Author Topic: Hottop filters  (Read 792 times)

RobertL

Hottop filters
« on: December 27, 2011, 08:13:11 AM »
Has anyone tried these filters listed on eBay as replacement Hottop filters?

« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 08:17:23 AM by RobertL »

milowebailey

Re: Hottop filters
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2011, 08:26:26 AM »
Nope, what I do is have two filters... soak one in coffee cleaner over night.  Then let air dry.  They clean pretty well.

cfsharidan taught me this trick.

Although I have toyed with the idea of using a range hood filter cut to size.

Offline Mlee

• Standard User
  • Roaster-Hottop b Espresso-Gagggia espresso
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2011, 08:31:41 AM »
Nope, what I do is have two filters... soak one in coffee cleaner over night.  Then let air dry.  They clean pretty well.

cfsharidan taught me this trick.

Although I have toyed with the idea of using a range hood filter cut to size.
What kind of cleaner are you using, and how many roasts before you are soaking them. I have tried using the clean-caf but it didnt seem to get it clean enough. Maybe I let the filter go to long before I tried to clean it?
Prov 3:5-6-Trust in the Lord with all your heart
                Lean not on your own understanding
                Acknowledge Him in all your ways
                And He will make your paths straight

milowebailey

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2011, 08:36:44 AM »
I use oxyclean in hot water.  I've also used TSP, but make sure you rinse well

Offline Mlee

• Standard User
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2011, 08:40:42 AM »
Thanks, Iwill have to try the oxyclean....Do you do the same for the top filter?

milowebailey

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2011, 08:47:38 AM »
Thanks, Iwill have to try the oxyclean....Do you do the same for the top filter?
yes

GC7

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2011, 09:03:30 AM »
I have three filters that I rotate. After about 10-15 roasts I just rinse it in hot cafiza solution to get out all the coffee oils and dirt. I rinse very well and let dry.  They last through MANY cycles of this cleaning.

On another note: I'm having increasing trouble with three of the buttons on my control panel. The power, eject and heat/fan lowering buttons.  I can press them 10-20 times in different ways before I get a response.  It's a pain and I'm afraid I may need to replace the panel (~$120). I just got an email form Michael and he had not heard this but suggested possibly cleaning contacts with alcohol (I assume from the inside).  Any suggestions from this group?

RobertL

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2011, 10:28:53 AM »
Thanks Milow I 'll have to start using Oxy clean. My HT came with two filters I'm currently on my second filter I think I used the first one for too many roast. I started seeing smoke and residue build up on the bean chute. When I noticed this I decided to run the fan at 25% during the entire first stage of the roast. That was a big mistake I pooched the roast it came out very uneven. I changed the filter after that, lesson learned. While we are on the subject any tips on getting the smoke/coffee residue build up off the bean chute?

Offline Mlee

• Standard User
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2011, 11:01:09 AM »
Thanks Milow I 'll have to start using Oxy clean. My HT came with two filters I'm currently on my second filter I think I used the first one for too many roast. I started seeing smoke and residue build up on the bean chute. When I noticed this I decided to run the fan at 25% during the entire first stage of the roast. That was a big mistake I pooched the roast it came out very uneven. I changed the filter after that, lesson learned. While we are on the subject any tips on getting the smoke/coffee residue build up off the bean chute?
If you take the back cover and the top panel off, it will give you access to the bean chute. Two screws hold it in. I soak mine in CleanCaf for 30 minutes and it wipes right off. I also soak the front cover, drum, anything that bilds up residue. I dont get to stressed about it, maybe once a month or two. It is a real easy machine to disassemble and put back together forthose of us that are mechanically challenged, which is me.. :D

moglman

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2011, 05:14:59 PM »
I use this, just the carbon layer cut to fit and doubled up.  Seems to work well.  I will get about 10 replacement double filters.  Cleans up ok for reuse in cafiza and runs about $2 per filter.