Author Topic: HG-One Hand Grinder  (Read 2620 times)

juker

Re: HG-One Hand Grinder
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2013, 05:08:39 PM »
Proud owner of HGOne-83-0003 here… Been using it for 3 days so far. Below are my initial impressions.
Preface: 
I love espresso, but I’m no expert on the subject.
My pallet and palette are both not educated and not certified. ;D
Equipment:  Baratza Vario and Le-Lit 53, Gaggia Achille (My first love - R.I.P.) and Brewtus
Reasons for upgrade:
Frustration with inconsistency.
Vario was too ‘vario’ for me. Unpredictable adjustability, frustration with getting it into the zone after a clean-up. Once it stabilizes, it’s not so long before I start sensing off-taste – time for a clean-up.
Le-Lit is easier to adjust, shorter adjustment stabilization period, but timed dose is inconsistent due to chamber clumping/clogging. Messy.
Both retain grinds and require 5-10g purging. Both do not work well with a single dose.
I’m not denying that majority of the problems are on the handle side of the portafilter.

HG One (after 2 lbs of coffee through )
1 –  Consistency finally! I’m getting exactly the same cup after cup after cup…
Factors contributing to the consistency: pre-weighted single dose.
2 –  In the cup:  Clarity! I understand now what people mean when they say ‘separation of flavors’.
Definite and significant flavor improvement over B.Vario and Le-Lit.
3 -  Adjustability:  repeatable, easy, predictable.
4 -  Operation: Once you get it going (like pedaling a bike) – it’s easy-peasy.
Initial push requires counter balancing force to keep grinder in place – something one has to get used to.
5 – This grinder will require some sort of distribution routine.
18 g of coffee produces insane volume of grinds. Easily 3 times of the basket volume. Quick toothpick stir in the tumbler reduces it in half, a firm tap on the counter brings it to-the-rim-of-the-basket volume.
I’m going to get OE tall dosing cylinder and see if I can grind directly into the basket.
6 -  Popcorn effect (culprit of versalab):  zero. Never seen a single bean.
7 -  Static:  Nonexistent so far, but used only one coffee. Environment is pretty dry due to heat pump running (I’m constantly getting static zaps from my dog).
8 -  Build quality:  Heavy, solid, sturdy, smooth, precise. Fit and finish, tight tolerances and smooth movement reminds me of a Carl Zeiss microscope I’ve used in our R&D lab back in 70’s. The only play you can find in this grinder is very slight rotational play in miter gear. Main shaft is rock solid and smooth.

Will gladly answer any questions. People in Toronto area are welcome to visit for a demo.
Here’s the picture of it next to Brewtus for size reference.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 06:00:06 PM by juker »

BoldJava

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2013, 06:20:36 PM »
Great first look, thanks.   I have followed the thread over at HB.  Somehow, I expected the grinder to be taller.  The OE filter funnels are wonderful.

BozemanEric

« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2013, 06:31:59 PM »
Thanks for the review. I have had my eye on one of these for a while. I would be intrested in hearing how easy it is to dial in a new bean as we change espresso blends frequently. Pease let me know after you swap beans out a couple times.

Offline ScareYourPassenger

• Standard User
  • lever lover
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2013, 06:52:26 PM »
Let us know how the distribution technique changes. After getting a Pharos I ditched wdt and don't want to go back.