Author Topic: GINO Glass Dripper for Pourovers  (Read 3268 times)

BoldJava

GINO Glass Dripper for Pourovers
« on: April 18, 2014, 05:10:34 AM »
Nosing around on NotNeutral cups this morning (take a look at them; gorgeous).  Found this glass dripper that calls me but I am not going to answer the phone.  Anyone have one or played with one?  http://www.notneutral.com/index.php/coffee-cups/gino-glass-dripper.html

• Three holes
  • Borosilicate
  • Double wall
  • Handle-less

If I didn't have 57 ways to make pourover, I would be all over this one.

Offline headchange4u

• Standard User
  • Roaster: 4# RK Drum
Re: GINO Glass Dripper for Pourovers
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2014, 06:15:41 AM »
When you are that far down the hole, what's 58 (said the fellow equipment hoarder)?

jbviau

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2014, 10:42:18 AM »
I've been seeing dribs and drabs about this on Twitter. Looks nice.

Tangent: why notNeutral (seemingly) gets a free pass on this but Tiamo gets slammed for imitating Kalita is something I don't quite understand...

BoldJava

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2014, 10:45:59 AM »

Tangent: why notNeutral (seemingly) gets a free pass on this but Tiamo gets slammed for imitating Kalita is something I don't quite understand...

That whole bunch of gritching is overdone.  I mean how can anyone NOT expect to see similar/mirror images on a pourover design and set-up that has been out there for 60 - 70 years on the old Melitta porcelain.

EricBNC

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2014, 12:30:08 PM »
The Tiamo really falls down in the "not being named Kalita" department. Because of this I brew each cup steeped in a complex of inferiority...

Offline Intrepid510

• Standard User
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2014, 03:35:30 PM »
I have been tempted by this one for a long time, but i gave up on kalittas. Those damn filters are the most annoying pieces of @#?! unless they are fresh from the package and i had kept mine zip locked and in a jar to try and keep shape. So never again until i get this of course.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

jbviau

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2014, 04:35:42 PM »
Yeah, I didn't mean for my previous comment to be taken as a dig against Tiamo et al.; just think the discrepancy is interesting.

Nick, do you use the Aeropress funnel to rinse the filters without messing up the waves?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 04:46:46 PM by jbviau »

Offline Intrepid510

• Standard User
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2014, 04:48:48 PM »
They still flatten for me even with the funnel. Never had collapase on my with it tho :))

In the end I didnt find it better than my v60 brew which are easier.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2014, 04:52:54 PM »
Thanks...... :P
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

BoldJava

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2014, 04:53:59 PM »
Thanks...... :P

I would suggest some primary research on your part, JF.  Don't back away so easily.

jano

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2014, 04:55:10 PM »
((snip)) i gave up on kalittas. Those damn filters are the most annoying pieces of @#?!

^^^ this.  Without the "unless".  There is no unless.  The filters are a horrible, terrible, poorly designed system intended to aggravate specifically me.

Later, I learned, collapsing filter waves are "okay", and whether they remain perfect shape or not, will probably and most likely not impact the results, and therefore, maybe these filters aren't so badly designed.  But then, that's like pulling out a fork from a pancake restaurant's dishwasher with a piece of rice still stuck on it.

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2014, 06:21:15 PM »
My main objection to the Kalita filters is the price they fetch, and their scarcity.  I make my own 155 sized filters by forming a Melita 4-6 cup basket filter over an Aeropress funnel, but I use the larger Kalita 185 filters, at least until I run out.  The Gino uses the 185 size, I see which has better availability

Any ideas if the 185 size could be pressed out of any Melita option?
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2014, 08:31:37 PM »
Kind of interesting cuz the thing is sitting on a mug.

I assumed it was a much smaller filter.

Lee Morrison

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2014, 09:00:20 PM »
Well... I'll tell ya for sure next week.

Lee Morrison

Offline Intrepid510

• Standard User
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2014, 10:17:58 PM »
Well... I'll tell ya for sure next week.

Now that's what I like to hear! Looking forward to you using it!