Author Topic: Behmor 1600 Profiles / Q&A / Tips & Tricks  (Read 94694 times)

gfoster

Re: Behmor 1600 - Q's and A's, Roasting Tips and Suggestions
« Reply #180 on: April 04, 2008, 04:29:07 PM »
One very consistent theme I've seen across multiple coffee boards and mailing lists is the *amazing* customer service Joe offers.  I can tell you I absolutely will buy another behmor when/if he comes out with version 2 and I'll ship off my version 1 to my mom or to a friend.

This behmor is my first roaster and at this rate, I'll be a coffee roaster (and a behmor user) for life.  I can't imagine a better way to start out.

-- Gary F.

Offline Joe52

• Standard User
« Reply #181 on: April 04, 2008, 06:01:42 PM »
Amen G F!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Joe
Fear not,O land;be glad and rejoice:for the Lord will do great things. Joel 2:21

Offline bwilson

• Standard User
  • Hi - My name is Bruce and I'm a Coffeeholic
« Reply #182 on: April 05, 2008, 07:34:22 AM »
What timing.  I had been noticing a strange cyclic vibration/hum sound coming from the right side of the roaters whilst roasting.  The motor would also go up and down in its sound as well.  I contacted Joe for advice.  He had me try several things and during the tests received an Error 6 as well.  Look this error up and you'll see that you are possibly hosed.  I have a new roaster in the mail.  Dealing with Joe was a joy!  I'm not used to being treated so well.

I just lover this roaster!
As a man sows, so he shall reap - Law of Karma

Offline tahoejoe

• Standard User
« Reply #183 on: April 05, 2008, 02:04:21 PM »
Firstly.. thank you all for the kind words..

Next if anyone has a problem or concern............

PLEASE email tech@behmor.com before doing anything. Given I know the sysem better than anyone on the planet other than one engineer I'll probably be able to take care of the issue quickly, as in one call or ask you to perform tests that will help us take the proper course of action.  Include contact data and brief description of then issue..

Even on weekends I check my business emails regularly...

It was only by chance I rec'd a notice at a little used email addy of mine a message had been sent from someone here..

Again PLEASE before doing anything contact me via the business site.. I want everyone taken care of quickly and properly but can't if I'm blind to the issue...

If you happen to not hear from me within a few ahours.. I will respond... even on weekends...

Glacier

« Reply #184 on: April 06, 2008, 11:01:22 AM »
the dude is on it- i fired a mssg over last night and he was back to me almost immediately!

;D

I like it,

RBasow

« Reply #185 on: April 06, 2008, 01:44:34 PM »
I just got this roaster and am beginning to play with it and the different profiles.  The one thing which is striking so far in my early experimentation is just how even the roast is.  It really is just beautiful!  Even the ones I've completely screwed up.

I've been using the P2 profile and I'm trying to figure out the timing of the roast.  In this profile, the temperature drops towards the end of the roast and I'm not sure where you should be at the point where it drops.  Should that be occuring at the start of 1st crack?  If so, then I need to add more time to the start of the roast.  My first few roasts have been getting to 1st crack well after this temp drop.   Is this what I should be expecting?  Am I overthinking things here?   

scott

« Reply #186 on: April 08, 2008, 05:20:12 AM »

I've been using the P2 profile and I'm trying to figure out the timing of the roast.  In this profile, the temperature drops towards the end of the roast and I'm not sure where you should be at the point where it drops.  Should that be occuring at the start of 1st crack?  If so, then I need to add more time to the start of the roast.  My first few roasts have been getting to 1st crack well after this temp drop.   Is this what I should be expecting?  Am I overthinking things here?   

It's my understanding that the drop should occur between cracks, in order to stretch out the time between them.

However, I've only used P1--so take that with a grain of salt.

BoldJava

« Reply #187 on: April 08, 2008, 05:44:02 AM »
Sometime after the first crack has occurred, the temp drops as the heat of the bean mass is carrying sufficient heat to keep the roast moving along.  I have attached the P2 profile below.  Also, take a look at section 5 of the manual for an understanding on how to lengthen/shorten different "legs" of the profile.  I am still trying to better understand that as I would like to lengthen the time of the first leg (programmed to initiate 'leg 2' at 65% of the way thru roast).

I use P2 frequently but it can be a tricky profile.  I listen intently for cracks as you don't get the loudness and duration that you experience with the same bean using P2 vs P1.  I feel it needs a longer, higher temp for 'leg 1' and then a reduction in temp.  I dropped Joe a note to make sure I am doing it correctly.

I will post Joe's response.  He knows the machine.  Why guess?

B|Java
« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 06:05:05 AM by BoldJava »

dbcoffee

« Reply #188 on: April 10, 2008, 03:58:41 PM »
Sometime after the first crack has occurred, the temp drops as the heat of the bean mass is carrying sufficient heat to keep the roast moving along.  I have attached the P2 profile below.  Also, take a look at section 5 of the manual for an understanding on how to lengthen/shorten different "legs" of the profile.  I am still trying to better understand that as I would like to lengthen the time of the first leg (programmed to initiate 'leg 2' at 65% of the way thru roast).

I use P2 frequently but it can be a tricky profile.  I listen intently for cracks as you don't get the loudness and duration that you experience with the same bean using P2 vs P1.  I feel it needs a longer, higher temp for 'leg 1' and then a reduction in temp.  I dropped Joe a note to make sure I am doing it correctly.

I will post Joe's response.  He knows the machine.  Why guess?

B|Java

Did you hear anything?   I've been trying to better understand the adjustment of the "legs" of the roast as well...   

Dan

BoldJava

« Reply #189 on: April 10, 2008, 05:53:51 PM »
Did you hear anything?   I've been trying to better understand the adjustment of the "legs" of the roast as well...   

Dan

Joe said:  >>>

It is always pct to total that changes.   Easiest way to think of what you are doing is...draw two lines on a piece of paper so as to create an open area, line, open area, line then, open area.

Now say you have a profile of 33/33/33... at 21:00... so each open area has 7 min...hit start...now you add to 2 min ot the time.

The first and second spaces still are 7.. last is 9.. you hae changed pct to total.

Do the reverse...and subtract 2... 7, 7, 5...

Again it is pct ot toal that changes... What I do with P2 is 1 P2... then start... then later add time.. it lengthens the final leg to draw it out of the down trend/low heat..>>>

I don't think there is a way to stretch 1st, which I was after.

B|Java

Offline kelppaddy

• Standard User
« Reply #190 on: April 10, 2008, 06:57:48 PM »
If you add time before you start the roast and then subtract time right after you push start, you will lengthen the 1st and 2nd segment of the roast and shorten the 3rd segment.

kelppaddy

Glacier

« Reply #191 on: April 10, 2008, 08:36:50 PM »
If you add time before you start the roast and then subtract time right after you push start, you will lengthen the 1st and 2nd segment of the roast and shorten the 3rd segment.

kelppaddy

that's what I thought..but when I roast, I get confused...and have blown a couple batches and almost had a pretty serious chaff fire.

:o

be very careful, and do not fo to far into second crack and be very aware of how much chaffe you are getting from your beans for future consideration...they reccomend lower chaff beans.

dbcoffee

« Reply #192 on: April 10, 2008, 11:08:03 PM »

Dan

Joe said:  >>>

It is always pct to total that changes.   Easiest way to think of what you are doing is...draw two lines on a piece of paper so as to create an open area, line, open area, line then, open area.

Now say you have a profile of 33/33/33... at 21:00... so each open area has 7 min...hit start...now you add to 2 min ot the time.

The first and second spaces still are 7.. last is 9.. you hae changed pct to total.

Do the reverse...and subtract 2... 7, 7, 5...

Again it is pct ot toal that changes... What I do with P2 is 1 P2... then start... then later add time.. it lengthens the final leg to draw it out of the down trend/low heat..>>>

I don't think there is a way to stretch 1st, which I was after.

B|Java

I **thought** and again, this is where i get confused.  You can extend all legs of the roast by the A, B, C, and D option.  Before the roast starts if the '+' and '-' are used to adjust the second leg and after the roast is started the '+' and '-' adjust the third leg.   

So to length the first leg you would have to maximize the the roast time by doing something like this 1lb P2 'C', maximize the first leg, a bunch of '-' to lower the second roast before the roast starts, depending on the type of bean  and then a bunch of '+' to after the roast is started to ensure a complete roast.  Finally, standby to hit cool is ensure the roast doesn't start a fire.

Does this make sense?

Glacier

« Reply #193 on: April 12, 2008, 11:39:03 AM »
OK- so I can't beleive this..but I ended up having almost 1  1/3 lbs left of the 2006 Buttwhiskers Distro of the now infamous Guat Trapachitos, so I am roasting half (3/4 lbs) of it today and saving the remaining compare with the 2007 and the 2008 soon to be crop.

I'll keep ya posted  ;D

Update-

3/4 lb beans at 1 lb setting + P2+B = Dang near perfection at 1st snap of second crack cooling cycle started 3 seconds following that...now that is when you know you got it all rolling for ya.

8)

« Last Edit: April 12, 2008, 12:46:31 PM by Glacier »

Glacier

« Reply #194 on: April 12, 2008, 12:52:53 PM »
Does anybody mind if we move this over to the Equipment forum?

;D

Edit-

Thanks to the powers that be that moved this - just seemed like it should be over here...

;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: April 12, 2008, 04:48:31 PM by Glacier »