Author Topic: No more boulders and dust for me  (Read 2349 times)

Aromajunkie

No more boulders and dust for me
« on: November 26, 2012, 04:43:26 PM »
I am making the quantum leap from a spinning blade grinder to a Mazzer Mini.

I've tried a few cheap burr grinders along the way, and was disappointed. I will soon be looking for an entry level Espresso setup.

Suggestions?

milowebailey

Re: No more boulders and dust for me
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2012, 04:47:52 PM »
What is your budget?

Aromajunkie

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2012, 05:20:16 PM »
What is your budget?

Well, after buying the Mazzer, I'll have to save a while, but I'm thinking 3 to 5 Benjamins.

milowebailey

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2012, 05:40:28 PM »
One of Tex's Gaggias would be a good entry level machine.

Tex

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2012, 05:42:04 PM »
That's a pretty low budget for a new grinder if you're planning on making good espresso? But you're in the ballpark for a good used grinder.

RobertL

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2012, 05:42:40 PM »
I know a guy who is selling two finely tuned Gaggia Classics within your price range.  :D

RobertL

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2012, 05:45:13 PM »
That's a pretty low budget for a new grinder if you're planning on making good espresso? But you're in the ballpark for a good used grinder.

He already has a Mazzer Mini now he is in the market for an espresso machine. Geez no wonder you can't sell those gaggias.  ;D

Cronus

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2012, 06:15:51 PM »
I picked up a used Super Jolly last year with new burrs and a doserless set up for $350.  I couldn't be happier.  I'm sure you'll find what you want in your price range.

Aromajunkie

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2012, 06:32:37 PM »
I now see that my original post is a bit confusing. I just bought a Mazzer Mini grinder. Now that I will be able to get a good espresso grind, I'm in the market for an espresso machine (as soon as the gadget fund recovers).

Tex's Gaggias look like a good setup.

Cronus

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2012, 06:45:12 PM »
Haha...my bad...with that budget it will be difficult to get a quality espresso machine.  Best of luck in your search.

century

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2012, 07:07:57 PM »
A Tex Gaggia is your best bet in that price range. Great value for money.
If you go new, I would recommend a Silvia. Used one for a couple years, it was decent, but your going to upgrade eventually.

Tex

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2012, 07:38:06 PM »
I now see that my original post is a bit confusing. I just bought a Mazzer Mini grinder. Now that I will be able to get a good espresso grind, I'm in the market for an espresso machine (as soon as the gadget fund recovers).

Tex's Gaggias look like a good setup.

Rancilio Siivia & Gaggia Classic are both good beginner espresso machines, but both are much better after they've been equipped with a PID.

Offline bekeld

• Standard User
  • Espresso: QuickMill Roaster: Behmor, HGDB
No more boulders and dust for me
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2012, 08:37:37 PM »
I'm a very satisfied Tex Gaggia user. I also own a QuickMill Andreja. The Gaggia was bought when the Andreja needed to be serviced. I was very impressed with the shots and foaming. I wish I would have met Tex before I bought Andreja--would have saved me a few dollars.

EricBNC

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2012, 12:50:59 AM »
I am making the quantum leap from a spinning blade grinder to a Mazzer Mini.

I've tried a few cheap burr grinders along the way, and was disappointed. I will soon be looking for an entry level Espresso setup.

Suggestions?

I haven't tried a Mazzer Mini, but I do have a grinder that uses the same burrs. I think this grinder should make a big difference over that blade grinder in your espresso quality with any machine you end up buying.

Offline rgrosz78

• Standard User
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2012, 05:52:48 AM »
Rancilio Siivia & Gaggia Classic are both good beginner espresso machines, but both are much better after they've been equipped with a PID.
+1
I followed Tex's advice and put a PID on my Gaggia Classic. It made a huge difference in my ability to pull a good espresso. It also restored the ability to steam milk, which my Gaggia had lost somehow.
Life is too short to drink bad wine (or bad coffee!)