Author Topic: Is there such a thing as a glass filter basket for drip?  (Read 1834 times)

Offline Coffeefreak

• Standard User
Is there such a thing as a glass filter basket for drip?
« on: April 12, 2013, 12:45:32 PM »
Making my morning 18 oz. of drip builds up an unpleasant rancid odor in the filter basket of my old Krups drip machine. When I used to make it in a manual Melita, the same result from its plastic basket was true. Yes, I periodically soak the plastic thing in a strong Baking Soda solution, but this is only partially effective. From what I have read in user evaluations, all of the ceramic cones have their problems as well. It would seem to me that a basket fashioned from strong glass such as Pyrex should do the job, and be washable without accumulating noxious residue. I would be happy to return to the extra labour of using a manual Melita if I could find such an accessory. Does it exist?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2013, 12:49:43 PM by peter »

ecc

Re: Is there such a thing as a glass filter basket for drip?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 12:51:45 PM »
Yup!

Hario v60

Kalita

to name a few.

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 12:52:41 PM »
I think it's less about the material of the basket, and more about what one cleans it with.

What sort of problems do you hear about w/ ceramic cones?

Is the smell affecting your coffee, or you just don't like that smell when you stick your nose in the basket?
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline Coffeefreak

• Standard User
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2013, 01:25:36 PM »
Sticking my nose near the basket is unpleasant, being that I am somewhat of a general cleanliness bug. Whether it is affecting the taste of the coffee is an open question, since I have no control (i.e. another batch of the same coffee being dripped at the same time) to compare it with. My Googling on methods to clean rancid coffee oils brought up some favouring Baking Soda and some using white vinegar. Posing the question to my brother who is a Microbiologist gave some more ambiguity. He said that Sodium Bicarbonate "absorbs" odours while Acetic Acid "covers up" odours with its own smell.

Have any of our colleagues in the group used the two glass filters that you posted? The complaints that I have read about the ceramic cones range from general poor quality control (many unglazed areas) to too large or too small holes for the coffee to drip through.

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2013, 01:41:57 PM »
The number of holes, or the holes being too large, is what determines your pour, so there's no right and no wrong.

I use a Kone, the stainless cone, and it never smells bad.  But it never gets used twice in a row w/o being rinsed/washed/rinsed again, and think any filter basket you chose would fare equally well with the same regimen, plastic, pyrex, ceramic, or stainless.

What's with the huge font?

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2013, 02:08:05 PM »
I bet it's inside the machine not the basket.

Run some cleaner in that krups and see if black goo doesn't come out of it.  :-\

Any manual pour over cone is super simple to make squeaky clean in seconds after brewing. 
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline Coffeefreak

• Standard User
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2013, 02:48:16 PM »
Sorry about the offending font. I am going to the eye doc this coming Monday, because at my present eye to monitor distance it is getting a little blurry and a new computer glasses prescription seems to be in order. I doubt if black goo could be in the Krups since all it does is heat the water and squirt it through the coffee grounds which are sitting below in the filter basket. But, I could be wrong. That has been known to happen to me. ;-)

I really miss the amount of control that I used to get manually heating the water, pre warming the filter and pouring it through in stages. Why did I become lazy to resort to a machine? I believe that I had guests one day that required more than the Melita's capacity and I was just too lazy to put it back on the shelf.
The stainless basket that you use sounds like it should be easily cleanable and as such would encourage one to wash it after each use, instead of occasionally as I have been doing with the plastic.

Thanks for all of the good feedback to my query.

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2013, 02:55:30 PM »
John, I think we've strategically placed some carrots down that pourover rabbit hole.   8)

Offline Coffeefreak

• Standard User
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2013, 03:00:33 PM »
As I may have stated in the past, part of me longs to join the multitude who are eminently satisfied with stirring a spoonful of "Instant" granules into a mug of luke warm water and proclaiming "And you'll never know the difference!" ;D

Offline dickcoffee

• Standard User
  • I'm givin' it away
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2013, 03:31:07 PM »
Get rid of that part. It'll do you no good.

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2013, 05:08:48 PM »
As I may have stated in the past, part of me longs to join the multitude who are eminently satisfied with stirring a spoonful of "Instant" granules into a mug of luke warm water and proclaiming "And you'll never know the difference!" ;D

Aka heavy smokers.
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline Coffeefreak

• Standard User
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2013, 05:15:42 PM »
I am getting a real cornucopia of information on this thread. Perhaps what someone told me long ago: "Clean the parts of your coffee making equipment every other year WHETHER THEY NEED IT OR NOT" could stand some updating.  :P

Thanks again to all

Offline Intrepid510

• Standard User
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2013, 10:14:55 PM »
Use this http://www.amazon.com/Cleancaf-Cleaner-Descaler-Espresso-Equipment/dp/B000FDDU8G/ref=pd_sbs_hpc_2

Will descale your machine and get those old oils out, which should solve your problem. Williams and Sonoma also carries it if you are impatient.