Author Topic: Krups Moka Brew  (Read 5991 times)

BoldJava

Krups Moka Brew
« on: January 01, 2008, 09:09:50 AM »
KMB gives a great cup.  I grabbed our unit off eBay about a year ago, before it was reintroduced by Krups.  I use 60g of coffee (ground at the fine side -- same grind as a stovetop moka pot, 5.0 on a Macap) to 35 oz of water - max capacity in the carafe.

Interesting how Krups reintroduced it.  They played for about 2 months with different price points.  From that, they clearly determined that they could offer it for $129.99 MSRP. For a couple of days/week <?>, the price point was as low as $90.  Demand at the higher price showed it could handle the $130 mark.

You can find it out there for $115-120 on Amazon and eBay.  Glad I bought when I did.

B|Java

BoldJava

Re: Krups Moka Brew
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2008, 08:01:42 AM »
KMB gives a great cup.  I grabbed our unit off eBay about a year ago, before it was reintroduced by Krups.  I use 60g of coffee (ground at the fine side -- same grind as a stovetop moka pot, 5.0 on a Macap) to 35 oz of water - max capacity in the carafe.

With the dollar shipping against the Euro, it is now $130.  Couple of them new, on Amazon, at $100 or on eBay.

http://tinyurl.com/5hl5fj
http://tinyurl.com/59q6u6

We really enjoy ours.

B|Java
« Last Edit: July 19, 2008, 08:03:34 AM by BoldJava »

thejavaman

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2008, 09:12:48 AM »
Dave, is the 8 cup model the only one they make?  If they made a 10 or 12 cup model, I might be tempted to get one of these.  I tried to Google it, but the only ones I could find are the 8 cup models.....

BoldJava

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2008, 09:27:17 AM »
Dave, is the 8 cup model the only one they make?  If they made a 10 or 12 cup model, I might be tempted to get one of these.  I tried to Google it, but the only ones I could find are the 8 cup models.....

Yes, that is the only one.  It makes 32 oz of Jo.

B|Java

thejavaman

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2009, 06:21:59 AM »
I know this thread is old, but I just bought a Krups Moka Brew yesterday and I wanted to see if anyone had any additional opinions and/or pointers for me on this machine.  From everything I've read, it seems to be a great little brewer...
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 06:24:19 AM by thejavaman »

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2009, 09:06:25 AM »
Fuggeddabout the paper filters, and cut out a piece of rasqual's 5 micron poly felt instead.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

thejavaman

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2009, 09:27:11 AM »
I have been testing out my new Krups Moka Brew here recently and I have to say that I am very impressed so far.  The brew is sort of like a cross between drip and espresso.  It brings out flavors and nuances not produced in a regular auto. drip brewer.  Worth the somewhat hefty pricetag IMO....

BoldJava

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2009, 03:41:21 AM »
Using the KMB for the week, to give our vacpots a rest.  Hey, we all need rest, no?

Some coffees are excellent in it.  The original filters do have a tendency to hold back some flavor <solids and oils?>; Melittas let more through. This morning, working over the Mexican natural from CFS with a KBM filter.  The brewer minimized the fruit, softened the cup a bit, but the fruits came in at the cool end.  Interesting.  I will drag out some Rasqualleldfelt® and do a side by side between the KBM and a vacpot sometime but use Wisconsin water rather than the brown water they evaluate, then drink down south.

Got curious and looked them up on Amazon.  They are going for $140 shipped now.  (I can see Peter dusting his off for an eBay auction).  I will still give him $50 for his and save the aging lad the packing time.

B|Java
« Last Edit: September 29, 2009, 03:50:34 AM by BoldJava »

Offline peter

• The Warden - Now Retired
  • Retired Old Goats
  • Monkey Club Cupper
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2009, 06:00:08 AM »
You are more than kind, B|Bargainhunter, putting my needs ahead of your own.

The only way I ever use the KMB is with the rasqual-felt-filter.  You'll notice a world of improvement, and will get a nice cup out of it.
Quote of the Day; \"...yet you refuse to come to Me that you

Offline George Coury

• Standard User
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2009, 05:15:40 AM »
Using the KMB for the week, to give our vacpots a rest.  Hey, we all need rest, no?

Some coffees are excellent in it.  The original filters do have a tendency to hold back some flavor <solids and oils?>; Melittas let more through. This morning, working over the Mexican natural from CFS with a KBM filter.  The brewer minimized the fruit, softened the cup a bit, but the fruits came in at the cool end.  Interesting.  I will drag out some Rasqualleldfelt® and do a side by side between the KBM and a vacpot sometime but use Wisconsin water rather than the brown water they evaluate, then drink down south.

Got curious and looked them up on Amazon.  They are going for $140 shipped now.  (I can see Peter dusting his off for an eBay auction).  I will still give him $50 for his and save the aging lad the packing time.

B|Java
Bold One,
As I doubt a google search will turn up anything useful on this topic, where may a commoner purchase the exculsive Rasqualleldfelt filter. ( Like what is it and where would you find it) We also on occasion use our KMB and enjoy it.
George

BoldJava

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2009, 05:17:04 AM »

Bold One,
As I doubt a google search will turn up anything useful on this topic, where may a commoner purchase the exculsive Rasqualleldfelt filter. ( Like what is it and where would you find it) We also on occasion use our KMB and enjoy it.
George

I will scour my cabinets.  I think I have extra.

B|Java

cfsheridan

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2009, 05:30:36 AM »

Bold One,
George

I will scour my cabinets.  I think I have extra.

B|Java

If Dave's rummaging proves unsuccessful, I have an ample supply of the rasqualfelt.

BoldJava

« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2009, 05:32:39 AM »

If Dave's rummaging proves unsuccessful, I have an ample supply of the rasqualfelt.

So there is no confusion, it is Rasqualleldfelt® in my cabinet <grins>.

B|Java

Offline George Coury

• Standard User
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2009, 06:30:38 AM »
Thanks for the offer Chad.
Is the felt a reusable item?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 06:39:20 AM by gsc76 »

Offline J.Jirehs Roaster

• Standard User
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2009, 07:19:59 AM »
Thanks for the offer Chad.
Is the felt a reusable item?

Im not sure about the rasqualfelt?? but that Rasqualleldfelt® is the bomb... very reusable and adaptable I found my supply just the other day... need to try some pour over cones with it  ;)