Author Topic: So what do you tell people?  (Read 2638 times)

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
Re: So what do you tell people?
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2012, 02:23:16 PM »

Ex - has been
Spurt - drip under pressure

That ain't me! Coffee nerd: maybe? Coffee geek: OK.

When I tracked you down some half dozen years ago I thought that you were the coffee messiah compared to the knowledge I had at the time.

Thanks to your efforts, a lot of reading and research, and a bunch of coffee consumption later I know a bunch more.

Thank you to all the members here my knowledge keeps growing.

It is a long and prosperous journey.

;D
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 02:25:26 PM by mp »
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Offline staylor

• Standard User
  • Back in Canada and the espresso still tastes good.
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2012, 02:44:51 PM »
As an opening statement by someone I don't know, the "I want to get a good espresso machine" probably means they don't have an espresso machine yet, but I still ask them what they are currently using to make coffee. Most of the time the answer comes back with French Press, Drip Coffee Maker, or Moka Pot and they are dissatisfied with the cup. Their thought being that espresso will cure their dissatisfaction. My next question is what kind of grinder are you using? From that answer it usually flows into a discussion about how much money to spend on a decent burr grinder and espresso machines get forgotten.

Basically, I shift the conversation from what kind of espresso machine is good and instead I talk about methods to improve their current setup. More often than not it concludes with getting a better grinder. Sometimes the conversation changes to "Well what would you do if you were starting from scratch?" and most of the time (due to their budget) I tell them to buy a Melitta pourover and a good grinder and start using good coffee and good technique.

If they already have an espresso machine I ask them what they don't like about it. Typically the issue comes from not being able to do multiple shots and milk for multiple guests. So the conversation drifts to budgets and the cost for a machine that will let them make multiple back to back latte's... which usually drags the conversation back to good grinder, good coffee, good technique and good pourover setup.

Offline Ascholten

• Administrator
  • Artisian 6 and Behmor
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2012, 02:51:43 PM »
You have to be honest with them. Tell them,  how good are you willing to go?   Good espresso is NOT cheap.  I want a good car,  ok are we talking good ford,  good mercedes or good mazarati?  What is your definition of 'good'.

Explain to them that a decent starter machine is around 500 bucks, yes they can get something a bit cheaper but will end up disappointed,  then tell them, but to make that 500 dollar machine do it's job, you need to put another 300 into the grinder.   and that's just starting.

Ok, we all know this, im trying to preach to the choir but my point is, tell them up front, if you want a steam toy get one of those all in wonder blunder boxes,  if you are REALLY serious about quality espresso, it's going to cost you.

When I brought my espresso setup into work last year, everyone LOVED the shots I pulled for them, even the guys who had the 'toys' at home said, man this is a lot better than I can ever get.  Then they asked me how much did that stuff cost and I quoted the 900 dollar price tag. Many jaws dropped but then I said, and now you know why you can't 'get it this good at home' on your 99 dollar walmart special. I then said and that coffee you get at your commercial store, that espresso machine, you can triple at least that price for that machine.

I had one person ask me afterwards to get him started down the espresso road which I gladly did.  He is in love with his setup and I asked him, are you upset blowing a grand on coffee stuff and he said, nope, in fact im looking at roasting my own soon, (i used to supply him with roasted beans) so he's hooked too.

Aaron

Aaron
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 02:55:44 PM by Ascholten »
As I have grown older, I have learned that pleasing everybody is impossible, but pissing everybody off is a piece of cake!

Tex

« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2012, 03:08:03 PM »
It's in my nature to proselytize; whether it's for espresso or religion. So I don't give folks glib answers when they ask me about espresso.

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2012, 05:50:32 PM »
Cut open some nespresso pods and toss em in...

Indeed it illustrates the problem.
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2012, 06:42:01 PM »
Sometimes the best lesson and advice is gained first hand.

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

jimec3

« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2012, 09:06:00 AM »

Leaving espresso out, most folks I encounter are unwilling to purchase decent drip grinders and brewers.  They can't seem to believe that a twenty dollar grinder and a twenty dollar brewer isn't doing their coffee justice.  They do have carbon fiber kayak paddles....

I usually preface any guestion about coffee with "I might not be there person to ask as this is a pretty serious hobby that I have enough money invested in to make your wife leave you"

Tex

« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2012, 09:45:08 AM »

Leaving espresso out, most folks I encounter are unwilling to purchase decent drip grinders and brewers.  They can't seem to believe that a twenty dollar grinder and a twenty dollar brewer isn't doing their coffee justice.  They do have carbon fiber kayak paddles....

I usually preface any guestion about coffee with "I might not be there person to ask as this is a pretty serious hobby that I have enough money invested in to make your wife leave you"

Considering that so many folks still believe that Folgers is good coffee, I'm not surprised when they buy a Mr Coffee. Then there are those who're convinced that *$ is the final word on coffee, and these I'm convinced care about coffee the least; for them it's about having a logo cup on their desk that proves they're superior beings.

Offline rasqual

• Standard User
  • Chaser of Midwest farmers' daughters
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2012, 12:13:41 PM »
Mixed crowds are interesting.

At church, two distinct cohorts are evident. Group A can't really tell the difference between Folgers on the one hand, and quality fresh ground, properly brewed coffee -- nor, indeed, between fresh Folgers and coffee that's even worse than stale Folgers (my incident with the "garbage beans" I roasted for use in drip trays, and, on a lark, served to inquisitive folk who subsequently wondered what I thought was wrong with its flavor).

Group A can definitely tell the difference.

The problem comes when some representatives of group A make coffee and group B people are in the crowd -- in an environment where group B is accustomed to great coffee being served on weekends under the direction of, well, folks like me. But during the week when smaller-scale things are going on and I'm not around, some of the group A people make coffee and, not seeing any reason themselves to shun Folgers and percolators, deliver sub-par coffee to the group B folk. They, in turn, are incredulous, because they're aware that the coffee I provide is intended for anyone's use, at any time, for any purpose, free of charge or obligation.

From a standpoint of Christian service, an issue here is one of excellence -- those who want to deliver the best are not well understood, in their obsessive attention to quality, by those who cannot tell the difference. It's not that they're indifferent to excellence. It's that they literally can't distinguish it from mediocrity.

The same holds in many areas of life, I think. There's a group A and a group B everywhere -- and in social situations their mutual expectations lead to myriad uncomfortable scenarios I've only touched on. And though I may be a group B in the world of coffee, I'm certainly a group A in numerous other areas. I just need to be a non-oblivious one, appreciating folks who strive for excellence in areas where I'm a troglodyte.    :)