Author Topic: Coffee Joules  (Read 2058 times)

Tex

Re: Coffee Joules
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2012, 04:58:04 PM »
Thanks for the feedback.  I like the idea of the Joules, and may get a set.

C'mon dude, don't toss underhand like a girl - throw them in there like you had a pair already!! ;D

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
  • splitting bags and having fun
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2012, 09:19:42 AM »
How big are these? It looks like from the picture that you might not want to swig that last drop of coffee or espresso?

I don't think these are going to take off, China will make some lead based ones on eBay if they do.

[url=http://www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com/index.php?board=37

Offline rasqual

• Standard User
  • Chaser of Midwest farmers' daughters
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2012, 10:01:03 AM »
I found that the coffee actually cooled TOO quickly in my cup - only 1 minute to correct drinking temp, but too cool after about 3 more minutes. Not a problem if you like to GULP your coffee!

Next time, I'll use 4 Joulies instead of 5.

Well, here's a question. Could their use be finessed with a bit of pre-heat to the Joules? In fact, it seems to me, as I consider the dynamics, that it might be better still to use more Joules -- but with some level of pre-heat to them.

As you use more, their immediate thermal effect will be more pronounced. Pre-heating would reduce that immediate effect, offsetting the increase in number. But that would also mean more thermal inertia to slow cooling.

It may be difficult, with this phase change stuff, to be repeatable with pre-heating. I presume there's a drastic thermal curve at some point with the things. So perhaps pre-heating should be thought of as how many room temperature ones you add, and how many fully pre-heated ones.

Heck, I can envision a scenario where you just boil the darned things in your water heater. Or maybe drop them in just at boil to drop the temp in the brewing water to a good brewing level AND give them a full pre-heat, before they join their cooler fellows in the cup.

Seriously, as with the Aeropress, I suspect this technology is going to see some cunning hacks. And no, I'm not talking about anyone here.    ;D

Offline ScareYourPassenger

• Standard User
  • lever lover
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2012, 10:11:32 AM »
Hmm, I wonder if these would solve my morning americano water delima. The water out of the espresso machine is too hot to mix with the espresso so I have to pull water first and let it sit till it cools before I can put it in my thermos.

Offline rgrosz78

• Standard User
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2012, 10:21:38 AM »
How big are these? It looks like from the picture that you might not want to swig that last drop of coffee or espresso?

I don't think these are going to take off, China will make some lead based ones on eBay if they do.
They are pretty big - about 2 inches long.

They come shipped in a nice small box with a foam insert. Only weighs 11 ounces - this may be a good candidate for a roadshow / lottery.
Life is too short to drink bad wine (or bad coffee!)

Offline rgrosz78

• Standard User
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2012, 10:25:25 AM »
Sorry about the size of those pix - Ummmm - they are not THAT big.
Life is too short to drink bad wine (or bad coffee!)

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2012, 10:28:56 AM »
Still ... they look to be a good size.

Thank you for posting them.

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Offline rasqual

• Standard User