Author Topic: Anyone own a La SpazialeMini Vivaldi II  (Read 3095 times)

Offline shep

• Standard User
Anyone own a La SpazialeMini Vivaldi II
« on: May 11, 2008, 06:38:27 PM »
Next big purchase will be a better espresso machine. Anyone have a La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II?

Shep
Vagabond, beach bum & motorcycle zealot: a restless soul in motion

kwksilver

Re: Anyone own a La SpazialeMini Vivaldi II
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2008, 07:19:13 PM »
don't!

The mini is completely castrated. It is not widely published, but the boiler size reduction and the heating element and ampere use reductions in the logic circuit they did for that make it completely incapable at firing both boilers like the normal vivaldi can @ 20amp. At the same time they had to massively shrink the boiler for that reservoir. They also don't say that out loud. It is very much marketing and cannot capitalize on what the whole doubler boiler concept is all about.

They did that whole thing as an after thought due to consumer demand. The machine is a misery. How would I know?

The guy who owns 1st-line actually is friends with Chris. And chris often asks him to service the Vivaldi's that break down here in the city. Guess who also talks with him as he services them?

Normal Vivaldi not a bad machine though. Funny electrical routing choices... and that fan is a rather ghetto solution to not having thought about heat when designing your electrical system.

Ask Taylor about his Brewtus, that is the direct competition and you have a longer time owner right here!

I have never seen her, but that new Domobar seems to be the calling from god in that category anyways.

Offline mp

• Standard User
  • Nothing like a nice shot!
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2008, 07:32:11 PM »
I have never seen her, but that new Domobar seems to be the calling from god in that category anyways.

Agreed ... in that price range the Vibiemme would be my preferred route to double boiler land.
1-Cnter, 2-Bean, 3-Skin, 4-Parchmnt, 5-Pect, 6-Pu
lp, 7-Ski

Offline shep

• Standard User
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 02:22:52 AM »
Thanks for that info guys!

Shep

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2008, 05:29:07 AM »
Thanks for that info guys!

Shep

Any time Shep ... remember ... everyone gets advice ... it's only the wise that prosper from it.

;D
lp, 7-Ski

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2008, 10:05:25 PM »
I got rid of my S1 VII after a year. Way too many reliability issues.  When it worked, I loved it.

Chris' Coffee service was very good, but that can only go so far when the thing keeps failing.  I spent as much time with a wrench as I did with an espresso cup.

ButtWhiskers

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2008, 10:35:13 AM »
Glad I have the S1 Vivaldi I.  Sounds like the V2 has some problems.  I've been using my S1V1 heavily for nearly 2 years, and it works like a charm.  Larry (liftoff) hooked me up with a winner...  For entertaining, it is just as good as having a commercial machine - I can pump out successive double shots and steam milk with the only limit being having only two arms.  The Astoria-branded Super Jolly that I got from DrJim has been a trooper, as well.  I haven't even considered upgrading either of them.

Offline shep

• Standard User
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2008, 05:52:14 PM »
I am a little ahead of myself as far as the purchase goes, but I guess I will have to give things a closer look. I have not devoted the time to research on machines like many of you have. The Mini was one of two recommendations given me by someone else. The other was the Andreja Premium. Aside from just wanting a good machine for personal use, I need a better machine than I have to work on espresso development. I am meeting this weekend with a coffeehouse owner to discuss supplying his coffee. Obviously, he will be needing a good espresso blend, something that can be harder to test on a cheap machine.

Shep

kwksilver

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2008, 07:34:55 PM »
I think if this may be part of your business, it might make sense to have a machine like your customers.

Many normal coffee shops go for the commercial Hx kind of game. They would not really be doing well on their coffee if you made thema  temperature sensitive blend like Dolce.
So I could see taking their equipment into account and building their blend with that in mind. Then it would really begin to make sense to look at a commercial HX.

IF they play the PID LM or Synesso game then you would probably want to just emulate that by going with one of the dedicated boiler machines.

You don't need a double boiler to have great temperature control. A PID silvia is just as capable. You just won't have the same kind of production rate (due to her fun ritual) and you can't be steaming while worrying about precisest of the temps.

But now that you mention your business aspect of it. i find that it deserves being taken into account.

Felix

Bud

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2008, 12:13:28 AM »
I?m kind of surprised to hear of  problems with a V2.  I have had a V2 (Full size plumebed S1) for over a year now with no problems what so ever.  I am so happy with the machine that I have no upgraditus, which I normally get with many of my toys.  Also, I went through a lot of research when shopping around for this machine and also considered a Brewtus.  After  ?spying? at both user groups, I came to a conclusion that the  La Spaziale appeared more reliable as far as user issues.  I guess one can get a lemon of any product.  Sorry to hear anyone has had a problem with what I think is a great machine.  Just thought I?d share my good experience.  I?d suggest going to see what other users say and draw your own conclusions.

Good Luck

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2008, 08:37:36 AM »
I would suggest lurking around the S1 forums. You can get a good feel for problems with machines when new, after a year, etc.

I still hang out there and post, mostly on the roasting topics.  The people there are great, just like around here, and that is the real reason I even go to it anymore.

http://www.rimpo.org/wforum/

Bud

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2008, 11:51:00 PM »
I would suggest lurking around the S1 forums. You can get a good feel for problems with machines when new, after a year, etc.

I still hang out there and post, mostly on the roasting topics.  The people there are great, just like around here, and that is the real reason I even go to it anymore.

http://www.rimpo.org/wforum/

I have also been a semi-active member at Chas's Spaz group for over a year, I agree the members there are great, as they are here.  Unless one is wealthy; quality espresso equipment can be a substantial investment, especially if one steps back and ponder a moment what the end purpose is:  to make a coffee beverage.    Chris I truly feel bad you had a bad experience with your Spaz, my biggest problem after over a year, is I will have to replace the group gasket soon, ( Chris?s coffee had the generous  foresight to include a spare with the machine. 
I think to be fair, the link for The Spaz's competitor should be listed.  Below is the link to the Brewtus group, although this group is not as organized as the Spaz group, if one Lurks there also, I believe they will get a sense of user?s experiences both the good, and frustrations, along with the service & support by the vendors.  Prospective buyers who are trying to decide between these two competing machines should scrutinize the post of both groups and draw their own conclusions.  My conclusion was to go with the V2 and over a year I?m more than happy with that choice, having said that, and I went the other way,  I may have been happy with the Brewtus also, but I have no regrets.  I purchased the Spaz over a year ago and that machine still turns me on, when I turn it on.

http://groups.google.com/group/brewtus/topics

good luck

Bud
P.S. I understand how disheartening it can be to make a major purchase only to find out that a short time later that you could have made a better choice.  I?m only posting this to give prospective buyers more tools to make their decisions- I have been there too, you know; this one or that one, that?s a lot of dough, are other owners happy, what kind of problems will it have, is it easy to get parts, should I plumb, ?..and a thousand other questions that race through ones mind when making a purchase like this. Again good luck.

kwksilver

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2008, 07:41:46 AM »
Shep, since I have to live in 110V for a while I am in a similar boat. For me the new Izzo duette and the Dalla Corte mini really stand out. They are not as well known, but maybe you want to look into them as well.

Felix

PS: I just read a pretty disturbing thing about the BrewtusII. Apparently by insulating the boilers they introduced a serious temperature creep problem with which they have effectively canceled all hopes of achieving what two boilers are supposed to. What happens is the refill water flowing through the steam boiler is over temp and if one exceeds 2 shots and if one exceeds 2 shots per minute the brew boiler exceeds temp and cannot shed it. The machine then restabilizes at 205.7-206.7 according to the article. (temps were scace temps @ group). This apparently goes away if one uses a very long tube from steam to brew boiler or if oen removes brew boiler insulation. Seems like sloppy design to me...

Offline mp

• Standard User
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2008, 08:07:18 AM »
PS: I just read a pretty disturbing thing about the BrewtusII. Apparently by insulating the boilers they introduced a serious temperature creep problem with which they have effectively canceled all hopes of achieving what two boilers are supposed to. What happens is the refill water flowing through the steam boiler is over temp and if one exceeds 2 shots and if one exceeds 2 shots per minute the brew boiler exceeds temp and cannot shed it. The machine then restabilizes at 205.7-206.7 according to the article. (temps were scace temps @ group). This apparently goes away if one uses a very long tube from steam to brew boiler or if oen removes brew boiler insulation. Seems like sloppy design to me...

Oh well ... that is the cost of a low price leader.

:)

lp, 7-Ski

kwksilver

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2008, 04:04:40 PM »
I mean grabbing that flimsy single layer insulation off the boiler really isn't a big deal, but I wonder if that truly fixes it. The underlying mechanism is still present. What if its a hot day? How much exacerbation if one runs a good 1.5 bar on the steam boiler? (Which i definitely would with such a dinky steam capacity)

I am hoping that the Izzo duetto or the Dalla corte are my way out. now that im stuck in 110V land for a year. Dunno. Certainly need something.

PS: I think Cimbali makes 110V commercials of the smaller (bistro) series? That would definitely be the real solution, if I can find that used.
Real procon pump, 15lb group head mass. Massive stainless steel boiler, Cimbali build quality....