Author Topic: Roaster advice please - upgrading from hottop  (Read 3082 times)

charlesaf3

Re: Roaster advice please - upgrading from hottop
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2013, 09:38:00 AM »
If you are in VA, why not drive up to Baltimore and get the Toper I just posted in the Craigslist finds?

Might well do that - just not sure what the current feeling is on Topper vs. Ambex?  Read some complaints about Topper a while back, not sure what current thinking is.  I posted under your announcement, but probably should have posted here.

So Topper v. Ambex?

sgreen

« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2013, 10:02:34 AM »
No first hand experience with either, but at the risk of starting a internecine war, I strongly suspect there isn't a spits worth of difference.

You are going to have to learn the whims and vagaries of anything you use. In time you'll figure out what works for you.

For perspective, consider that guys still use 100 year old Royal roasters and get pretty good coffee.

Before I decided to go with North, I had considered building my own drum roaster from scratch. Many people have done so. 2 bearings, an axle, drum, and heat source. Honestly, I have built more complex go-carts.

Once I got a handle on the mechanics, I thought the North machines were a heck of a good value -again, YMMV.

20 years? 1kg will bring you down to 24 roasts per year. At that rate, with reasonable care and maintenance, it's highly likely that any reasonably well built drum roaster will last double that.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 10:19:45 AM by sgreen »

jspain

« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2013, 10:51:39 AM »
Here are a few Sonofresco's here on GCBC.

I'm loving my 1.4 lb'er.  Gives me a roasted batch of 550g and roasts dark no problem.

http://www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com/index.php?topic=16695.0

User sgreen may have one or two for you.  I have also seen a few used ones circulating the internet.

Sonofresco looks very interesting.  I'm worried a) I might outgrow it again, would like to buy a 20 year roaster, b) That I will find I prefer a drum roast flavor profile, and c) that it might require a fair degree of maintenance, from what some have posted.

As always, please tell me if I'm wrong/missing something.

I've roasted on a 2# Sono and 1# Sono and have put a ton of greens through these machines. I believe they are the best bang for the buck on the market!! You are correct in saying it's an "air fluid bed roaster." However I've found the quality of the roast is great. Now, if you like to tinker, extensively mod your roast profiles, and must have a drum then don't grab a Sono.

As far as out growing the Sono you won't unless you're opening up a cafe' or wholesale business. Even the 1#er can roast a bunch of greens in a few hours..... Good luck with your roaster hunting!

Burner0000

« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2013, 01:51:47 PM »
Here are a few Sonofresco's here on GCBC.

I'm loving my 1.4 lb'er.  Gives me a roasted batch of 550g and roasts dark no problem.

User sgreen may have one or two for you.  I have also seen a few used ones circulating the internet.

Sonofresco looks very interesting.  I'm worried a) I might outgrow it again, would like to buy a 20 year roaster, b) That I will find I prefer a drum roast flavor profile, and c) that it might require a fair degree of maintenance, from what some have posted.

As always, please tell me if I'm wrong/missing something.

Fair enough. :)  I bought the sono to purposefully roast a lot to keep my stock fresh.  Maintenance I think is a bit more than a traditional drum roaster but Sonofresco doesn;t lie. cleaning between roasts only takes a few seconds.  bigger annual maintenance will come with any roaster.

Burner0000

« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2013, 01:56:45 PM »
Honestly if your looking for custom roasting even thou Sono is working on something I'd tell you to lean toward a commercial drum roaster.  For your budget take a look at North Coffee roasters based in Japan.  There's an HB thread going on right now that's saying good things about them  They have 1 kg in the $2500-$3000 range and 2-3 kg in the $4000+ range. :)  The catch.. They don't come with warrenty's

Offline ScareYourPassenger

• Standard User
  • lever lover
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2013, 05:39:30 PM »
Looks like my sono will be for sale soon. Ambex here I come!

ecc

« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2013, 09:45:45 AM »
I think sometimes people place too much of a premium on batch size.  The large commercial roasters are awesome, but there are quite a few trade offs for the luxury of running fewer batches.  I don't mind spending time roasting, and would  rather save time on the cleanup and setup parts.

Larger roasters take much longer to heat up, and it is hard on them to do just one or two batches and then cool back down.  On my tiny Quest, I run 3-6lbs a week mostly roasting every 3 days or so, a dozen batches at a time.   It suits me much better to have a dozen different small fresh roasts than a single roasted kilo.  The drums like multiple batches, the Quest takes a pre-warmup and two or three batches to really come up to temp.

The convenience of roasting on a large roaster can take a hit when you consider how much different your roasting environment will likely be.  A small electric home roaster can be used relatively safely indoors, with some makeshift venting.  Plug it in, and go.  Put it away when it cools off. 

A commercial roaster installation using natural gas is quite the experience, often requiring pressure adjustments on your home service, double wall permanent ducting, etc.   Propane tanks over 1lb cannot be legally stored or used inside a residence, and depending upon where you live propane isn't quite as accessible outside when it gets damn cold.  Installing a commercial roaster inside your house is also going to be problematic for your homeowners insurance. (if you hold a mortgage, your bank isn't going to be up for this) Keeping it quiet could expose you to a large amount of financial risk.   

The smoke and fire safety issues are batch size exponential.  In my neighborhood, I would likely have to run an afterburner if I went too much over a pound.  Roasting big batches doesn't encourage experimentation,  pooching a roast with a new profile is bummer times batch size.  If you ever wanted to roast a coffee three different ways to see which one was better,  tiny batches rock.  Roasting smaller than rated batches can be tricky on the big drums.

If anyone is still reading, I will wrap this up by saying that you might want to look at a commercial roaster like a 240v 3 group commercial espresso machine.  Sure, it is worth the hassle and counter space if you are going to leave it on 24x7, and might need to pull 30-50 shots an hour from it.   For home use most people would find the machine less convenient and more costly per shot than a nice prosumer unit.  And you can use the extra money you saved on a better grinder!

Burner0000

« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2013, 09:46:02 PM »
Good analogy ecc. I'd look into a 1kg electric drum roaster. Or the artisan V roaster. They are more versatile when it comes to batch size. I do agree tho that the sonofresco is the best bang for your buck right now. The artisan V second. To be honest once you get to know the soon it's pretty easy to maintain. It was also very easy to install my sonofresco inside. I like the small footprint. Not bad for a roaster that can spit out 1100g in about 40 min.  :)

Burner0000

« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2013, 12:49:20 PM »
Found this one here on GCBC.  SS 1 lb model $1700

sgreen

« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2013, 01:03:03 PM »
FYI: We ordered an electric TJ-067 for testing.

It should be here in a month or so.

That stainless Sonofresco sounded like a nice roaster. Home use only w/ spare parts? I almost bought it myself on gp.