Author Topic: Tody vs large cold drip  (Read 2356 times)

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
Re: Tody vs large cold drip
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2013, 09:57:05 AM »
When I first installed my RO it was down around 4-5ppm, but now it runs around 18ppm.

To Erik's question, about solids (minerals) in water, the only time I've seen that come up is with regard to espresso.  I doubt it would make much difference in cold-brewing methods.

Maybe I should do an experiment using both my RO water, and the conditioned water going into my Vivaldi...
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline az erik

• Standard User
  • Never enough time
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2013, 10:10:09 AM »
For my Vivaldi I have a Kinetico 4060s w/ 75 #'s of carbon block, filtering Chandler tap water, which constantly has high arsenic levels. My RO taps off this through 3 sediment filters -> membrain -> coconut post filter. I think the sweetness I get from the coconut post whatever helps 'flavor' whatever I drip or press at home. I guess I have a very fast and easy way to test between the two if I use hot water from the S1. But I'm pretty sure the S1's boiler adds a little brass flavor. so it would be a bit harder to tell, I could add a T pre Coconut or pre S1. The water filters at work are out of my control and always bad so it's not really a good test bed.
Home:
Huky500 & 15kBTU + Artisan
Vivaldi S1 V2
Compak K6 Pro / Doserless conversion
Office:
Areopress and Skerton keep me running

Tex

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2013, 10:21:51 AM »
When I first installed my RO it was down around 4-5ppm, but now it runs around 18ppm.

To Erik's question, about solids (minerals) in water, the only time I've seen that come up is with regard to espresso.  I doubt it would make much difference in cold-brewing methods.

Maybe I should do an experiment using both my RO water, and the conditioned water going into my Vivaldi...

Yeah, but who're you going to get to cup it to tell if there's a difference? :P

Offline az erik

• Standard User
  • Never enough time
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2013, 10:25:13 AM »
Hopefully someone who knows how and has a spoon:)  BTW how would one cup a cold brew? Though a straw?
Home:
Huky500 & 15kBTU + Artisan
Vivaldi S1 V2
Compak K6 Pro / Doserless conversion
Office:
Areopress and Skerton keep me running

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2013, 10:25:31 AM »
My filter setup for espresso has the carbon/sediment filter, plus a softening cartidge which leaves some minerals, and then goes to a pressure regulator on which I added a ball valve for drawing water to test the softness.  That way, the water hasn't gone through the Vivaldi's boiler.  Who knows if once-heated water get shifted in flavors, but I'd avoid that variable for this highly scientific experiment.  ;D
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Tex

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2013, 10:50:23 AM »
Peter pays close attention to the details.

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2013, 02:18:58 PM »
Exactly like testing brewed coffee TDS it depends precisely on what those S's are.

But as far as I know I'm the only one beating that point to death when it comes up on gold cup testing.

4, 11, 29, or 228 ppm of some things in water and would hardly know or care. Other things might turn your water to junk in a hurry.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 02:20:47 PM by John F »
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison