Author Topic: Chemex Sizes  (Read 3140 times)

craigbooker

Chemex Sizes
« on: November 27, 2012, 09:57:14 PM »
Looking to add a Chemex to my wish list. Currently I use an Aeropress for single cup brew, but would like the option for more. I have company over twice a month and the Aeropress is not suited for that many people.  Should I get a 6 or 10 cup Chemex? I would also like the flexibility to use it to make my daily coffee. I don't drink 10 cups a day of course.

ecc

Re: Chemex Sizes
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 09:14:18 AM »
I think the 6 cup is big enough for me, and fits into a cabinet pretty well.  The glass marker is at 24oz (6 * 4oz cups) but I can get 32 oz out which is all I go with a Kone filter anyway.  IMO, the paper filters are pretty much useless, taste like cardboard, and won't let you get an approx 3 minute pour time for any reasonable amount of coffee.

I would recommend getting one with the glass handle - not everyone has the handsome B|potholderMitten, the dexterity to use it safely, or the panache to pull it off in front of company!

craigbooker

Chemex Sizes
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 10:03:52 AM »
Sounds like I should get the ten cup and then a single ceramic for everyday use.

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2012, 01:26:15 PM »
What, Craig's moving almost as fast as you do, Susan.  ;)

I will usually pre-heat the Chemex and filter with hot water prior to the pour.  I don't like my coffee exceptionally hot, actually enjoy it as it cools and I haven't had a problem with serving temperature.

And you probably don't pollute the black nectar w/ a pint of 1/2 & 1/2 either...
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Tex

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2012, 01:32:27 PM »
What, Craig's moving almost as fast as you do, Susan.  ;)

I will usually pre-heat the Chemex and filter with hot water prior to the pour.  I don't like my coffee exceptionally hot, actually enjoy it as it cools and I haven't had a problem with serving temperature.

And you probably don't pollute the black nectar w/ a pint of 1/2 & 1/2 either...

Real men use goat cream - half & half is for wimps who can't make up their minds!

craigbooker

Chemex Sizes
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2012, 06:08:58 PM »
Who would do such a thing? Adding milk and sugar to perfectly good coffee. Why go to the trouble if you are going to cover up the wonderful coffee flavor?

Offline ScareYourPassenger

• Standard User
  • lever lover
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2012, 06:59:00 AM »
Sometimes there is nothing you can do about it. My wife has to have half and half because coffee is always too bitter for her. She is classified as a super taster and has more bitter taste receptors than the average person.

tyme

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2012, 03:44:07 PM »
I'm torn that if, I owned a shop, sugar or dairy would be readily available.  I would like to dream that the shop could ask customers to try enjoying the coffee without cream or sugar.  But if you have a paying customer and they enjoy dairy or sugar in there coffee, why fight it?  They know what they enjoy, let them enjoy it. Even if what they know is from buying lesser quality coffee at other shops.

If shops were really that pure Lattes wouldn't be offered either.

This is where a shop can offer better coffees by the cup via pour over or syphon.  For the most part people ordering those drinks will not ask for dairy or sugar, or at least be open to the suggestion to try it without.

Syrups though that's another discussion. 
Espresso bars could take a note from the movement in the bar tending trade. They could start offering small batch house made syrups and then charge accordingly.
Raspberry shrub latte?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 03:48:13 PM by tyme »

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2012, 04:53:11 PM »
let others drink your coffee as they wish... or you run the risk of being rude.. IMHO

my wife takes her coffee with milk or half n half if work is good.. but she will try my unmolested coffee at my invitation and appreciates or critiques the flavor of the roast and varietal..

I only ask that people taste the coffee black then doctor it... that way I don't judge just invite them to experience something new..

Offline staylor

• Standard User
  • Back in Canada and the espresso still tastes good.
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2012, 09:06:17 PM »
There's a difference between offering coffee to guests in your house and letting people do what they want to their coffee in a coffee shop.

When I owned my busy coffee shop I would watch people do all kinds of things with white sugar, brown sugar, honey, milk and half and half. After a while you have to stop caring about some of the nonsense or it will drive you mad. What kind of nonsense? How about the guy who comes in and orders a small coffee to go, then walks over to the garbage receptacle and pours out half the coffee, then proceeds to fill the cup back up with honey. But why care, right? Because it all costs the owner money. If you've never owned a coffee shop it's a game of pennies and I'll leave it at that.

At the farmers market this summer I was switching it around between Chemex/Kone 2 iced brews, then maybe the next week it would be Chemex/Kone 2 hot brews, sometimes I would decide to take the PVL instead of the Chemex combo. When I had the PVL there I would hang a sign on the machine and next to the machine that said I was making 6oz latte's with organic whole milk, a single item menu at a fixed size and price. I had a lady walk up in her brand new yoga outfit and while on her cell phone she spit out something like "Decaf soy latte extra hot" and then looked away to continue her phone call. Used to the big city scene I guess. I got on with doing other things, like selling coffee to customers and when she got off the phone I told her I didn't have any decaf. So she said ok, then I told her I didn't have any soy but I was using good organic milk, she said ok I'll take skim milk, I told her I only had whole milk, reluctantly she said "Ok, I'll take whatever you are making". I served her up a 6oz at my regular temperature, threw some latte art in that bad boy and smiled. I watched her take a sip and her eyes lit up. She came back with her friend and told her to get one.

As far as guests enjoying coffee at our house, we don't keep white death sugar in the house, so if they need to add sweetner they can use honey... but nobody has ever needed it and they are always keen to drink whatever I'm serving when they come by again.

craigbooker

Chemex Sizes
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2012, 11:00:31 PM »
Wow! I didn't realize this would cause such drama.  I guess I am just puzzled by those who would go to such great lengths to make exceptional coffee only to drown it in sugar/milk.

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2012, 08:56:43 AM »
Wow! I didn't realize this would cause such drama. . .
Drama?  I saw it as a good exchange. 
B|Java

I agree that it is a good exchange;  what fascinates me is that it is a microcosmic view of what happens between people all the way to the highest levels of government, religion and all aspects of our lives.  That a shot over ice could lead to the thread of violence sure makes it easier to understand how we end up with shots heard around the world.....

I listened to marvelous piece on NPR recently about conflict resolution.  The main thrust was using conflict and disagreements as a transforming vehicle to help me see new perspectives and think beyond right (I need to prove I'm right) and wrong (I need to prove you're wrong).

I'll never be right again.   ;D
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

jimec3

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2012, 09:13:13 AM »
Wow! I didn't realize this would cause such drama. . .
Drama?  I saw it as a good exchange. 
B|Java

I agree that it is a good exchange;  what fascinates me is that it is a microcosmic view of what happens between people all the way to the highest levels of government, religion and all aspects of our lives.  That a shot over ice could lead to the thread of violence sure makes it easier to understand how we end up with shots heard around the world.....

I listened to marvelous piece on NPR recently about conflict resolution.  The main thrust was using conflict and disagreements as a transforming vehicle to help me see new perspectives and think beyond right (I need to prove I'm right) and wrong (I need to prove you're wrong).

That rings of having an "abundancey mentality" ... I dig it

Offline staylor

• Standard User
  • Back in Canada and the espresso still tastes good.
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2012, 11:31:59 AM »

I think you are wrong. ;-)

Tex

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2012, 11:39:15 AM »
let others drink your coffee as they wish... or you run the risk of being rude.. IMHO

my wife takes her coffee with milk or half n half if work is good.. but she will try my unmolested coffee at my invitation and appreciates or critiques the flavor of the roast and varietal..

I only ask that people taste the coffee black then doctor it... that way I don't judge just invite them to experience something new..

Nothing wrong with rude as long as you're right. Now, when someone's rude & wrong it's very offensive. But then I just write it off to my in-laws being German, thus beyond their control. ;D