Author Topic: Behmor 1600 Profiles / Q&A / Tips & Tricks  (Read 93694 times)

Offline comptrguru

• Standard User
  • I thought I had a handle on life....then it broke.
Re: Behmor 1600 - Q's and A's, Roasting Tips and Suggestions
« Reply #90 on: December 20, 2007, 03:51:37 PM »
The issue is resolved for me already.  It seems "penny foolish" to spend even $10+shipping.  We know it will certainly be(h)mor.  Joe is a great guy, but I suspect he will have to charge much more.  For the few pennies of cost, it makes sense to toss the 'tinies' out.  For the differences in costs, I would just as soon buy more, quality greens.  My two cents worth.....

Phil

Offline Curtis

• Standard User
« Reply #91 on: December 20, 2007, 04:19:24 PM »
The issue is resolved for me already.  It seems "penny foolish" to spend even $10+shipping.  We know it will certainly be(h)mor.  Joe is a great guy, but I suspect he will have to charge much more.  For the few pennies of cost, it makes sense to toss the 'tinies' out.  For the differences in costs, I would just as soon buy more, quality greens.  My two cents worth.....

Phil

Resistance is futile.  You will be assimilated. :violent4:

Curtis

Marlyece

« Reply #92 on: December 20, 2007, 04:50:21 PM »
comptguru-

the smaller grid makes sense for peaberry size greens and other small beans and also helps to avoid potential fire so it does make sense for those who are roasting smaller size beans.

Offline comptrguru

• Standard User
« Reply #93 on: December 20, 2007, 07:56:20 PM »
Marlyce,

You seem to have missed my point completely.  By simply running the Behmor in cool mode, you reduce or actually eliminate 'bean drop' just as effectively (or more so) than using the new drum will.  It makes more sense to me to simply pitch the few beans that fall through the current grid.   The Harar is by far the worst drop that I have experienced.  I ran 5 full pounds of Harar through now.  It confirms what I said earlier.  The total drop was about 0.6%.  I have tried 5 other DP's and 2 peaberries.  The drop is even less.  At say, $6/lb., the total bean drop for 5# of Harar greens would cost 18 CENTS!!  It would take a long, long time to make up even a total of $20 for a new basket.  In fact that would be over 100# of JUST the Harar, remembering that coffee is the most 'wasteful'.  One last ditty.  The openings in the 'new' baskets will only be 10% smaller than the current.   Joe B. saz it's small enough to solve the issue.  Looking at the dropped material from the Harar, I think there might be significant drop (well, a few 1/10's of a %) with some of the DP Ethiopians, anyway.  A number of the 'drops' were broken beans.  The new basket simply won't catch these.  I'll take my chances with my method.  I believe that it poses a FAR less chance of catastrophy than even the smaller grid basket......at mere pennies.

Phil
« Last Edit: December 20, 2007, 08:22:28 PM by comptrguru »

Marlyece

« Reply #94 on: December 20, 2007, 09:41:58 PM »
No, I understand what you mean, if you're ever roasting a bean that is very small in general the grid will actually help with this if you're roasting small beans often, rather than having 1/2 the beans slip out during a cool mode session.  Your method is great for those stray beans but not quite as effective for a bean that is half the size of an average bean. :)

scott

« Reply #95 on: December 21, 2007, 06:40:38 AM »
Hey all--I haven't posted much here, and not for a long time, but I think it is very important to point out that   UPS Ship Notification is reading "Out for Delivery." Those are sweet words!

Have been reading the manual and this thread very carefully in anticipation.

I like lighter roasts and like to do a pound at a time, so this machine looks ideal (I've been using an iRoast for the last few years and a FreshRoast before that).

Would slightly less than a pound (14 oz.) at P1/A be a reasonable place to start learning this machine?

thanks,

scott

dbcoffee

« Reply #96 on: December 21, 2007, 12:55:49 PM »

Would slightly less than a pound (14 oz.) at P1/A be a reasonable place to start learning this machine?

thanks,

scott

Yes, that's how I roast my Kenya's.  I'm still trying to figure out the other roast profiles.  Oh, I roast 9 oz on the 1lb setting.  I think my voltage out of the wall is a little low.  I tried 9oz of a Papa New Guinea on the p5 profile and brought it up to about 20 seconds in 2nd crack...   I think that roast with the cool cycle took 35 minutes or more....   

dbcoffee

SeeGars

« Reply #97 on: December 21, 2007, 01:09:25 PM »
I must say that I hate my Behmor because despite lots of smoke and a small fire, it never got beans into third crack.... ;D

:D

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #98 on: December 21, 2007, 01:20:33 PM »
I must say that I hate my Behmor because despite lots of smoke and a small fire, it never got beans into third crack.... ;D

:D

Just blast 2 heat guns into the roast chamber via a hole you cut with a Dremel tool.

Easy fix.  8)

John F
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

Roasting Realtor

« Reply #99 on: December 21, 2007, 07:11:45 PM »
Has anyone tried to roast the lovely Maui Moka in this?  I wonder if even the new small screen will hold them?

Offline comptrguru

• Standard User
« Reply #100 on: December 21, 2007, 08:54:10 PM »
First, let me apologize to Marlyece.  I blame my inadequate abilities to communicate succinctly.  From you responses to my posts, I can see that you don't have a good grasp on my points.  Please, for safety sake, pre-roll all your DP greens before your roast....small grid basket or not.  That may very well help prevent a fire...or worse.  I'm going to go on with my post.  Because the following is based on my previous posts, you may want to skip them to avoid further confusion.

I've included a pic of the ~14gm of Harrar that went through the Behmor large grid screen.  This is the sum total for ~2282gm of green coffee.  This is about 0.6% dropped beans.   As you can see, many of these beans are very small or broken.  The current grid size of the Behmor basket Is .080".  The new grid will measure .071"  A spot check of the beans pictured here indicates that over 25% or at least 4.5gm are small enough to pass the .071" grid.  That means that a 1lb roast will still drop about 1gm of beans with the small grid basket.  In my mind that is significant enough to warrant concern.  Joe B. seems to be under the impression that .071" is small enough to prevent bean drop.  I don't think so.  I doubt that the roaster could utilize a much smaller grid than .071" and operate properly.  The thermal mass would increase significantly and the bean exposure to heat would be less.  I believe that such change would require significant re-programming to be utile.  That might not even work.  This all becomes mute if one simply does a pre-roast 'dry roll' to drop undersized beans and fragments.  Especially for DP, decaffe and robusta beans.  In support of Joe B. , I feel that this machine is very well thought out and engineered.  Personally, I still see no need of smaller grid baskets.

I did make one more very alarming discovery.  It's potentially fire and even serious injury producing.  I noticed a rather large quantity of fine dust among the dropped beans.  The  5# of Harrar produced about 3gm of fine dust like material.  Microscopic examination showed the material to be nearly all organic in origin.  I surmise that most would be berry, chaff and bean dust.   I wondered about flash-over volatility.  I tested the powder like one would test lycopodium powder, over an open candle flame.  The powder was nearly as volatile as lycopodium powder.  In other words nearly explosive.  I would worry that this dust could, under a rare circumstance, concentrate near the quartz lamps and flash-over.  This would be similar to a mini coal mine dust explosion.  The resultant explosion could blow the door open thereby releasing flame and heat.  I have heard of similar mishaps among commercial roasters.  Again, this scenario could be easily reduced or eliminated by simply pre-rolling the greens and vacuuming the resultant dust before the actual roast.  For me, I will never roast a DP bean without doing this first.....with any size grid basket.

Phil

« Last Edit: December 22, 2007, 05:29:13 PM by comptrguru »

Offline kelppaddy

• Standard User
« Reply #101 on: December 21, 2007, 10:10:58 PM »
I've roasted at least ten roasts of decafs, Brazils and Harrars averaging 14-15oz. each and haven't had a fire problems yet.  There has been quite a bit of chaff build up in the front two corners and some dropped beans, but no fires.  I think it is important that you don't open the door during the first 1 1/2 minutes of cooling so the hot chaff doesn't get a fresh blast of oxygen.  Also you don't want to leave the roaster unattended.  In a longer roast the beans could get to a point past 2nd crack where they might catch on fire.

kelppaddy 
« Last Edit: December 22, 2007, 09:59:29 AM by kelppaddy »

Marlyece

« Reply #102 on: December 22, 2007, 07:12:44 AM »
Thank you for that clarification, Phil. Your points are very helpful...I can see how people have a concern for potential fire.  I will keep this in mind when roasting. Perhaps I'll use my IR2 for the really small stuff  :)

Offline John F

• White Rabbit
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Coffee elitist
« Reply #103 on: December 22, 2007, 07:30:18 AM »
I think it is important that you don't open the door during the first two minutes of cooling so the hot chaff doesn't get a fresh blast of oxygen.   

Oh man, really?

One of the things we did when testing it was to open the door immediately and blow a fan in there to cool faster.  :o

John F
"At no point should you be in condition white unless you are in your bed sleeping with your doors locked."

Lee Morrison

SeeGars

« Reply #104 on: December 22, 2007, 08:17:13 AM »
I drilled a hole into the top and ran the hose from this Zimmer Machine into it.  It delivers -34oC air into the roasting chamber whenever it hits the cooling cycle... Top that one.. ;D