Author Topic: Kickstarter - Cold Dripper  (Read 971 times)

BoldJava

Kickstarter - Cold Dripper
« on: March 25, 2012, 07:08:49 AM »
Another one hitting the market.  $400 backers get one when released.  I won't be in the line to buy one but thought I would post:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/billabbe/proper-coffee-cold-drip

blzrfn

Re: Kickstarter - Cold Dripper
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 10:11:49 AM »
I like cold brewed coffee in the summer, but am happy with the results I get from a mason jar and paper filter.

Offline MGLloyd

• Standard User
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2012, 11:23:48 AM »
Man, this is just repurposing of some lab glassware.  Fancy frame, though.  A few minutes work with a lab catalog, and you can replicate this for an order of magnitude less than the $ 600 price.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 11:27:28 AM by MGLloyd »

Regards,

Michael Lloyd
Arlington, Washington  USA

jbviau

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2012, 01:25:18 PM »
A quote from the site: "The glass coffee funnel has been updated with a new fixed stone filter disk that will never have to be replaced and is also dishwasher safe. It’s producing the best coffee yet and also creates a very cool visual of the coffee drip process as the coffee is slowly released from the stone filter."

Stone? Interesting. Someone on CG started a thread inquiring about this, which is what made me take a second look.

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2012, 02:39:22 PM »
A quote from the site: "The glass coffee funnel has been updated with a new fixed stone filter disk that will never have to be replaced and is also dishwasher safe. It’s producing the best coffee yet and also creates a very cool visual of the coffee drip process as the coffee is slowly released from the stone filter."

Stone? Interesting. Someone on CG started a thread inquiring about this, which is what made me take a second look.

Exactly.  There are some unique differences between this and my Toddy or a mason jar.  Not worth the high price to me, but I could see where a slow cold drip would produce a different brew than letting a lb. of coffee soak overnight.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline MGLloyd

• Standard User
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2012, 07:10:49 PM »

Ceramic or stone filter discs are commonly used in labs.  Nothing special.

Regards,

Michael Lloyd
Arlington, Washington  USA

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2012, 05:25:25 AM »
I like cold brewed coffee in the summer, but am happy with the results I get from a mason jar and paper filter.

+1

To me that seems like a solution that is looking for a problem. Why use a device that costs $600.00 for cold coffee brewing when you could use just whatever you have available around the house to get great results with for this method.

Of course if you have an extra $600 in your pocket readily awaiting to be spent on a new glass dripper then by all means.

:)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2012, 05:27:31 AM by mp »
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2012, 05:32:19 AM »
There are some unique differences between this and my Toddy or a mason jar.  Not worth the high price to me, but I could see where a slow cold drip would produce a different brew than letting a lb. of coffee soak overnight.

That being the case I'm sure it could be done without the use of cad/cam at a much less cost.

1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2012, 10:21:54 AM »
There are some unique differences between this and my Toddy or a mason jar.  Not worth the high price to me, but I could see where a slow cold drip would produce a different brew than letting a lb. of coffee soak overnight.

That being the case I'm sure it could be done without the use of cad/cam at a much less cost.

Evidently there are plenty of folks who don't think like you and I, who have already sent fund to back this project.  There must be something to the idea that almost anything can find a market, no matter how small.  I wouldn't bring that cold-dripper to market, but you have to comment the guy for taking the chance.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you