Author Topic: PID may be dead... and I need some guidance, please!  (Read 2217 times)

Offline dmankin

• Standard User
Re: PID may be dead... and I need some guidance, please!
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2013, 11:10:54 AM »
Damn damn damn damn... DAMN!   :'(

I was able to replace the thermocouple this afternoon - physically, it went just fine. The ferrule pieces and the thermocouple all mated up and sealed perfectly.  I powered up the machine and got a reading from the newly mounted TC.  The temp rose, and rose, and once the boiler pressurized, I could confirm a solid seal of the new pieces.  I have my PID set for 238F.  I approached, reached... and then surpassed the setpoint.  I powered it down after I saw 245F on the PID.

I've now replaced the SSR (a few times), the thermocouple, leaving only one component to replace.  <insert dramatic soap opera music>

THE PID itself!

Tex provided me a CAL 3200 for the initial installation a few years ago (used device, I believe).  It is a single-line readout unit, so there is currently an enclosure mounted to fit this size PID.

I've read plenty of banter on the forums regarding using super-cheap Chinese PIDs vs. Western makes.  I would rather not spend a ton of money for another PID.  Can anyone recommend a manufacturer or unit that would be a good replacement?

Also, is there much programming needed other than setting the TC type & Fahrenheit/Celsius?  I'm really going to be stepping into new territory doing this!

Thanks,

David

milowebailey

« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2013, 12:35:01 PM »
Two I'd recommend.....

« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 04:10:50 PM by Joe »

Offline dmankin

• Standard User
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2013, 10:16:03 AM »
Thanks milowebailey.  I do see quite a few CAL 3200 and 3300 PIDs on eBay.  I recall Tex telling me once that he like both of these models.  The 3300 is generally just a few bucks more the 3200.  Might anyone have an opinion of thinking more highly of one over the other?

Thanks,

David

Offline shakin_jake

• Standard User
  • one over the 8th
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2013, 01:35:38 AM »
here's your answer,

he's got his hand on it

you gotta be asking yourself, why oh why did I ever disconnect that trusty old Sirai P-Stat, why?

LOL

Best,

Jake
Reddick Fla.
He's got some of the basics down, but, in the end, that just has to create a bigger clusterfuck in that chinese fire drill of a cognitive thought he brought to the dog and pony show of his new found awareness
Dr. Z

Offline dmankin

• Standard User
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2013, 04:49:51 PM »
Jake!  How've you been?

When I converted the machine from pressurestat to PID control, I kept the p-stat <semi> attached, but disconnected.  One option I am considering is to simply hook it back up & going 'analog'.  I would then (hopefully) have a machine that clicks and clacks... and sports an expensive thermometer on the side!

The installation of a PID doesn't give me too much angst, as I have done it once already.  It's the PROGRAMMING of the device that intimidates the hell outa me!  I have another 'project machine' that I may install a PID on.  It will ultimately (I think) be a nicer one than my current ES-1A.

Cheers,

Dave
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 07:50:29 AM by dmankin »

Offline shakin_jake

• Standard User
  • one over the 8th
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2013, 01:29:24 AM »
All is well here David!  Sounds like a good plan...hooking back up the P-Stat, so you have an operable machine, until you re-program the thingamajig=:-)

Best,

Jake
Reddick Fla.
"Let those who don't want none have memories of not gettin' any."
—Bro. David Gardner

milowebailey

« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2013, 07:34:56 AM »
Re-programming the CAL would take 10 minutes... once you understand the settings and how to change them.  You would generally take your existing PID and write down the settings...  set the new one up to the same settings.  The manuals are intuitive and available online...

Offline dmankin

• Standard User
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2013, 11:55:42 AM »
SO... I am <relatively> back in my comfort zone.  My stock Sirai Pressurestat is still in place in the machine.  When I installed the PID system, I kept it there - just in case I ever ran into trouble with the whiz-bang digital thingamabob. 

It took a short amount of time and effort to disconnect the heating element wiring from the PID and re-route it through the Sirai. I now have the thermocouple strapped to the outside of the boiler, and the PID is giving me a constant read from the boiler's surface - not the water inside any longer.

I liked the PID system a lot.  By not using it for now, I have an opportunity to read & learn more about the devices and how to program one.  This espresso machine was dropped in transit to me <thanks, DHL  >:( > years ago, and the frame is a bit bent.  A while back, I picked up another ES-1A on eBay which appears to be <physically> in better shape.  I know that it needs a pump rebuild, so when time permits, I will pull the pump & send it off.  Once back, I can then test the machine completely, and if it proves a solid machine, I'll look to PID that one, and it should be "the keeper".

I've learned plenty by this dead PID issue.  Thanks to you all for your advice & comments.  When the rebuild of #2 begins, I'll likely need your collective expertise again!

David

SJM

« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2013, 12:01:31 PM »
I'm just curious, David, is BUG still functional?

Offline dmankin

• Standard User
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2013, 01:20:11 PM »
Susan,

Yes, BUG is still live at : http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/BUG-is-Bunn/info

I just noticed that the snip-url in my <now edited> signature didn't work any longer.  I'll fix it when I figger out how!

Hope all is well,

Dave