Author Topic: Cleaning bean hopper for grinder  (Read 5827 times)

Abqbomb

Cleaning bean hopper for grinder
« on: January 27, 2016, 10:27:15 AM »
I've got an older burr grinder that hasn't been used in ages and I want to clean up and give to a family member to replace their whirly-blade "grinder.  The plastic bean hopper has a fair amount of coffee oil residue on it due to neglect and I'd like to clean that up before giving it to them.  Any recommendations on how to efficiently remove the gunk?  Other than that, the grinder is in great shape; new burrs, stepless conversion, etc.
Thanks in advance,
Chris

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
Re: Cleaning bean hopper for grinder
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2016, 11:05:52 AM »
I had purchased a well used La Cimbali grinder. Great grinder although it had seen a great deal of use and was under maintained. I took it apart piece by piece and cleaned as I went. There was a ton of stuff I was able to get off. Then once done I put some vegetable oil on it and re-assembled.

Quite an experience. I learned a lot.

Grinder is working well to this day.

If I can do it, I'm sure you certainly can. I did have help from the great members of this form.

:)
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Offline ptrmorton

• Standard User
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2016, 11:08:31 AM »
TSP (tri sodium phosphate - essentially Spic-N-Span) is used to prep walls for wall papering and dissolves coffee gunk well.  The only caution is it needs to be rinsed well as it will want to leave a residue. You find it at most home improvement and hardware stores.
AZ Peter

Proverbs 3:5-6

Abqbomb

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2016, 01:30:37 PM »
thanks for the replies!  I have a box of TSP in the cleaning cabinet from a whole bunch of painting I did a few years back.  Will give that a whirl.
Cheers,
Chris

jspain

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2016, 01:35:21 PM »
A couple other ideas would be citric acid solution or simple green....

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
  • splitting bags and having fun
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2016, 01:46:18 PM »
A couple other ideas would be citric acid solution or simple green....

Citric acid is food safe and is bought easily through Amazon bulk and has many many uses, especially for coffee cleaning i.e. boiler descale, dishwasher cleaning, Bonavita descaling, etc.. I personally would start there. Phosphoric Acid is another product that is also food safe and has multiple coffee equipment related uses.

I would avoid TSP in favor of these products personally.
[url=http://www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com/index.php?board=37

Offline NightFlight

• Standard User
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2016, 02:35:15 PM »
Simple green works great.

Abqbomb

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2016, 02:40:05 PM »
Ahhh! Great tips. Thank you.  I will save the tsp for the next paint job and give the other methods a try.

Chris

Offline Badam

• Standard User
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2016, 06:29:52 PM »
I just cleaned a similarly gunked up grinder hopper this past week. Urnex Cafiza, the same stuff you use for back flushing, works absolute miracles for coffee oil. I left it to soak for about 30 min in a big bowl of warm mixture along with a few other pieces I had to clean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ptrmorton

• Standard User
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2016, 06:38:12 PM »
FYI, the primary ingredient in Urnex Cafiza is TSP.  That's how I got started on it.  I like it and use it but rinse super well.  Choices.
AZ Peter

Offline Badam

• Standard User
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2016, 06:53:21 AM »
FYI, the primary ingredient in Urnex Cafiza is TSP.  That's how I got started on it.  I like it and use it but rinse super well.  Choices.

I don't know that the TSP sold to prep walls for painting is anywhere near the purity of Cafiza that is marketed and certified for espresso machines, but that might not matter to some. In any case, it works well! :D

Offline NightFlight

• Standard User
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2016, 07:06:36 AM »
Cafiza is for metal, do not use on plastic things. You might get by with 'wiping on' with a rag and rinsing but for a hopper with coffee oils; a simple green soak will be just fine.

Offline Joe

• Retired Old Goats
  • splitting bags and having fun
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2016, 09:35:00 AM »
Cafiza is for metal, do not use on plastic things. You might get by with 'wiping on' with a rag and rinsing but for a hopper with coffee oils; a simple green soak will be just fine.

Citric Acid FTW. Simple green smell makes me nauseous and that smell doesn't go away. It does work good though, it removes a lot of stuff that gets spilled on the car carpet and seat belts for instance.
[url=http://www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com/index.php?board=37

Offline expy98

• Standard User
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2016, 11:10:41 AM »
just don't soak chrome in TSP nor citric acid, unless you want to remove the chrome.

for plastic parts, dishwashing detergent should suffice.

Offline ptrmorton

• Standard User
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2016, 11:36:16 AM »
Simple green smell makes me nauseous and that smell doesn't go away.

I have the same response to SG.   I think it is the solvent  2-Butoxyethanol  found in SG which has a very characteristic smell and is often found in  grease cutting cleaning products.
AZ Peter