Author Topic: Espresso Equipment Help  (Read 3204 times)

BozemanEric

Re: Espresso Equipment Help
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2012, 06:26:12 PM »
since you're already used to hand grinding, I'd recommend the Pharos.

We use a hand grinder for travel and backpacking. If I decided to use the $1000 budget on a machine, we could hand grind by hand for a while.  More than likely, a short while.  It takes a couple minutes to grind for a pourover.  I can not imagine the effort to pull shots.

Offline expy98

• Standard User
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2012, 07:09:33 PM »
Can you spare 20 secs to grind for a double? That's how long it takes to grind on a Pharos.

Tex

« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2012, 09:33:35 PM »
Wasn't the group's consensus that while the Pharos is a good engineering exercise & it certainly does grind well, it wasn't ready for prime time as an everyday grinder?

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2012, 09:42:47 PM »
Your budget is $1000 for machine and grinder?

How about $800 for this:

and this ...

Buy the last espresso machine and espresso grinder that you'll ever need ... first.

(Click on first image for link.)

;)

« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 09:44:32 PM by mp »
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Offline expy98

• Standard User
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2012, 10:15:47 PM »
Wasn't the group's consensus that while the Pharos is a good engineering exercise & it certainly does grind well, it wasn't ready for prime time as an everyday grinder?

It's been my only grinder for over a year, sold the SJ right away, best equipment upgrade evah.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 11:55:48 PM by expy98 »

BozemanEric

« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2012, 10:21:34 PM »
A hand grinder is not really an issue. I only use one when there is no other option.  The one we have, has never been used at home and the only circumstance I could see its home use would be in the event of a power outage. 

I do like the set up mp found but unfortunately counterspace is at a premium in my household. I love the aesthetics of our early, 20th Century home but the kitchens and bathrooms in these places suck until you bust out a wall or two, which we have not done. The footprint, and some advise from Tex, are what have steered me away from the Silvia to the Gaggia Classic. I am looking to order at the beginning of next week and the Classic with the Vario are in the lead. 

Soapbox

« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2012, 10:15:06 AM »
I also intend to upgrade both my grinder in Sept and a machine shortly after December.  The Cunil grinder posted will be my grinder choice and the machine will be a Ponte Vecchio Lusso 2 Group.  An excelent machine which is sure to last many many moons.  Furthermore, the consistency and forgiveness factor makes me feel good. IMO well worth the money.
http://www.vanelis.com/store/p-411-ponte-vecchio-lusso-1-group.aspx

BozemanEric

« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2012, 11:10:43 AM »
I also intend to upgrade both my grinder in Sept and a machine shortly after December.  The Cunil grinder posted will be my grinder choice and the machine will be a Ponte Vecchio Lusso 2 Group.  An excelent machine which is sure to last many many moons.  Furthermore, the consistency and forgiveness factor makes me feel good. IMO well worth the money.
http://www.vanelis.com/store/p-411-ponte-vecchio-lusso-1-group.aspx

You are the second person to mention this grinder, so I probably should take a second look. I would prefer one grinder on the counter, but if I am going get better results from a dedicated espresso grinder, I might be willing to fight for some more counter space. 

Will I get better results from a dedicated espresso grinder like the Cunill?

Are you going doseless or doser?  

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2012, 11:59:59 AM »
I would prefer one grinder on the counter, but if I am going get better results from a dedicated espresso grinder, I might be willing to fight for some more counter space.

Will I get better results from a dedicated espresso grinder like the Cunill?

The convenience factor of having two grinders is something to not be underestimated.  My Compak is great for both espresso and french press.  But it's a lot happier just staying set for espresso; even tho' the conical burrs are more forgiving and don't need to be set as precisely as flat burrs for the perfect shot, it just makes life better to not have to adjust twice a day (at a minimum).
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline sea330

• Standard User
« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2012, 04:07:53 PM »
Hi everybody just curious I have a chance to pick up a Expober Brutius 3 very cheap the only thing I am concerned is that it has a Vib pump and from what I have read the rotary pump is the only way to go, I like the lever feature for pulling shots and it can be plumed for a water supply perfect for me. I think I read somewhere that it is easy to swap out the pumps and install the rotary pump. I have looked and the Expobar with the rotary pump and is a little over 2K I can get this for under $400. I think I have lots of room to upgrade if if the swap is doable. What is the advantage of a rotary pump over Vib pump. Sure would appreciate some info on this approach. Thank Rich

Soapbox

« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2012, 04:37:29 PM »
The noise associated with the vibe pump is annoying early in the morning when half asleep.  Some things to ask prior to your purchase would be:
Age of machine?
Maintenance Records?
Why is it for sale?
Was a softener used?
Original place purchased?
Any defects? (leaks, dents)
Any other goodies come along with it?  (grinder?? maybe wishful thinking but heck why not?)
Ease of use (as I recall there can be some temp instabilities if you don't follow the proper ritual of flushing)

Offline sea330

• Standard User
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2012, 05:01:28 PM »
Looks like it was very well cared for, no exterior damage almost perfect. He used soft water from his house system. Included is a couple porta filters, some cups and a knock box the Lady told me that her husband back flushed with RO water often, should be very clean, she told me he can't have coffee anymore so that is the reason they are selling it. She thought it is about 3 years old and the serial number reflects that. no maintenance records I think it's a steel at the price. Thanks for your input. Rich

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2012, 06:20:27 PM »
The noise associated with the vibe pump is annoying early in the morning when half asleep. 

+1

They will both do the job, the rotary is much quieter than the vibe.

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2012, 07:24:22 PM »
The noise associated with the vibe pump is annoying early in the morning when half asleep. 

+1

They will both do the job, the rotary is much quieter than the vibe.

:)

There's nothing wrong with a vibe pump as far as usability and function go.

If you're comfortable with the rest of the machine and you either have a suitable grinder or will get one, my suggestion would be to buy the Brewtus and learn what it can do.  You'll always be able to sell it for what you paid for it when/if you want something else.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

smico

« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2012, 07:33:48 PM »
I have plumbed in Brewtus 3 R with PID, about the same age and I indeed paid around 2K.
It's beautiful machine.  If you insist on rotary pump, you can get conversion kit.
Recently my machine started leaking a bit on the boilers and I will check this out when I have time.
Fire away any questions if you have, but although I see how much value is lost, I never regret buying it, and would do it again.  Especially for such a price.  Jump right on.