Author Topic: First impressions  (Read 4724 times)

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
Re: First impressions
« Reply #45 on: December 28, 2013, 09:32:21 AM »
I have a quart mason jar full of old beans that I will use to start the dialing in process....
I may be grinding all night....:-))

You probably know this, but dialing in w/ old beans won't help you very much.  You'll get in the ball park, but as usual, you'll still be out in left field.   ;)
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

SJM

« Reply #46 on: December 28, 2013, 10:00:49 AM »
I have a quart mason jar full of old beans that I will use to start the dialing in process....

You probably know this, but dialing in w/ old beans won't help you very much.  You'll get in the ball park, but as usual, you'll still be out in left field.   ;)

I'll work my way in from left field with fresh beans, but I figured the old ones were worth saving just for the entry to the park fee....

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #47 on: December 28, 2013, 11:22:52 AM »

I'll work my way in from left field with fresh beans, but I figured the old ones were worth saving just for the entry to the park fee....

I've heard other K10 users say, and it holds true for mine, that each of the little hash marks on the top collar are good for 5sec. in pour-time.  So when I'm doing multiple shots of the same coffee that I may have not used for a week and it pulls a 30sec. double, it's a snatch to slow it down to 35 or 40sec.

SJM

« Reply #48 on: December 28, 2013, 12:30:55 PM »
Interesting. 
I don't usually let my shots go longer than 25 seconds...
Dang I wish that postperson would hurry up....

Offline sosha

• Standard User
« Reply #49 on: December 28, 2013, 01:19:28 PM »
Holy crap!   You got a K10?   Way to go!

So, can someone explain to me why the 68mm conical burr on the K10 is preferred to the 83mm flat burr the K8?

(note: my autocorrect made that "conical butt" and "flat butt".   ;D ;D)
LMWDP #440

SJM

« Reply #50 on: December 28, 2013, 01:40:29 PM »
Having used an loved my Compak for a few years now, if you're not in a hurry and have the money to spend on a new Forte, I'd forgo the convenience of the Forte and wait for a good deal on the K10.

It's Peter's fault....

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #51 on: December 28, 2013, 02:56:50 PM »
Having used an loved my Compak for a few years now, if you're not in a hurry and have the money to spend on a new Forte, I'd forgo the convenience of the Forte and wait for a good deal on the K10.

It's Peter's fault....

No, no, no.  You stepped too close to the edge.  It's not my fault you were so easy to push over it.

So, can someone explain to me why the 68mm conical burr on the K10 is preferred to the 83mm flat burr the K8?

It may be one of those online things, where if you repeat it long enough and loud enough people believe it to be true.  Then, they can't admit that they spent too much and of course, the shots taste better.

Or, and I'm only thinking out loud - the shape of the burr is more relevant than the diameter; perhaps the conical cuts the particles differently than the flat burr; perhaps there is more cutting area on the conical as the cutting area is more vertical.  All guesses.  But please, start repeating them online as though some guru has said it...  it'll be 'true' by this time next year.   ;D
« Last Edit: December 28, 2013, 03:02:13 PM by peter »

SJM

« Reply #52 on: December 28, 2013, 03:11:20 PM »
Peter, you did not tell me that this thing was going to be bigger that the dogs...

And the worst packing job I have ever ever ever seen....

More when I can pick it up and move it off the front porch.....:-)))))

Offline peter

• Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #53 on: December 28, 2013, 05:05:02 PM »
Yes, I was waiting for you to see it in all it's glory...  I ordered my grinder straight from Compak and they were willing to swap out the bean hopper for the hopper on the Mini.  It's not proportionate to the grinder as a whole, but keeps it from outflanking my fridge.