Author Topic: Pro sumer recommendations please?  (Read 3245 times)

Offline Dante

• Standard User
  • High on Caffeine
Pro sumer recommendations please?
« on: July 13, 2013, 07:45:39 AM »
Hello everyone. My La Cimbali M30 Classic got sick and could no longer be revived. No parts to be found anywhere. I needed a boiler part, and was looking for a full boiler, even a machine being sold for parts, but months of searching yielded nothing.

So, I have to accept sad reality and choose a passable replacement to my Classic. I was looking at the Alex Duetto 3.0 and the Viebemme Double Domobar v 3.5. I would usually research the choice to death, but I am really hard pressed for time these days - so I hope that there are folks on here who have bought a prosumer machine recently enough to have enough research time put in that they can share with me?

I would really appreciate recommendations based on actual experience with the machines, or on research done on these types of espresso machines. I'd love a GS3 or a Synesso, but I have to watch my budget.

Thanks so much friends!

Dante

No coffee, No workee!

milowebailey

Re: Pro sumer recommendations please?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2013, 08:16:59 AM »
Dante

Might I suggest a trip down lever lane?  Seems it might be time to visit Leverland!!

Offline pwest

• Standard User
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2013, 11:22:06 AM »
It's hard to imagine you could go wrong with any of the popular machines in that category.  Based mostly on price, I bought a Brewtus IV-R on a black Friday sale last year and am quite please.  I bet I'd be just about as pleased with the other DB machines that I was considering, too.  Some things that have worked out well:
  • I got the rotary pump, but did not plumb the machine in.  I have a nice, large, ceramic pitcher next to the machine that I just toss the feedline in.  It's easier to clean, fill, and monitor than an internal reservoir
  • The very large drip tray works well for me
  • The machine fits nicely under my cabinet and I can get cups on the warming tray
  • The new E61 group head is very easy/forgiving.  I'm sure some of my shots weren't the best, but I've never felt the need to pour one down the drain.

-Phil

Offline rgrosz78

• Standard User
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2013, 06:59:35 AM »
Dante

Might I suggest a trip down lever lane?  Seems it might be time to visit Leverland!!
[WRONG]
It appears the PVL does not handle milk steaming.
[/WRONG]
 Larry, any suggestions for other lever machines like the Brewtus that DO?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 07:49:44 PM by rgrosz78 »
Life is too short to drink bad wine (or bad coffee!)

BoldJava

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2013, 07:01:41 AM »
er lane?  Seems it might be time to visit Leverland!!

It appears the PVL does not handle milk steaming. Larry, any suggestions for lever machines like the Brewtus that DO?

Yes it does (as does the 1-group that JohnF has).  STaylor uses the two group.  Look for his UTubes from it.  The steam wand can be seen to the left.

milowebailey

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2013, 07:11:16 AM »
Dante

It appears the PVL does not handle milk steaming. Larry, any suggestions for other lever machines like the Brewtus that DO?
As B|never-uses-his-Cremina said, the Ponte Vecchio Lusso and Sama both steam well.  I had a Sama (now in the custody of Susan) and it steamed very well.  Also if you can find a Gaggia Achille (my cabin machine) it does a good job steaming too.

BoldJava

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2013, 07:17:29 AM »
As B|never-uses-his-Cremina said, the Ponte Vecchio Lusso and Sama both steam well.  I had a Sama (now in the custody of Susan) and it steamed very well.  Also if you can find a Gaggia Achille (my cabin machine) it does a good job steaming too.

Hey, hey, leftcoast man.  I have it set up but need to find the portafilters.  It is in one of the yettobeopened boxes, somewhere.  Then, it will make a grand re-entrance in our former 4th bedroom that Curly converted to our kitchen-adjoining "Cafe" room.

milowebailey

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2013, 07:20:04 AM »

Hey, hey, leftcoast man.  I have it set up but need to find the portafilters.  It is in one of the yettobeopened boxes, somewhere.  Then, it will make a grand re-entrance in our former 4th bedroom that Curly converted to our kitchen-adjoining "Cafe" room.

Yea, yea, yea...... should have been the 2nd thing unpacked (first the grinder).....  have you ever used it?  ;D ;D ;D  it's sure a pretty thang....

BoldJava

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2013, 07:49:09 AM »
Yea, yea, yea...... should have been the 2nd thing unpacked (first the grinder).....  have you ever used it?  ;D ;D ;D  it's sure a pretty thang....

You had to have been here to better understand my   our priorities...
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 07:50:52 AM by BoldJava »

milowebailey

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2013, 08:05:18 AM »

Fair enough..... happy wife..... happy life!

Offline rgrosz78

• Standard User
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2013, 08:57:56 AM »
Copy that! The last two times we moved, my wife cleverly arranged a business trip so she would be out of town. I was forced to unpack most of the stuff.

SJM

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2013, 09:06:11 AM »
The SAMA steams b e a u t i f u l l y ! ! !

Offline rarebear

• Standard User
  • Rex Coffee Roaster
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2013, 07:16:26 PM »
At coffee geek there is a used Alex Duetto II for $1750
http://coffeegeek.com/forums/members/buysell/636734
Profitec Pro 700 - Mazzer Robur - North TJ-067 Roaster

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2013, 07:44:57 PM »
I missed it earlier so it's a late reply but whoever said the PVL doesn't steam well is uhmm...

Well, that situation is most assuredly a user error issue.  :-\

"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline rgrosz78

• Standard User
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2013, 07:50:28 PM »
YES - user error ... I was misinformed