Author Topic: Last gasps of my first roaster  (Read 4208 times)

Aromajunkie

Last gasps of my first roaster
« on: March 17, 2013, 11:38:55 AM »
After nearly 5 years and several hundred pounds of roasted coffee, my Poppery roaster gave up. The motor will only run at about half speed. It appears the brushes are worn out. This thing has been a workhorse. The brushes could probably be replaced, but they are not designed as such and it would be a challenge.

I've learned alot along the way.  I'll admit to being just a little sentimental when I took it apart and diagnosed the problem.

It is one of two that I alternate when roasting (one cools while the other roasts). I have a few backup units stashed in the garage, but they will need the mods to get up and running. I will probably do that since I've been looking at an Arduino based controller setup, and I think these will work well for small batches.

I've many times considered moving on to something bigger and with more control, but until now I've been satisfied. I did send a note to an acquaintance who has a Behmor sitting in his closet collecting dust. Hopefully a deal can be made there. I roast 2-3 lbs a week, so the volume is hot huge, but that is more than 2 hrs of my time. Something that would do 9 to 12 oz roasts would cut that time in half.

AJ

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
Re: Last gasps of my first roaster
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 11:43:45 AM »
SC/TO.  'nuff said.

I hate to start a roaster-recommendation war.  They're all good, and all have quirks.  Had I been roasting w/ a Gene or Behmor all these years, I'd be partial to that, instead of my trusty SC/TO.  But they are hard to beat, especially since you obviously like tinkering.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Aromajunkie

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2013, 12:06:18 PM »
I've given the SC/TO a good look. If this used Behmor deal doesn't pan out, that is on the short list.

Yes. I'm a tinkerer.  :) Even the Behmor would be modded. I'm definitely ready to take my attention to profiles to the next level.

Tex

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2013, 12:06:28 PM »
SC/TO - unless you don't like fussin' with stuff. It will do up to a pound at a time, with lots of profiling possibilities.

SJM

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2013, 12:43:18 PM »
Having had a popcorn popper/glass chimney gizmo, to an IR2, and then making and losing patience with an UFO/TO???

Behmor absolutely !!!!

I may well not feel that way when I know more than I know now, but I get better roasted coffee out of it than I was ever able to out of its predecessors.  And that's good.   I like it.

RobertL

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2013, 01:42:19 PM »
What is your price range?

BozemanEric

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2013, 08:09:24 PM »
If your Behmor deal falls through PM me. I have one sitting in my closet as well.

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2013, 08:59:33 PM »
If your Behmor deal falls through PM me. I have one sitting in my closet as well.

How come you`re not using yours?

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Aromajunkie

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2013, 04:38:30 AM »
What is your price range?

I have artisan dreams on a blue collar budget. A Hottop would be awesome, but a new one is too much of a stretch right now. I'm leaning toward a SC/TO setup for under $100.

Not sure yet what my friend would want for a lightly used Behmor.

Offline rgrosz78

• Standard User
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2013, 06:12:51 AM »
Yeah, me too - not sure mine is "lightly used" ... stopped using the Behmor when I got my Hottop.
Life is too short to drink bad wine (or bad coffee!)

BozemanEric

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2013, 06:17:02 AM »

I bought a Gene a little over six months ago.

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2013, 04:53:54 PM »

I bought a Gene a little over six months ago.

How does the Genie compare to the Behmor?

lp, 7-Ski

BozemanEric

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2013, 05:53:44 PM »
I love the fact that I get minimal smoke in my home. As for roasts, I think they are very comparable. Strangely I have found certain beans that I like the Behmor roast better but most I prefer the Gene. I have yet to get an Elida or a Colombia COE #1 out of the Gene that I liked as much as the Behmor. This might just be that I first roasted these beans in the Behmor when I fell in love with them. Possibly, I no longer have the wow factor.

The Behmor has sat since I got the Gene and I do not see myself upgrading until I move to a SF or Sona. The things I really like about the Gene are: very visible beans, temperature control, much easier clean up, much longer cord, and ability to vent. The ability to vent is what sold me and I love it. Keep in mind that I live in a climate that is not to conducive to opening windows six months out of the year.

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2013, 06:19:59 PM »
I love the fact that I get minimal smoke in my home. As for roasts, I think they are very comparable. Strangely I have found certain beans that I like the Behmor roast better but most I prefer the Gene. I have yet to get an Elida or a Colombia COE #1 out of the Gene that I liked as much as the Behmor. This might just be that I first roasted these beans in the Behmor when I fell in love with them. Possibly, I no longer have the wow factor.

The Behmor has sat since I got the Gene and I do not see myself upgrading until I move to a SF or Sona. The things I really like about the Gene are: very visible beans, temperature control, much easier clean up, much longer cord, and ability to vent. The ability to vent is what sold me and I love it. Keep in mind that I live in a climate that is not to conducive to opening windows six months out of the year.

How many roasts are on the Behmor vs the Genie?

lp, 7-Ski

BozemanEric

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2013, 06:30:31 PM »
Probably right around 100 to 120 each.  I have 88 logged on the Gene and 86 logged on the Behmor.  I do not log all my roasts.