Author Topic: No more boulders and dust for me  (Read 2348 times)

SJM

Re: No more boulders and dust for me
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2012, 08:19:44 AM »
Going the Tex Gaggia path is a good idea.

My only quibble with the suggestions to do so is the concept of the Gaggia being "entry level".

I suppose it is because it is relatively inexpensive, accessible, and easily maintained and modified.
But it's not a machine which you will have to replace when your skills or your tastes improve.  And if  you buy the one from Tex, all the mods have already been done...cool.
As long as you pair it with a good grinder and take care of it ("keep it clean and keep it working" as Tex says), it could well be your first AND your last espresso machine.

It wasn't my first (I worked my way up through a lot of second hand Gaggias that I modded to make them more like the Classic), but when I finally felt like I knew how it all worked I got myself the real deal, added a PID and a Sylvia steam wand, and....I'm set.

Susan
(full disclosure:  co-owner with Tex of the Gaggia Group on Yahoo, better known as GUG)

Tex

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2012, 06:38:47 AM »
I am making the quantum leap from a spinning blade grinder to a Mazzer Mini.

I've tried a few cheap burr grinders along the way, and was disappointed. I will soon be looking for an entry level Espresso setup.

Suggestions?

Most of the time folks buy the espresso machine and we have to brow beat them into investing in a quality grinder, but with you that problem is already resolved. So I'm curious, why did you buy an espresso specific grinder if you don't yet have an espresso machine?

Tex

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2012, 08:06:51 AM »
Going the Tex Gaggia path is a good idea.

My only quibble with the suggestions to do so is the concept of the Gaggia being "entry level".
snipped
Susan

OK gal, just for the sake of clarification, what espresso machine that is capable of producing good coffee would you classify as entry level?

Aromajunkie

« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2012, 09:44:23 AM »

I've tried a few cheap burr grinders along the way, and was disappointed. I will soon be looking for an entry level Espresso setup.

Suggestions?

Most of the time folks buy the espresso machine and we have to brow beat them into investing in a quality grinder, but with you that problem is already resolved. So I'm curious, why did you buy an espresso specific grinder if you don't yet have an espresso machine?

I have not been a frequent espresso drinker, but my coffee geek'ness has steadily evolved. Though I want to get into espresso at some point, I also know that my pour-over and press pot coffee will benefit from a better grind quality. I expect to avoid the frustration of poorly ground coffee when I do get set up for espresso.

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2012, 01:31:13 PM »

Suggestions?

I have not been a frequent espresso drinker, but my coffee geek'ness has steadily evolved. Though I want to get into espresso at some point, I also know that my pour-over and press pot coffee will benefit from a better grind quality. I expect to avoid the frustration of poorly ground coffee when I do get set up for espresso.

You sir, are management material!
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Tex

« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2012, 04:34:54 PM »

Suggestions?

I can't tell you how often I've had to tell folks that the new & often expensive grinder they bought for espresso isn't up to the task. You've made my day by doing your homework & thinking ahead! ;D

Aromajunkie

Re: No more boulders and dust for me - first impressions of the Mini
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2012, 05:30:52 AM »
The big brown truck delivered my new Mazzer Mini. What a joy to work with a quality piece of equipment!! I'm working to fine tune the grind for my pour-over and drip brewing.  I've only done 4 or 5 grinds with it, but have found a big difference in the brew results at various grain sizes. The exciting part is knowing that when I find the sweet spot in particle size, my brew quality will be much more consistent than it was previously.

AJ