffee and don't disrupt the filter bed layer of coffee lining the Kone.

If it already tastes good, and you can easily control your brewing time with large and small batches, then don't worry so much about the sediment!  Enjoy your new Kone!

RobertL

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2011, 07:53:38 AM »
What kind of grinder did you use? Grind is key to any extraction method, not just espresso.

Santa brought me a new Kone gen2 Chemex set up for Christmas and today was my first time to use it. I ended up with quite a bit of sediment in the cup. I used 22 grams of coffee 12 ounces of water and a grind setting of 20 on my virtuoso. I poured 1oz and bloomed for 30 seconds then poured the rest total pour time was 2:30. I did pour in a pretty aggressive circular pattern. My question is should I grind finer to lessen the fines or should I try pouring more towards the center?

RobertL

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2011, 07:57:53 AM »
Thanks for all the replies I'm going to do some experimenting today. I want to get this method down so I can do a head to head with the Karlsbad ceramic brewer.

BoldJava

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2011, 08:00:04 AM »
Thanks for all the replies I'm going to do some experimenting today. I want to get this method down so I can do a head to head with the Karlsbad ceramic brewer.

With the KONE, it is a bit counterintuitive.  I grind about 20% finer than a standard pourover.  Don't ask me why it works right, but it does <grins>.

B|Java

RobertL

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2011, 10:34:57 AM »
Okay gave the tips I received here a try. Changed grind to a 16 on the Virtuoso 20% finer. After the bloom I used a slower pour in a tighter circular motion and then switched to pouring in the center to finished it off. This cup was much better than the first hardly any fines at all!