Author Topic: Behmor 1600 Profiles / Q&A / Tips & Tricks  (Read 93624 times)

Coffeeaddictnova

Re: Behmor 1600 - Q's and A's, Roasting Tips and Suggestions
« Reply #330 on: November 16, 2010, 06:14:20 PM »
I made the modification and can now EASILY roast a full pound to a good rolling second crack on P1 at 18 min 15 sec. 

Clearing dust from the vent area is not a modification, is it? I wonder what the mod was that tj was talking about.

To get these instructions you need to promise you won't share them. If you describe the problem your having to support and it matches this, they'll email you instructions. I did the mod to mine and I just hit the beginnings of first at 14 minutes with 12 ounces of beans on P1. Ira

Good evening! When calling (or is it better e-mailing??) Behmor's technical support regarding the above-mentioned modification, how should I refer to this modification (e.g., Behmor unofficial but approved modification)? Just trying to make sure I will receive the right instructions for the "secret" modification everyone is so happy about.

Thanks!

Javier

Offline Ringo

• Standard User
Re: Behmor 1600 Profiles / Q&A / Tips & Tricks
« Reply #331 on: November 17, 2010, 04:19:51 AM »
Just tell him you can not roast 3/4 pounds to FC.  He will make you do a couple of test and then with a warning give you the mod.  I do not know what it does but it helps.  Behmor service is great, you talk to the owner designer or the roaster.  Good luck!
If this is coffee, please bring me some tea; but if this is tea, please bring me some coffee.
Abraham Lincoln

johnlp

« Reply #332 on: November 19, 2010, 03:40:36 PM »
Use email. They will send instructions with pics.

Offline rgrosz78

• Standard User
« Reply #333 on: November 19, 2010, 07:07:29 PM »
I just started using the Behmor, and I had a hard time searching this thread to find profiles for specific green coffee beans I had purchased. I put the first 21 pages of this thread into a single PDF file, so I could search it easily. I did the same thing for the Behmor thread on the Coffee geek web site.

Since this thread rolled over to a new page, I updated the PDF on my website to include pages 1-22.
Life is too short to drink bad wine (or bad coffee!)

Offline rgrosz78

• Standard User
« Reply #334 on: August 26, 2012, 01:31:38 PM »
I probably mentioned this before, but it's handy to have a way to externally cool your coffee for larger batches ...
+1
Using an external bean cooler made a BIG jump in the quality of my Behmor roasts. if you have an external cooler, you can roast right up to  / into second crack, then stop the roast where you want to. If you rely on the Behmor's cooling cycle, the roast will continue for 1-2 minutes after you press COOL.

Benjammer18

« Reply #335 on: September 15, 2012, 01:56:17 AM »
I've had an issue with my Behmor since I got it with the seal of the front door. It seems to leak air, it's most noticeable when you hit cool because the fat speeds up, also if there's smoke or chaff some of it will come through. Making it not so pleasant to use indoors.  I don't think this is normal since it's marketed as being almost smoke free  / reducing smoke and for indoor roasting.
Also, I've only read one person on this forum saying they had an issue with the front door seal.

So, is this 'Normal'?

Offline Joe52

• Standard User
« Reply #336 on: September 15, 2012, 11:10:47 AM »
I would contact tech support !! You will find that they are the best.Best way is on their website is an e-mail for tech support !!!
Fear not,O land;be glad and rejoice:for the Lord will do great things. Joel 2:21

Offline rgrosz78

• Standard User
« Reply #337 on: September 15, 2012, 03:32:16 PM »
I would contact tech support !! You will find that they are the best.Best way is on their website is an e-mail for tech support !!!
+1
Sounds like the seal on the front door it is bad.

Benjammer18

« Reply #338 on: September 16, 2012, 01:03:57 PM »
Yeah, I tried contacting support they said it's normal, I'm over roasting and everyone has that.
But like I thought, not everyone has this issue.
Maybe the support isn't as great as it once used to be. I'll try contacting them again.

Benjammer18

« Reply #339 on: September 26, 2012, 12:04:31 AM »
Still no response from Behmor, and the store I purchased it from hasn't called or emailed me back either.
I spoke to one guy from the store I purchased it from briefly, he confused me with someone else then said he'd look into it. I'll call him back when I have time.
lol great service.

Offline paultflorida

• Standard User
« Reply #340 on: September 26, 2012, 04:05:10 AM »
I've had an issue with my Behmor since I got it with the seal of the front door. It seems to leak air, it's most noticeable when you hit cool because the fat speeds up, also if there's smoke or chaff some of it will come through. Making it not so pleasant to use indoors.  I don't think this is normal since it's marketed as being almost smoke free  / reducing smoke and for indoor roasting.
Also, I've only read one person on this forum saying they had an issue with the front door seal.

So, is this 'Normal'?

can you take a picture of the door and seal and post it.
does the door close shut or is something maybe keeping it open a crack?
can you list the  weight and profile/time used.
do you open the door during a roast?

I have only  SEEN a bit of smoke come  out once, at the end of roast(overroasted) when the fan comes on, never chaff, and if you over roast smoke will get out, the seal is ok but not airtight. Chaff does drop out when you pull out the tray or open the door.
I indoor roast only, but you do need IMO  to put it under a vent and not overroast indoors.
Relaxing with coffee, cigar or pipe in central florida

Benjammer18

« Reply #341 on: September 26, 2012, 06:46:32 PM »
I did take a picture, not sure if there's an slight indent or if thats normal, maybe it was damaged during shipping, as it was shipped to my place.
I don't think I can see any observable deformations in the door, or the seal.  It seems to close ok.

Chaff escaping seems to happen with any roast, I've only done 1/2lb, 8oz batches, it happens with some beans more than others due to having more chaff.
With lighter roasts there's less smoke of course, but still the air is leaking you can feel it more when you press cool and the fan speeds up.

I don't normally over roast my beans, i like them pretty light - medium. I usually err on the side of under roasting.

I do sometimes open the door during the roast, and of course then some chaff flies out, that's to be expected. I do roast under a vent but it's not so effective, especially if I did accidentally over roast.

Offline fore

• Standard User
« Reply #342 on: January 19, 2013, 04:00:33 PM »
Quick easy queastion?  Will a 36"W vent above stove enough to capture all the smoke during a roast with the behmor?  It's pretty strong on the high speed. 

jspain

« Reply #343 on: January 21, 2013, 04:39:05 PM »
If it vents outside you should get a large percentage of the smoke...... If it's a filter inside vent, forget it. IMHO

Offline paultflorida

• Standard User
« Reply #344 on: January 21, 2013, 04:57:02 PM »
MY microwave sits over the glass stove top and it is vented outside.  so i put the behmor on the stove and the smoke  ges sucked up  pretty good, aroma you get, and when the cooling fan kicks on sometimes a puff comes thru, as long as i dont pooch the roast, I have no smoke problems.
Relaxing with coffee, cigar or pipe in central florida