Author Topic: Drip Dilemma  (Read 4680 times)

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

ButtWhiskers

Re: Drip Dilemma
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2008, 11:58:16 PM »
If you keep your eyes open on eBay, you will certainly find an airpot brewer for under $100 in time.  I have picked up a couple of them over the last two years.  I bought a refurbished Bloomfield 8773 last summer for $80 including shipping, and it was mint.  I installed it in the local community theatre building.  The thermostat allows it to be set up to 205?F, so it is actually possible to have it run too hot (the main function of the thermostat is for elevation).  One suggestion with homeroast, though:  you will frequently want/need to wet the grounds with hot water a minute or two before brewing to keep the bloom from getting out of hand and to allow a decent extraction.  A well-loaded basket of 2-3 day old homeroast can force the basket to overflow or pop off otherwise.

Offline shep

• Standard User
Re: Drip Dilemma
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2008, 04:44:56 AM »
I have one of these Bunn Airpot brewers as well. I use it every week to take samples to one of my retailers. I am very happy with it. It seems to brew on the weak side to me, so it may take more coffee than you used in your other machine. Experiments will tell you that. As Chris mentioned, because of the amount of coffee you use, you might have to look at a larger filter system so it does not overflow and fill your pot with grounds.

Shep
Vagabond, beach bum & motorcycle zealot: a restless soul in motion