Author Topic: Red Rooster Camano Coffee Mill (Hand Grinder)  (Read 1265 times)

1981er

Red Rooster Camano Coffee Mill (Hand Grinder)
« on: October 15, 2013, 03:30:47 PM »
Seeing the thread about the Comandante hand grinder got me thinking about a hand grinder I've been using for the past few days - the Red Rooster Camano Coffee Mill http://www.redroostertradingcompany.com/products-page/coffee-grinders/camano-coffee-mill/

I bought this 3-4 years ago but didn't use it much for espresso - just travel and french press grind.  My normal grinder just broke down so I tried this out on the finest setting and was surprised to be able to choke my machine with a light tamp.  At $60-70 I think it's worth a look when comparing against hand grinders 2x the price.

Didn't find anything in the search tool so I don't think it's been discussed here... 

1981er

Re: Red Rooster Camano Coffee Mill (Hand Grinder)
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 03:57:50 PM »
I've heard about the Camano grinder before.  Are the step sizes small enough to be able to dial in an espresso so that you can get the right flow, neither choked nor a gusher?

I haven't pulled a perfect shot yet, but have come close.  I've been in a rush the past few mornings though and have pulled less than 10 shots using the 3 finest settings, but I think it's possible. 

Here's some coffeegeek reviews:  http://coffeegeek.com/reviews/grinders/camanocoffeemill/jcroft01

Offline sonnyhad

• Standard User
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2013, 10:16:12 PM »
It looks like pretty much the same grinder mechanisms the chinese are now using on what they call the classic grinder. I also have an old grinder that looks kind of like it as well, but the wood box under it with a drawer, and its not bad either.

1981er

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2013, 12:28:40 PM »
They use cast burrs rather than machined, which will give a different grind quality vs machined sharp burrs.  I'm able to get a nice double at 18g dose/ 25-30 sec shot but I just moved and am currently drinking a somewhat random coffee for espresso (FourBarrel Guat) which I haven't pulled using a different grinder.  I plan to do a comparison between a coffee I'm more familiar with in taste (Intelli black Cat) and see how it compares.  I think the deciding factor on this grinder for some would not be grind consistency but taste quality vs something like the Lido, etc.