Author Topic: GINO Glass Dripper for Pourovers  (Read 3269 times)

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
Re: GINO Glass Dripper for Pourovers
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2014, 03:14:28 PM »
Another look at the size and design.

It's pretty cool looking I must say. The fluting on the filters is fairly stiff and the holes are placed only in the "flat" of the filter/dripper.

First impression is Hmmmmm.... very interesting!

"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

BoldJava

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2014, 03:15:28 PM »
Knew you would go for 1st-hand experience.  Gotta' love a pourover guy at heart.

Looking forward to 1st impressions.

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2014, 03:18:21 PM »
Knew you would go for 1st-hand experience.  Gotta' love a pourover guy at heart.

You gave me little option by posting it.  ;)
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2014, 09:07:33 AM »
Here are the first things I want to say about this device..

Before I started pouring I realized a potential fatal flaw in this design. The fluting is huge on this filter and if water gets past the filter it could find paths that avoid coffee contact and just put water into your cup diluting your brew.

So I watched closely on my first pour and was happy to learn two things. 1) no water passed the filter into the flute/glass bypass area at all. I'm immediately curious if using substitute filters would work or not on this aspect. 2) the coffee is as close to a puck as in espresso as any pourover method I've ever seen.

There is very little out there to read on this dripper at this point (that I saw anyway) but this "puck" or vertical stack will be of great interest to pourover freaks (mark my words on this). You are basically pouring into your coffee bed and it is being forced into a puck of sorts and all your water must pass this vertical bed.

I should not say more until I test with some super fresh coffee to see how a more robust bloom behaves but I'm very very curious to do more testing.

I do hope to get a pile of cups made before I break it. :-\

More results to follow...this one looks legit.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 09:57:16 AM by John F »

Lee Morrison

JW

« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2014, 10:44:55 AM »
I really like this pour over method and was first introduced to it with this traveling road show.
http://www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com/index.php?topic=13531.msg214702#msg214702

It was shortly after this that I bought a Tiamo ceramic 185 dripper. I only had problems with the flutes collapsing when I was using a flow restrictor in a Hario kettle as it didn't allow a fast pour. I also pour dead center down the middle when washing the filter. I also keep the filters in a container so they don't flatten out. Nick Cho did a great video on Kalita style pour overs and pour over extractions in general. 

Kalita Wave Coffee Brewing : Intensive on Vimeo

I've been tossing around getting either metal Kalita or the Gino because the ceramic one probably draws too much heat from the extraction. Although the flutes keep most of the coffee away from the sides, I still feel like I may be losing too much heat. When I wash the filter I fill up the dripper to try and preheat it, but I wonder about the effectiveness.

BoldJava

« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2014, 11:01:56 AM »
I really like this pour over method and was first introduced to it with this traveling road show.
http://www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com/index.php?topic=13531.msg214702#msg214702

It was shortly after this that I bought a Tiamo ceramic 185 dripper. ...

One of the takeaways from my pourover course yesterday at Dogwood - the trainer/educator prefers the Kalitta/Tiamos because a greater bed controls the brew better in her opinion. 

Second, the pourover stands have not caught on at shops because the 1' drop to cup/pot introduces too much cooling into the brewing process/final temp of the cup.  Most cafes are using  Hario/glass carafes.

She said the KONE has not caught on as most shops want greater clarity in the cup.  Many shops feel the KONE provides too many oils/too much viscosity for what they are trying to showcase.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 03:20:09 PM by BoldJava »

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2014, 11:26:19 AM »
I guess I've been living behind the times with my trusty old cones and have not been keeping up with these newer style drippers.

I've got some catching up to do I suppose....it's a rough life. 8)

Lee Morrison

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2014, 03:14:07 PM »
I also want to say I misunderstood what flat bottom means in the new drippers.

I had a mental image of Mr. Coffee basket style flat..this flat portion might be quarter or half dollar size.

Lee Morrison