Author Topic: Home Pourover Bar  (Read 2421 times)

yakster

Home Pourover Bar
« on: January 28, 2013, 06:30:07 PM »
My wife's drinking decaf now.  It's thrown me for a bit of a loop, coffee production wise.  I've been brewing her decaf in a Clever and making a pot in the BraZen, but this seems to be an inefficient way to go.  I was thinking of building a little two station home pour-over bar with either V60 or maybe Kalita 155 filters in a stand situated next to each other so that I could pour both with one kettle.  Has anyone tried this?  Can you really work two pour-overs at the same time or am I crazy, the more I think about this, the less it makes sense.

Maybe I should just take my other Clever home from work and run with two of those, at least until the Bonavita porcelain brewer is out.

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
Re: Home Pourover Bar
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2013, 06:48:13 PM »
When I brew two cups I brew both into a ss pitcher with a #4 cone. But when my wife brews two cups (sometimes I let her brew me a second cup if I catch her about to make herself coffee) she uses two separate  #2 cones on top of cups.

So I'm sure you could do it that way seeing as how you need one decaf and one good cup.  ;)

"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

milowebailey

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2013, 07:02:33 PM »
Yakster, you can but you'll need one of these pitchers

BoldJava

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2013, 07:04:26 PM »
,,,  Has anyone tried this?  Can you really work two pour-overs at the same time or am I crazy, the more I think about this, the less it makes sense.

The young woman barista in Portland that both you and I had do a pourover was doing 2 at a time from one kettle.  Maybe you should have focused on the coffee budd.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2013, 07:15:43 PM by BoldJava »

milowebailey

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2013, 07:13:46 PM »
,,,  Has anyone tried this?  Can you really work two pour-overs at the same time or am I crazy, the more I think about this, the less it makes sense.

The young woman barista in Portland that both you and I had do a pourover was doing 2 at a time from one pitcher.  Maybe you should have focused on the coffee budd.
I couldn't get a photo due to Yakster hogging the "bar", but I do remember a dual pour at Coava.

Offline rasqual

• Standard User
  • Chaser of Midwest farmers' daughters
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2013, 09:12:17 PM »
I'd like to see PBTCs do pourovers with comparable flair and volume:

Buena Vista Cafe - How to make Irish Coffee

;D

BoldJava

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2013, 05:07:57 AM »
Yes, I had thought of that, but I don't have two matching pouring kettles.

She had one kettle.

SJM

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2013, 08:00:06 AM »
Wouldn't pulse pouring two set-ups at a time work just right?
And, didn't B/J's group last Friday hint that just maybe they liked the results of the pulse pour even better than the continous?
This might be the time to seize that and run with it....(or pour with it....)

Susan

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2013, 09:06:38 AM »
Pulse pour is preferred by Big Foot while pouring in a crop circle oriented with a point towards area 51.  ???

Temp issues aside if you delay Pouring a second too long grounds settle and future pulses stack "blank" water on top a compacting bed.

I call myth without some hard data.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 09:42:48 AM by John F »
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2013, 12:44:24 PM »

Temp issues aside if you delay Pouring a second too long grounds settle and future pulses stack "blank" water on top a compacting bed.

I call myth without some hard data.

People in the know  ;)  claim that the pulse pour owes its advantage to the fact that every pulse is of sufficient flow to disturb the bed, thereby providing superior agitation.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2013, 12:54:29 PM »
I don't buy it.

Video evidence should be easy to post if somebody is in the know on this.

What I see happen with delayed pouring is the grounds settle and compact causing water to stack on top.  Only controlled pouring can maintain a constant viscosity in coffee bed and subsequent standardized extraction rate for duration of the pour.

Lee Morrison

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2013, 12:57:01 PM »
You never see something pushing back up if your pour gets a little too vigorous?
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline MMW

• Standard User
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2013, 01:04:08 PM »
I don't buy it.

Video evidence should be easy to post if somebody is in the know on this.

What I see happen with delayed pouring is the grounds settle and compact causing water to stack on top.  Only controlled pouring can maintain a constant viscosity in coffee bed and subsequent standardized extraction rate for duration of the pour.

Perhaps.  Do those things necessarily result in a better cup?
"During the early 19th century, most Americans subsisted on a diet of pork, whiskey, and coffee.  ----- Where did we go wrong?

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2013, 01:07:11 PM »
Sure...I've played with it even.

But there is a point where the coffee bed is perfect and when you overpour you kill it and if you underpour settling sets in and the loft is gone.

Big agitation pouring is the best option left at that point but it's obviously watery slurry at that point.

Lee Morrison

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2013, 01:10:41 PM »
Quote from: MMW link=topic=15554.msg249034#msg249034 date=1359493448

Perhaps.  Do those things necessarily result in a better cup?
[/quote

1) yeah..
2) it depends right? Somebody might say dumping the whole shebang in a percolator and boil it makes a better cup.
3) but yeah.  ;D

Lee Morrison