Author Topic: Arc S  (Read 1557 times)

Offline Marrahm

• Standard User
Arc S
« on: April 17, 2021, 05:33:43 AM »
I’m looking to step up to a proper NG powered sample roaster for home use.  Anyone have any insights into the Arc-S? https://showroomcoffee.com/product/arc-s-sample-roaster/

I suspect its made by HB based on some other pictures I’ve seen.  But it haven’t found any decent reviews of the unit. 

200g is a bit on the small side, but being able to do more roasts will help me practice and let me try blending as well without having to give away 5#s of beans a week to the neighbors.

Thanks,
Mike

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
Re: Arc S
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2021, 09:00:08 AM »
This is my first exposure to the Arc S, so no input, sorry.

My thinking is for that price you could find a decent 1lb or 1K NG roaster; enjoy the capacity one day, and the ability to do smaller 200g batches the next.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline Marrahm

• Standard User
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2021, 10:25:44 AM »
My first choice is the Cormorant, but its a solid year wait at this point, so I’m looking at options.

I haven’t found anything else with a real 200-500g capacity w/in $1k of this one other than a Huky and similar machines like Kaldis.  While those are really nice machines, I’d prefer something a little more complete (proper fan control, ventilation, drum speed control, etc.) as well as NG v. propane.

I do think the Arc S/HB-M2 is pretty pricy for the capacity, but hoping I can work a deal if I go that route since they don’t seem to be in high demand.

Thanks,
Mike

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2021, 10:41:03 AM »
Yeah, I hadn't looked at roaster prices in a while.  Yikes!!!  The brand I would go with if I was in the market is $7300 for a 1K and $13000 for a 3K.   :P
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline brianmch

• Distributor
  • Huky 500 J/ Artisan
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2021, 09:21:05 AM »
My first choice is the Cormorant, but its a solid year wait at this point, so I’m looking at options.

I haven’t found anything else with a real 200-500g capacity w/in $1k of this one other than a Huky and similar machines like Kaldis.  While those are really nice machines, I’d prefer something a little more complete (proper fan control, ventilation, drum speed control, etc.) as well as NG v. propane.

I do think the Arc S/HB-M2 is pretty pricy for the capacity, but hoping I can work a deal if I go that route since they don’t seem to be in high demand.

Thanks,
Mike

As a Huky user I can say that it's not not state of the art, particularly its stock workflow/cooling but another cooling fan is an easy add to the base purchase.  Fan control is a pretty easy $15 fix as is Artisan integration.  I can easily roast between 100g and 454g.

There are several new NG roasters that are fully integrated solutions (cyclone, cooling tray with sweeper arms, etc) in that loose price range: Buckeye, Mill City, and probably a couple more I can't remember. 

An ezpz solution is the Bullet. Electric but its heat system is reportedly as responsive as NG/LPG. Some of my friends love theirs.  That's probably my next step up from the Huky unless I can get a used sweeper arm unit for similar money.