Author Topic: descaling question / bad results?  (Read 1263 times)

Offline dfluke

• Standard User
descaling question / bad results?
« on: October 11, 2012, 12:50:14 PM »
I recently purchased a bonavita electric kettle, and of course, after a while using it, it started to become gross on the bottom, so I descaled it. I put in a package of urnex dezcal and put in about 4 cups of water (which is what it can hold, but which also proved to be too much).
So after I cleaned it up, I was left with this blotch in the bottom.

Did I do something wrong? Is this normal? I did stir in the powder a bit before running the cycle but the only thing I can think of is that it sat on the bottom.
The performance of the kettle isn't diminished, it just looks weird.

I've attached a photo.

Anyone have any advice?
enjoy coffee on your own terms!

Ray T

Re: descaling question / bad results?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2012, 01:14:34 PM »
Kind of looks like the urnex  didn't remove all the gunk ?? Doesn't look etched

tyme

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2012, 01:15:02 PM »
Is that Stainless or Aluminum?

Tex

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2012, 01:17:08 PM »
I've seen stainless steel espresso filter baskets turn completely black after descaling with Dezcal. Since the main descaling agent in Dezcal is citric acid, and I know it doesn't cause blackening, I'd be suspicious of the other ingredients. Try a plain citric acid solution and see if it removes the stain?

Which begs the question; Are you using filtered water to begin with? My whole house is softened with salt and my coffee nook uses a cation potassium system - zero scale problems in my gear!

Offline MMW

• Standard User
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2012, 01:17:52 PM »
If it's stainless maybe try warming a little vinegar in it and swirling it around?
"During the early 19th century, most Americans subsisted on a diet of pork, whiskey, and coffee.  ----- Where did we go wrong?

BoldJava

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2012, 01:37:18 PM »
I've seen stainless steel espresso filter baskets turn completely black after descaling with Dezcal. Since the main descaling agent in Dezcal is citric acid, and I know it doesn't cause blackening, I'd be suspicious of the other ingredients. .  .

From the MSDS:
Material CAS# LD-50-LC50 Mixture: LD50 (oral rat)
Citric Acid 77-92-9 5500 mg/kg
Aluminum Sulfate 10043-01-3 N/A
Sulfamic Acid 5329-14-6 3160 mg/kg

http://www.cw-usa.com/common/images/other/dezcal-msds.pdf

Offline dfluke

• Standard User
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2012, 01:47:12 PM »
This is what I have:
http://bona-vita.biz/products/kettle2.asp

It says that it's stainless steel.

I am using a very basic 2 stage under the sink filtration system for the water. It's one they sell at sears, a kenmore brand I believe.  I doubt that it's as good as what a coffee shop would have, but it does pretty well.

I'm just not familiar with chemicals and descaling agents and figured I did something wrong. I tried wiping it out, but that didn't work.
I'll have to purchase some vinegar to try.

Offline dfluke

• Standard User
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2012, 01:48:39 PM »
Kind of looks like the urnex  didn't remove all the gunk ?? Doesn't look etched
That spot wasn't there when I started. I had a little ring around the outside portion where the element probably lies under the kettle. That spot was created when I put the dezcal in and turned it on.

Offline grinderz

• Standard User
  • No unjacked threads!
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2012, 03:17:47 PM »
Just a hypothesis, but it sounds like where the stainless steel is close to the element that some metallurgical change occurs. Stainless steel has all kinds of other elements in it besides iron, namely chrome and nickel and sometimes other metals depending on properties desired in the steel. I bet if you looked it up, one of the components in your descaler reacts with some form of chrome or nickel.
var elvisLives = Math.PI > 4 ? "Yep" : "Nope";