Author Topic: Last gasps of my first roaster  (Read 4207 times)

Aromajunkie

Re: Last gasps of my first roaster
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2013, 07:22:31 PM »
Well, my line on the "lightly used" Behmore didn't pan out. I decided to go the SC/TO route. Thanks for the offer Eric, but after watching a few videos on the Behmor, I was not comfortable with the level of user control of the roast. I have a Galloping Gourmet TO on the way (Ebay find), and a local store has a sale on SC's. I'm a sucker for a project like this (my garage looks like the Island for Misfit Toys).

AJ

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2013, 07:54:00 PM »
Probably right around 100 to 120 each.  I have 88 logged on the Gene and 86 logged on the Behmor.  I do not log all my roasts.

So you have equal experience on either roaster.

You like the Genie because it is more controllable.

Correct?

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2013, 07:57:27 PM »
Probably right around 100 to 120 each.  I have 88 logged on the Gene and 86 logged on the Behmor.  I do not log all my roasts.

Correct?

Look at mp....   doing his best to start a roaster war.   ;D
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2013, 07:57:33 PM »
Well, my line on the "lightly used" Behmore didn't pan out. I decided to go the SC/TO route. Thanks for the offer Eric, but after watching a few videos on the Behmor, I was not comfortable with the level of user control of the roast. I have a Galloping Gourmet TO on the way (Ebay find), and a local store has a sale on SC's. I'm a sucker for a project like this (my garage looks like the Island for Misfit Toys).

AJ

That's great!

Glad to hear that you've chosen your next preferred method of roasting.

There are a lot of home roasters in this SC/TO club.

Enjoy!

lp, 7-Ski

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2013, 07:59:18 PM »

Correct?

Actually Peter ... just trying to get everyone's take on the different options they've tried. There are lots of weapons ... just wanted to know the difference between all the choices.

lp, 7-Ski

BozemanEric

« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2013, 08:08:59 PM »
The controllability is one of many factors I like better about the Gene. The biggest reason is the smoke venting. We are very health conscious and never liked the smoke in the house. The Behmor is a great unit though that I got some really good roasts out of.

BozemanEric

« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2013, 08:40:22 PM »
When I first got the Gene I thought that the roast were a little brighter and cleaner but it is hard to say because I went from exclusively roasting on the Behmor to exclusively roasting on the Gene.  I bought the Gene right when it started to get cold this past year so I have not used to Behmor since. I had every intention of doing some side-by-side roasts when the weather changes if I still have the Behmor at that time.

Tex

« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2013, 08:45:24 PM »

Correct?

Reminds me of my bleepin' nephew; the kid could engage on all sides of an argument. He didn't care who was right or wrong, who got hurt, nothing mattered as long as he was arguing - about anything!

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2013, 08:48:30 PM »

Correct?

Reminds me of my bleepin' nephew; the kid could engage on all sides of an argument. He didn't care who was right or wrong, who got hurt, nothing mattered as long as he was arguing - about anything!

Sheesh ... I was not arguing. I don't have any experience with either the Behmor or Genie to be able to argue the merits of either one.

Was merely acquiring information.

::)
lp, 7-Ski

Tex

« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2013, 08:58:27 PM »

Sheesh ... I was not arguing. I don't have any experience with either the Behmor or Genie to be able to argue the merits of either one.

Now you go on Mikey, argue all you want if it makes you happy. When we get tired of the yipping & yapping, we'll just draw straws to see who gets to take you out to the woodshed.

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2013, 09:06:03 PM »

Now you go on Mikey, argue all you want if it makes you happy. When we get tired of the yipping & yapping, we'll just draw straws to see who gets to take you out to the woodshed.

Is that where you roast with the Behmor?

???
lp, 7-Ski

Offline Mass. Wine Guy

• Standard User
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2013, 10:09:03 AM »
Five years sounds great for a Poppery. I just bought one off of eBay and plan to start roasting my own beans a.s.a.p.