Author Topic: Grinder mod or upgrade?  (Read 800 times)

Offline Dmsweatt

• Standard User
  • Bunn ES-1A, Behmor 1600
Grinder mod or upgrade?
« on: December 06, 2012, 06:01:51 PM »
So I've had a kitchenaid proline grinder now for several years.  Already made it stepless.

I usually use a french press and the occasional drip. But I am thinking of putting together an entry level espresso setup in a year or so.

What are thoughts on modding the grinder with mazzer burrs?  I figure it would be $75-100 to convert/get new burrs.

Or would I be better off saving the money to upgrade to an entirely new grinder?

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
Re: Grinder mod or upgrade?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2012, 06:28:15 PM »
I don't know much about that grinder and it's mod ability but I'll put in a vote for keeping it for non espresso preps.

Get another grinder for espresso.

I've always thought that KA is a cool grinder for what it is.
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2012, 06:33:52 PM »
For espresso you will find a stepless grinder of value. A good brand new, inexpensive grinder would be the Cunill Tranquillo at $275:

http://sovranastore.com/esgrin.html

You could go for a Baratza, but you would need to get a higher priced model to be espresso grind capable and they would be substantially more than the Tranquillo.

You will find it extremely convenient to keep one grinder for drip, pour over and other methods of extraction and another for
espresso.

If that is too much you can keep your eyes peeled on a used commercial espresso grinder. They will not set you back too much unless you insist on getting a conical burr.

I hope this helps.

:)
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 06:37:06 PM by mp »
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Offline MMW

• Standard User
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2012, 08:19:21 AM »
I'd keep the KA as is...as a matter of fact, that is exactly what I did.  ;)
"During the early 19th century, most Americans subsisted on a diet of pork, whiskey, and coffee.  ----- Where did we go wrong?